People Selling Retromags Scans!

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

If you see anyone on Ebay selling anything that we have released, Please report them ASAP. Retromags does not condone selling magazine scans for a profit. If this becomes a big enough problem on Ebay, most likely Nintendo will seek to shut down sites such as this one. Retromags accepts donations to help purchase old magazines, pay for hosting fee's and purchase scanners and supplies for scanning. Your Donations are not compensation for the scans and/or time spent on such scans!

QUOTED FROM AN EBAY LISTING!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=180139246008

Up for sale is a unique fabulous collection of 50 e-books from the Nintendo power magazine series, these magazines are on a DVD-CD in the PDF format. This is more convenient than having all these editions in paperback form.

The following editions are included:

Nintendo power 001 ? 1988 jul aug

Nintendo power 002 - 1988 sep-oct

Nintendo power 003 ? 1988 nov-dec

Nintendo power 004 - 1989 jan-feb

Nintendo power 005 ? 1989 mar-apr

Nintendo power 006 - 1989_may-jun

Nintendo power 007 - 1989_jul-aug

Nintendo power 008 - 1989_sep-oct

Nintendo power 009 - 1989_nov-dec

Nintendo power 010 - 1990_jan-feb

Nintendo power 011 - 1990_mar-apr

Nintendo power 012 - 1990 may-jun

Nintendo power 013 ? Mario 3 strategy

Nintendo power 014 - 1990 jul-aug

Nintendo power 015 ? ninja gaiden 2 strategy

Nintendo power 016 - 1990 sep-oct

Nintendo power 017 ? final fantasy strategy

Nintendo power 018 ? 1990 nov-dec

Nintendo power 019 ? 4 player extra

Nintendo power 020 - 1991_jan

Nintendo power 021 - 1991_feb

Nintendo power 022 - 1991_mar

Nintendo power 023 - 1991_apr

Nintendo power 024 - 1991_may

Nintendo power 025 - 1991_jun

Nintendo power 026 - 1991_jul

Nintendo power 027 - 1991_aug

Nintendo power 028 - 1991_sep

Nintendo power 029 - 1991_oct

Nintendo power 030 - 1991_nov

Nintendo power 031 - 1991_dec

Nintendo power 032 - 1992 jan

Nintendo power 033 ? 1992 feb

Nintendo power 034 - 1992_mar

Nintendo power 035 - 1992_apr

Nintendo power 036 - 1992_may

Nintendo power 037 - 1992_jun

Nintendo power 038 - 1992_jul

Nintendo power 039 - 1992_aug

Nintendo power 040 - 1992_sep

Nintendo power 041 - 1992_oct

Nintendo power 042 - 1992_nov

Nintendo power 043 - 1992_dec

Nintendo power 044 - 1993_jan

Nintendo power 045 - 1993_feb

Nintendo power 046 - 1993_mar

Nintendo power 047 - 1993_apr

Nintendo power 048 - 1993_may

Nintendo power 049 - 1993_jun

Nintendo power 050 - 1993_jul

The buyer will not be disappointed

DVD for your viewing on the computer

Note to buyer! This is a computer format DVD so it cannot be view on your DVD player. Only your computer will be able to read this DVD.

Adobe Acrobat reader has also been included for your convenience

The quality is excellent.

PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO ASK ANY QUESTIONS.

Please ask questions regarding the auction before bidding, rather then after bidding.

Post $3 Australia wide

Post $9 Worldwide

• 1 month later...
I reported the auction to eBay customer service as a sale of an unauthorized copy so hopefully it will be removed. I've made similar reports before when people tried selling xeroxed SMB3 player's guides.

That is a bunch of crap!

Not only because Nintendo and others can shut down a site like this, but because this jerk is making a profit off of someone else's hard work!

-Dawg

I have like 150 lbs of video game mags I was thinking of scanning. Should I put a tag on them stating, "if you paid for these, you were ripped off", or something when I scan them? Like a statement at the bottom of each page?

Personally I wouldn't mark the pages themselves, but rather include a jpeg along with them like we recently started doing.

Here's a smaller version: (if you want the big one, let me know and I'll put it up on yousendit)

-x-x-retromags-x-x-.jpg

Or, you could just include a txt file in the map where your jpegs are before you rar them and rename them to .cbr.

Anyway, if you're interested in joining our little project, you can always send a pm to Phillyman for FTP details and basically anything else.

Or if you have any questions or need some help, just let me know.

Oh, and glad to see some new people on here that are looking to contribute! :w00t:

As for lurkers, let's not forget. The more people decide to help out, the more magazines will be released, which will in turn motivate even more people to start scanning or editing. ;)

Personally I wouldn't mark the pages themselves, but rather include a jpeg along with them like we recently started doing.

Here's a smaller version: (if you want the big one, let me know and I'll put it up on yousendit)

-x-x-retromags-x-x-.jpg

Or, you could just include a txt file in the map where your jpegs are before you rar them and rename them to .cbr.

Anyway, if you're interested in joining our little project, you can always send a pm to Phillyman for FTP details and basically anything else.

Or if you have any questions or need some help, just let me know.

Oh, and glad to see some new people on here that are looking to contribute! :w00t:

As for lurkers, let's not forget. The more people decide to help out, the more magazines will be released, which will in turn motivate even more people to start scanning or editing. ;)

I'm only on a 15k up DSL connection. It would take a long time. I'd probably just send a DVD or whatever when I'm done. I got a lot of NP plus mags from like almost 20 years ago from the early NES years. I've had them since I was a kid, 30 now. Not sure I'll have time to do all the ones I want. Plus I got the torrented NP 100 issues so I'll only have to scan those that are missing. So roughly how much time are we talking here to scan a typical NP mag?

Not sure which Nintendo Powers are still missing. That's more Philly's expertise.

But I'm definitely looking forward to the 20 year old mags. Also being 30 myself and all... :laughing:

The time it takes to scan an issue depends on your scanner really.

If you have a regular flatbed manual scanner I'd say an hour or 2 to get scans that are nicely aligned and all.

If you debind the magazines and have an autofeeder, it could be much faster.

But what many people forget is that scanning is only half the work. Editing the scans takes up about the same time of the actual scanning. (Again depending on which scanner you use)

What you also can do is if you don't have a lot of time is like you said, simply scan the magazines, put them on a DVD, send it to Philly if possible. He will then put them op on the ftp and someone else can edit them afterwards.

Just make sure that if you decide to go this way, that you don't get the width of the pages under lets say 1400 pixels. As they will need to be resized to a width of 1280 and when the original scans are smaller than that, the quality of the scans will suffer immensely when blown up afterwards.

I have a Canon 8400F, pretty speedy and great quality which I bought just for my mom's family photos. So what should I save them as......tiff, jpeg...? I've had 1000+ photos I've scanned a few months back so I've been pretty happy not to have to touch the damn thing again. But I love my mags but also need to get rid of them, so I can't do it unless they're scanned first. And being a minimalist, I like to have things like that put on disc to save space and have it all in one neat collection. Paper only lasts so long.

I think the earliest NES mags I have are a 5-mag set of white NES mags, forgot the name but came packaged like that at Wal-Mart and as soon as I had money, I either went to buy a game or a game mag. if I couldn't afford a game. But after my haitus with all my family photos, I'm not sure how many I'll scan before I get sick of it and have to take a long break. But I'd definitely like to contribute.

I normally first save my files as PSFs, but that's the because I use PhotoStudio 5.5 that came with the Canon scanner. If I'm correct, the TIFF files would be very large right? Around 20-25MB per scan?

If so I would definitely save them as JPEGs at a quality of 90 or 9/10 should be more than enough.

A PSF freshly scanned is usually around 6MB with my setup, and when I save that image as a JPEG I get about 3MB, so that should be small enough to be able to download for editing later on.

I know what you mean about burning out. Scanning is a very boring and extremely repetitive job.

But it helps to break the monotony when you switch from one magazine to the next from time to time.

Like right now I'm doing Sega Saturn Magazine, and I have 36 issues to go.

But once I get a bit tired of the same old stuff, I switch over to a Dreamcast magazine, for which ever page needs to be scanned twice. Once from the left and once from the right, since the magazine is to wide for a regular scanner. Before taking the 2 pieces and cutting and pasting the page back together.

You'd be surprised how much it helps, even though you're basically still doing the same thing.

Also don't worry about putting the scanning aside for a bit.

Once you start seeing it as an obligation or a job, you will quickly tire of it.

It also helps when you love the subject you're scanning and when you're doing it also for yourself, like you said, to preserve the magazines so you can read them later on when you got rid of the actual copies.

• 2 weeks later...

Heheh, that sounds like the perfect way to stop these people. I think it's pretty sick to take advantage of somebody else's work like this, but I guess when it comes to digital files, it's pretty much impossible to stop it completely. There will always be another person who thinks they have found an easy way to make money from somebody else's work.