I Got A Ps2!

MBJ

Well, I finally broke down the barrier of my Nintendo fanboyism recently and got a PS2. The decision was spurred by Guitar Hero 1 and 2 as well as Katamari Damacy. In addition to those games I also picked up Jak II. Does anyone have other recommendations for must have PS2 games? I'm considering checking out Final Fantasy X, Jak 3 (after I finish Jak II), Ratchet and Clank, and Kingdom Hearts. I'm not really into FPS or sports games but a good racing game might be fun.

Not sure why you picked up Jack 2 and are thinking about buying 3, but not getting the first. :blink:

I loved the original one, but the second one was not at all as good, and the 3rd one turned me off completely.

The thing is that the first one is a classic style 3D platformer, and one that's incredibly well done. While the second one pretty much dumped the pure platforming style and dove headfirst into the action/shooter genre.

The 3rd one takes this even a step further, so it's not really my thing.

I didn't like FFX as well, but considering how many people do, that might just be me.

Loved FF7 at the time, but hated 8, so that might give you an idea. ;)

Breath Of Fire is great though, as well as Dark Cloud 1 and 2.(Especially nr.2)

For a more traditional RPG, you can't go wrong with Dragon Quest 8 (Warrior) though. Although I preferred 7 on PSone.

Not sure if you're into SRPGs, but if you are then be sure to pick up the Nippon Ichi games.

Starting with Disgaea. Disgaea 2 off course, but also La Pucelle, Makai Kingdom and Phantom Brave.

As for racers, my favourite one on PS2 is Sega Rally 1995, but that was only released in japan, so you might want to check out Outrun 2006. Shox is also a great but not so well known arcade racer.

Oh and you just have to pick up ICO. It's simply one of the greatest experiences you'll find one the PS2.

After that Shadow Of The Colossus, which is by the same team.

I don't know if you're looking for classic arcade games, but there are a whole bunch on the system, ranging from the Taito Legends packs to Capcom Classics 1,2, Midway collections and a whole bunch of 2D shooters and fighters.

Mashed Fully loaded is a great multiplayer game as well, a bit in the style as Off-Road, but with weapons.

And don't forget Virtua Fighter 4 EVO and Maximo. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure why you picked up Jack 2 and are thinking about buying 3, but not getting the first. :blink:

I loved the original one, but the second one was not at all as good, and the 3rd one turned me off completely.

The thing is that the first one is a classic style 3D platformer, and one that's incredibly well done. While the second one pretty much dumped the pure platforming style and dove headfirst into the action/shooter genre.

The 3rd one takes this even a step further, so it's not really my thing.

I went with Jak 2 instead of 1 because I had just picked up some component video cables and wanted to test out the progressive scan function. Based on your recommendation I'll probably pick up Jak 1 before Jak 3 as I'm more a fan of classic platforming myself.