Playing Final Fantasy

Phillyman

oh man those new ff games are really lame. you would think that with the massive improvement of gfx, sound and animation that they would also improve the gameplay.

I felt that the ps1 were already linear enough but ff7, 8 and 9 were some of the most wasteful games ever. such massive worlds yet you barely ever re-visit any of them.

final 4 5 and 6 all had alternative WORLDS and those really made the game huger. they could have done a lot more with the underwater of ff7 i felt. they sure did a lot with the underwater stuff in saga/ legend series on gbc. I am however very pleased with ff12. I hope more ff titles are as large and neat as this one. but id be a lot happier if they remade a classic style final fantasy.

free range exploration is what makes an rpg. kind of like level select in a megaman game. if your stuck to a linear path your not really playing an rpg. the earlier ff games had that a little or at least made it look like you had it. if they make a good classic style ff thats hard as the first and long as 6 all you would need is the newer graphics to make it the best game ever made. (which many seem to argue is 6) the funny thing is that the games arent made for fans but more towards the child consumer base. more and more kids are playing games and they dont need to be smart to beat the games anymore.

they just need to buy more games.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah Final Fantasy, the one series that never fails to give me at least a good couple dozen hours of enjoyment! I have only played 1 and 2 on the re-released GBA version, but I did indeed finish FFI. FFII is another story....While I did enjoy that there were characters with actual names and backgrounds, the fighting system seriously put me off. Sure it makes sense, get hit more often = you gain more stamina/endurance/hp, but having to actually hit your own guys in battle just to have enough hp for a regular battle just got frustrating.

FFIII I never played until I got the DS version, but I am still playing it. Pretty fun so far, but the whole "Have to be out in the world map to save" thing is really annoying.

FFIV (or FFII back in the SNES days) I have completed and it is definitely one my top favorites. FFV I have beat on both the PS and GBA versions. FFVI (FFIII in SNES days) I have beat multiple times, number 1 on my favorites list, FFVII is where most Final Fantasy players got their start, FFVIII was definitely a departure from VII but I thought it was very good, I loved the challenge of having enemies become stronger as well. FFIX was very fun even though it wasn't as memorable for me as the past versions. FFX was a lot of fun but the whole skill grid didn't really mix well IMO. FFXI, well MMO so I never really bought it, and FFXII was very fun to play but the characters were a bit bland compared to the previous installments.

I hope to someday buy a PS3 for FFXIII and XIII:Versus, and find a friend that will let me borrow their PSP for Crisis Core.

I've decided to give up on Romancing SaGa for now. I can't even get either of the old partial translation patches from www.romhacking.net (formerly donut.parodius.com) to work at all (they lock up on New Game). I recently learned some of the Japanese alphabets from Project LRNJ, Wikipedia, and other sources, but I can't even read the menus, etc without slogging through a lengthy cross-referencing process. There's even a couple reference guides on gamefaqs, but it's still way slow going. Hopefully the latest attempt at a translation is actually finished some day; otherwise, I'll be stuck trying to find the PS2 remake. I'm trying to get through the original versions of the Square and Enix games though.

Ah well, next up is Dragon Warrior/Quest IV then V, and then the Super Famicom Final Fantasy V, the granddaddy of fan translation projects. :ph34r:

Did you know that the US Final Fantasy II was toned down to make it easier for US gamers? But if you enjoyed it you might be happy to hear that it's being released on the DS but done in the same style as Final Fantasy III DS.

*Insert usual argument for why people should stop calling it Final Fantasy II and start calling it IV like God and the designers intended*

Then go out and preorder IV DS because it looks sweet and pray that Squeenix decides to remake V in the same style.

I'm currently playing the Remake of Final Fantasy I on the Final Fantasy Origin disc from the Playstation One. It's ok, but what I find really frustrating is the lack of refillable magic spells. You only have a small number of each level of spells and the only way to refill them is by saving in an Inn or a Cottage. It's makes the dungeon crawling murder trying to save all the spells, especially the heal spells, for the final boss. Plus once getting to a place you're trying to get to in a dungeon is great and all, but then you have to turn around and go back, so you have to save even more spells for the return journey.

I've played and beaten Final Fantasy VII, which was the reason I bought the Playstation One in the first place and I've also beaten VIII and X. I tried playing X-2 for about 5 minutes and then shut it off. I felt like I was going to go into epileptic seizures or something.

Wow I guess I haven't played that version for some time. I thought the remake on the PSX had the updated game system with magic points rather than only a certain number of uses per magic level. But I wish they would have kept it that way on the GBA and PSP remakes as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think this is a good topic so I will bring it back :P

I've finished

Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy IV (Final Fantasy II USA)

Final Fantasy VI (Final Fantasy III USA)

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

I would have to say VI is probably the best one. But I enjoy playing Cecil quite a bit more than any other character so I have fond memories of Final Fantasy II, it was the second game of this series that I had besides the first one. I've played all other Final Fantasy games but haven't finished any other. I'm more of a Dragon Quest Man :D Sometimes I play Final Fantasy IX just for the tetramaster thing.

I got a gift card for Best Buy, so I picked up the Greatest Hits version of FF XII. There's a little damage to the clear plastic cover on the DVD case, so I even managed to get them to give me a 10% discount and got it for < $20.

I wasn't planning on getting it or playing it until I caught up on the previous games, but it seemed like a good deal. I was up to start FF V, but took a detour to replay the original again as I stated above. I still needed to restart FF VI (since my old cart is gone) and play through the next ones, also. But maybe I'll slip in some FFXII now since I have it, but not worry about completing it 100% until I get the rest done.

I'm playing Final Fantasy Tactics the war of the lions for psp. As always, the game's cool as long as you get Orlandou, then it's slaughterfest for the poor enemies. Man that creep is so powerful that it seems brocken...Using him is like cheating. Mereover, they added the cameos of balthier from FF12 and Luso from FFTA2: both overpowered if you ask me (tha first has the barrage skill that shoots 4 times in a row to a single foe, the second has the shout skill that pump the little moster a LOT in all stats)...The game is cool but still lacks character balancing...

• 2 weeks later...

The original probably ranks as my favorite NES game ever, alongside the memory of buying that shiny gold Legend of Zelda in 87 and spending $60 on it hah!

Always loved the RPGs (started on my old Apple addicted to Ultima and Bard's Tale) and there was just something about that game being sooo huge at the time..

Went through 2 and 3 on my SNES, then took a vacation until I picked up VII for my Pc years later.. That game right there ruined the series for me.

It was too long, seemed to concentrate too much on how good it looked and just wasnt much fun. I remember hitting parts of the game where I didnt even know what I was doing it was so confusing at times.

Hmm that reminds me I still need to pick up Dawn of Souls for the GBA!!

I've played and finished most of the FF games, my favorites are 8 and 12 - 8 had the most interesting setting, and 12's battle system is really fun to mess around with. I'm playing through 1 on my PSP right now, and like the OP said the graphics are incredible if you're into 2D art. I'm also psyched for the remake of FF4 on DS, that's going to be awesome.