Playing Final Fantasy

Phillyman

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really glad to hear others having the same experience I did with the Final Fantasy series...

I loved FF7 as it was my first introduction to RPGs. I easily put 150+ hours into it until I'd maxed out all my characters HP, breeded a golden Chocobo, and then defeated Ruby, Emerald, and Diamond without looking.

But when FF8 hit I was shocked at the turn in direction. In my opinion, this is the best Final Fantasy for the intelligent story and complete world. Triple Triad is a wonderful little mini-game. But this is the last FF title I completed.

As time went on I found my ability to care decreased exponentially. I played though most of FFIX, less of FFX, and didn't even want to know about FFXI.

Last year when FFXII hit I really tried to get interested, but to be honest, I think that game was a disaster. I enjoyed the new combat approach but everything else was awful. The character designs, loctions, and storyline made me wonder if they'd hit rock bottom. In recent years I've tried to get into the older FF games through emulation or the old PSOne re-releases, but I think I've missed the boat. It simply seems like too much of a commitment after a few hours or repetitive gameplay.

The one title I was able to play without crying was ChronoTrigger. I'd never played it back when released but even today it holds up to be a lighthearted romp through time. Simply a joy to play.

• 1 month later...
So after years and years since this game has come out , I have finally picked up a copy of Final Fantasy for the PSP, I wasnt into RPG games that much as a kid, So about the closest I got to one was LoZ for the NES. Out of 13 Final Fantasy titles, the only one I have played thru to the end was FF7. I logged about 90+ hours into FF7 when it first came out, and other then getting knights of the round and beating the 2 gem bosses, I pretty much crushed Sephiroth at the end. I bought FF8 and FFX, but none of those 2 kept my interest, I also have FF12 and havent had time for it. So now I am going back to the beginning and playing the first one. I think I tried playing it on the DS a few months ago and when Garland kicked my butt I kinda backed away from it for a while, But I decided to pick up a copy the other day at EB Games, and when I got home I made sure to level up a few times before going into battle with him again, I must say I am impressed with the graphic overhaul they did on this game, I can only hope that one day my FF7 game will be re-released on PSP or the PS3, I can honesty say that I would buy a PS3 just to play FF7 with updated graphics, just as I am going to be buying a Xbox 360 when Halo 3 comes out

So anyone else play thru Final Fantasy 1?

-Phillyman

I've played all the "numbered" final fantasies of so far.(I only need to pass FF6 all the way...it's the only FF I haven't passed all the way, bonus items and ect... Their remakes and such, currently I am playing FF9 and FF5(gba edition). However I strongly dislike any FF7 sidegames FF10 and up are also quite bitter in my book.

I'm really glad to hear others having the same experience I did with the Final Fantasy series...

I loved FF7 as it was my first introduction to RPGs. I easily put 150+ hours into it until I'd maxed out all my characters HP, breeded a golden Chocobo, and then defeated Ruby, Emerald, and Diamond without looking.

But when FF8 hit I was shocked at the turn in direction. In my opinion, this is the best Final Fantasy for the intelligent story and complete world. Triple Triad is a wonderful little mini-game. But this is the last FF title I completed.

As time went on I found my ability to care decreased exponentially. I played though most of FFIX, less of FFX, and didn't even want to know about FFXI.

Last year when FFXII hit I really tried to get interested, but to be honest, I think that game was a disaster. I enjoyed the new combat approach but everything else was awful. The character designs, loctions, and storyline made me wonder if they'd hit rock bottom. In recent years I've tried to get into the older FF games through emulation or the old PSOne re-releases, but I think I've missed the boat. It simply seems like too much of a commitment after a few hours or repetitive gameplay.

The one title I was able to play without crying was ChronoTrigger. I'd never played it back when released but even today it holds up to be a lighthearted romp through time. Simply a joy to play.

I am the same way... I was all hyped about FF8 when it first came out, but the whole idea of the enemies leveling up along with you ended up hurting me in Disc 3. When I had to fight Rajin and Fujin inside Pandora's box, they were way too strong and I had to start the whole game over. And it also didn't help that I had no idea I was on my way to outer space until the rocket fired up its engines.

I didn't like FFX too much either. The graphics are amazing, and still like a game released on the PS2 today... but ugh... the characters are annoying (minus Jecht... he's awesome).

And I have FFXI with the HDD for PS2, and the registration process was too much. I kept getting DNS errors left and right when trying to enter the free 1 month code that came with it... now I just use the HDD for loading up the Street Fighter Alpha Anthology... A MMO would be fun on a console though. (Let's hope GTAIV does it right)

As for FFXII... I actually liked the story. Partly because it wasn't about saving the world and concentrated on just one kingdom, one war. I liked that it focused on people's concrete motives and kind of kept things within reality (well... minus the whole magic stuff). I think it is truly the closest thing to a MMO on a DVD. It's absolutely a monster of a game. But after I beat it I found out that the usual FF director, writer, character artist, and even Nobuo Uematsu didn't contribute to the game after the initial demo area after the castle. I think it is Tetsuya Nomura that actually refuses to play it after the title credits play. Plus, some of the enemies are kinda lame. The two biggest optional bosses have 8 million and 50 million HP respectively... and you can whittle them down bit by bit while you leave the area and heal up and save the game. I'm all for extra challenges... but I hope the remake of FFVII will contain better bosses to make me stronger. (Let's just hope a remake is in the cards though.)

And about a FFVII remake... I think they'll do it when they have nothing to regret - gameplay and graphics wise. They need to make the whole planet and a world map. All the newer Final Fantasy's and RPGs are map based because they render the environments around their characters, and have to continue a trail through the woods as if it were a hallway through a mansion... with endzone areas and loading times. A giant planet is possible though... list look at GTA:SA or Dragon Quest VIII. Sorry for such a long post but I hope someone finds it useful.

I've played through a large majority of the Final Fantasy titles, and yet the Dragon Warrior/Quest series has always eluded me. Why am I missing out :o

Also, while on the subject of Dragon Warrior -- anyone played the PS2 game that came out for the series?

I bought DQVIII for a few reasons:

1) the hype... I've heard the rumors of Japan's Gov't ordering them to only be released on weekends because of too many people playing hookie to buy it first. So they must be good.

2) Akira Toriyama. I'm a DBZ fan... so I thought it'd be neat to see the same art style in an RPG.

3) The magazine reviews. I only buy high rated games, and several publications gave it a 9 +

4) I guess I sould say it came with a FFXII demo... but it definitely wasn't a major reason for the purchase.

I enjoyed the game a lot. It has full voice acting, which is more than most other RPGs at the time (2005). Well, some of the voice acting was really annoying... the monsters all has lisps and every foreigner had a Russian accent. The soundtrack was also updated from the Japanese version with a full orchestra, which was nice. Now, I haven't played any previous DQ title, so all the enemies were neat to fight... but apparently, enemies are to Dragon Quest what items (potions, phoenix downs, etc) are to Final Fantasy... they're the SAME in every release. So don't think, 'oh hey, this is a cool monster'... because they've been using the same ones since DQ1.

But story-wise (NO spoiler), it's kind of the usual good=light/white vs. bad=dark/black crap that's in every game that is made without much thought. I think anyone would like it for the graphics and sound alone... and it being only $20 new means it is easy to resell for a cool $20 if you don't like it after all. Oh, and the game mechanics are solid too. There's no ultra hard bosses or flimsy controls for fuss over. I'd give it a 9/10

If I ever get my free PS3 (doing one of those free chain sites) then I'll probably pick up the new FF when it gets released 2009? 2010? I typically don't buy systems that have not been hacked though so my fingers are crossed there.... Having said all that I find myself buying more and more 360 games. I managed to snag a sealed Bioshock limited edition off ebay the other day and I have GTA IV limited edition pre'd and certainly will pre Fallout 3 :)

I think Final Fantasy games overall are great, they have great stories and game play. What I cannot understand is the trend to make the male characters so feminine, whats up with that? What happened to Cecil the Dark Knight, rough and silent type of hero. Why do they now have those annoying underwear type metrosexual models in the game.

• 1 month later...

That game was the reason I got into RPG's.

When I was little, that was one of the only games we had (along with startropics and SMB3), so i played it a lot.

I never beat it though, until 2006, when I beat it on the GBA *shame*

Yeah, I know I wimped out on the GBA version, but at least I got to sample a bit of the greatness that was the first FF

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!

I Played Final Fantasy in PS and its great, now I want to try playing it on XBOX360. Can you give me some tips so that when I play it on XBOX360 it will be easier. hehe, this is the Best Game I ever Played.

I hope that there will be more episodes! and thanks for this Website, I learned a lot about Final Fantasy.

ruEL

Highly relevant, efficient advertising to forum, blog, wiki and other types of web sites. Drive large number of visitors to your website and build quality links. http://www.widecircles.com

• 3 weeks later...
I wish I could play FFXI offline just to check the game places out. I did with World of Warcraft. And having my own FFXI world would rock.

I thought the same but believe me, it´s not worth the time... I LOVE FF games, all of them but XI is not too great. I pay the suscription for 6 months and ended up playin only like 6 hours... I couldn´t complete the very first quest and there was nothing that kept me trying...

If you really want to check this game though, you can get for $1.99 the trial version in EB games and Gamestop and play it for 15 or 30 days, I don´t remember. You´ll need after the instalation to download a patch for almos 4 hours with a good connection... so don´t get too exited after you´re done with the instalation.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest thefunkyredcaboose

I love VI, VII, IX and X, never was able to get into the others in the same way. IV was pretty good too.

• 1 month later...

I've played thru Final Fantasy 1 several times with basically same team (Knight, Black Belt, Red Mage, Black Mage).

Only other FF games that I've finished are FF V and FF X. Just can't get interested enough in the others to finish them.

Edited by crunchyone

• 3 weeks later...
So now I am going back to the beginning and playing the first one. I think I tried playing it on the DS a few months ago and when Garland kicked my butt I kinda backed away from it for a while

Garland kicked your butt?? Pardon me, but ....

AHAHAHAA ((rofl))

Ahem, sorry bout that. But that *does* remind of this, and this, and this ,and finally this.

But yeah, I've played through Final Fantasy on the original NES and huge gray plastic cartridge a bunch of times.

I've also played through all the numbered Final Fantasys, though to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the series (give me Dragon Warrior/Quest anyday B) ). Yes, they are really fun games, but they never really struck me as being 'the greatest series ever!!' as some gamers would make them out to be.

I'd have to say that my favorite of the bunch is VIII. I enjoyed the characters and the story a lot and the final battle was one of the craziest I've played in a long time. I forgot most of the details about the game, but I was fighting the sorceress in the final round with only Squall (everyone else was taken away) and completely ran out of all items, etc. I had literally one last chance to kill her before I'd lose and, lo and behold, I got Squall's "Lionheart" (or whatever his super-high damage attack was) and killed her. I dropped the controller and danced around the living room I was so happy! That was a looooong battle and I was definitly relieved it was over.

I also really enjoyed XII. The real-time 'gambit' system that was used was really fun and made for nice, fluid battles that made the world seem more alive. I hope they use it again in future games.

My least favorite is probably II. I liked the level-up system that it used, but I don't think the designers implemented it very well. The 'cheat' you could use to level your characters was the only way I could stand to play through it. :P

I played the original Final Fantasy a little bit as a kid, but I didn't buy my own copy until later, by then my NES was crap so I never really beat the original Final Fantasy. My cousin had Final Fantasy II for the SNES, and back then we would swap RPGs, Final Fantasy II is still to this day my favorite Final Fantasy game. I probably beat Final Fantasy II 20 times from start to finish. I found Mystic Quest at a flea market around 1994 I think, I had already played Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy II at the time, and I honestly never heard of Mystic Quest, but it was a Final Fantasy game, so I bought it without hesitation. It was most certainly different, but I did enjoy it in the end of things. I borrowed Final Fantasy III from a friend and I think beat it twice within a month before giving it back. Chrono Trigger came out in 95(?) and I always considered it a Final Fantasy spin off for some reason.. I beat it more times than I can remember...

theeeeen Final Fantasy 7 came out, and that was my sole reason to buy a Playstation. I was blown away by the story,characters, and graphics. Heck, I restarted it again last week and I'm still enjoying it.

theeeeeen Final Fantasy Tactics came out, and while it wasn't my first TBStrategy RPG, it was my favorite, and I still haven't played a better one since. I was obsessed with FFT and probably beat it a dozen times. I replayed it last month actually and still enjoyed it just as much.

Final Fantasy VIII was a total let down for me, I hated the characters, I hated the battle system, I thought the gunblade was stupid.. I could go on, the graphics was very impressive though. I might replay this on a later date...

Final Fantasy Anthology came out after that I think. I mostly bought it for Final Fantasy V, which I had never played. I played the crap out of V, I maxed out all job classes, and maxed out all levels, but I couldn't beat the final boss for some reason. I wish I had the internet back then... I replayed Final Fantasy III again just to see the CGI scenes too..

let's see.. Final Fantasy IX was the last up-to-date Final Fantasy I ended up buying. I bought it when it came out, and I still think it's the best of the main three Final Fantasy titles on the PS1.

I watched a friend play through Final Fantasy X for about 10 hours, while the graphics and voice acting blew me away, I couldn't stand the characters, I bought the game in 2004 but for some reason never played it until 2 or 3 months ago. I liked a few elements about it, but yeah the characters stunk and it was extremely linear... I played Final Fantasy X-2 right after that, and I think I enjoyed it a little more than Final Fantasy X.. I mean, the characters were still annoying but it had less-Tidus crap and a better battle system, and it was completely non-linear.

I never played Final Fantasy XI or ever wanted to. I hated the idea of it and I wish it wasn't part of the main series. I also hated the idea of Final Fantasy XII but I did play it and ended up enjoying it more than I thought I would have. Not my favorite FF ever, but I still think it's a great game...

• 2 weeks later...

I went nuts over Final Fantasy III when it came out for snes. At the time, the game was mindblowing, and it had story elements no other game had even come close to having in that period.

Oddly enough as I read this post, I'm just now going back to the beginning of the series. Though to be honest the comments about the psp versions intrigue me...My daughter has a DS but I don't play it much and I've never touched a psp in my life so am unaware as to how good the improvements to these games are.

I guess I'm hoping for some sort of mega boxed set of the whole series on one of the next gen systems. That would be nice.

• 2 weeks later...
I bought DQVIII for a few reasons:

1) the hype... I've heard the rumors of Japan's Gov't ordering them to only be released on weekends because of too many people playing hookie to buy it first. So they must be good.

2) Akira Toriyama. I'm a DBZ fan... so I thought it'd be neat to see the same art style in an RPG.

3) The magazine reviews. I only buy high rated games, and several publications gave it a 9 +

4) I guess I sould say it came with a FFXII demo... but it definitely wasn't a major reason for the purchase.

But story-wise (NO spoiler), it's kind of the usual good=light/white vs. bad=dark/black crap that's in every game that is made without much thought. I think anyone would like it for the graphics and sound alone... and it being only $20 new means it is easy to resell for a cool $20 if you don't like it after all. Oh, and the game mechanics are solid too. There's no ultra hard bosses or flimsy controls for fuss over. I'd give it a 9/10

Yeah, Dragon Quest VIII is a quality game. I'm actually playing through it right now. I'm trying to get in to the Dark Cloud games too but am not quite there yet.

I didn't play FFI but I remember being completely blown away by FF II. That was my first roll playing game. I've also played FF X and mean to play FF XII at some point. FF XIII looks like it could be pretty cool.

Any idea on whether Dragon Quest/Warrior has anything coming out on current gen?

Wow, I feel old.

I played through FF on the NES, with the standard party. Followed it up many, many years later using my PSX and Origins, as Fighter/Thief/WhiteM/BlackM, and I'm going through again with that party. I like the way it plays. The best thing about FF1 to me is how it seems to be a hybrid between D&D and the rest of the FF series. I remember much agonizing over which spells my wizard would memorize for our quest in D&D, and having to horde spell usage in FF was a close approximation of that.

I cannot stand II. I'm going to work my way through it one of these days when I feel like wasting time on the leveling system- i.e., cheating like mad. Beyond that, I've played partway through III (Famicom) before, and completed IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, and IX. The PS2 ones seemed the worst of the series to me. Granted, X was beautiful looking, but the gameplay was horrible. I would rather play Dirge over and over again for eternity, even if the only level available was one of the Cait Sith ones, than sit through FFX again.

I've done IV as the SNES cart and on the PSX, and I must say that the original (japanese) version is so much better than the crap they brought over here the first time. Mystic Quest (I'll own up to it) was actually harder than most people realize when you were younger- the lack of a complex story was a problem when the game would dump you out of your current "quest" and you didn't realize you had missed something important. I got stuck for a week or so trying to figure out what I was supposed to be doing. Granted, FF1 was much harder, but sometimes I feel MQ gets a bad rap for hand holding. The game itself wasn't difficult, but the lack of coherent story got in the way of knowing what to do.

Oh, and Triple Triad was only mini-game I've refused to play other than when absolutely necessary. That game was a waste of time to program.