Phillyman

Guitar Hero II 80's Rock  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one choice

• It Rocks!
    • Im Neutral!
    • It Sucks!

• Retromags Curator

I got Guitar Hero II 80's Rock the other day, and I must say that I am very disappointed with this game, I loved the second installment of Guitar Hero, but this seems like a rushed game. I dont feel anything of value was added to this game. Yeah its great that they have 80's songs, but it almost feels like they just took the previous game and ripped out the songs and replaced them with new ones, and thew in a few 80's graphics and pushed it out and hoped we would all eat it up.

I really hope that this is not the future for Guitar Hero, The first 2 games were great and to have this big of a let down on the third release is disappointing. We all know that the Guitar Hero series will pretty much never die now, because there are tons of old songs and new ones comming out each month.

Anyone else Play this game and have comments?

I'm actually enjoying it. I agree that the lack of differences from Guitar Hero 2 is disappointing, as is the lack of unlockable songs and only one unlockable character (no Lars Ulmaut?!). Still I picked this up for $40 at Best Buy and I've had a lot of fun with it. More songs = more fun. I've heard a lot of people complaining about the quality of the cover songs compared to previous games. I don't listen to much music from the '80s so I didn't notice this. In fact, I was unfamiliar with most of the songs in the game. Still, after playing them a few times I find them to be enjoyable. Also, Rocks the 80's seems to be a bit easier than GH2. This led me to really try out Hard Mode for the first time (I was never able to pass any songs on Hard Mode on GH2 before recently). After I tore up the Hard Mode on RT80's I played through GH1 on Hard and then GH2 and by then I had built up enough skill to do well enough to complete a lot of songs. So for $40, the revival of my interest in the series and the set of new songs, I'm happy with Rocks the 80's.

• 3 weeks later...

Not really a fan of the Guitar Hero concept here. It's on the right track, don't get me wrong, but I'd rather practice playing real guitar than just 5 large buttons. I will literally crap my pants the day they design a game which can handle a real guitar, and advances you based on your ability to hit the real notes!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure they will design a guitar game that looks and plays just like the real thing some day. Sadly, I'm also sure it'll cost more than the PS3 costs now.

Personally, I can't even get past a song in OoT without trying 10 times, though, so Guitar Hero would kick my butt regardless of what incarnation it is, LOL.

The song selection is what prevented me from wanting this, too much hair metal. There's some heavy metal like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Accept, and punk like X and Dead Kennedys, but that's about it for me. Be nice to see some bands like Pixies, Galaxie 500, Sodom, Replacements, etc. etc.

• 1 month later...
I got Guitar Hero II 80's Rock the other day, and I must say that I am very disappointed with this game, I loved the second installment of Guitar Hero, but this seems like a rushed game. I dont feel anything of value was added to this game. Yeah its great that they have 80's songs, but it almost feels like they just took the previous game and ripped out the songs and replaced them with new ones, and thew in a few 80's graphics and pushed it out and hoped we would all eat it up.

I really hope that this is not the future for Guitar Hero, The first 2 games were great and to have this big of a let down on the third release is disappointing. We all know that the Guitar Hero series will pretty much never die now, because there are tons of old songs and new ones comming out each month.

Anyone else Play this game and have comments?

I haven't picked this up since it's only on the PS2 but I will say that I wasn't all that excited about the track listing.

Anyone who likes GH games even a little needs to download and play around with Frets on Fire http://fretsonfire.sourceforge.net/. It is a Guitar Hero-like game for the PC with TONS of mods and has almost every song imaginable available for it if you can do a little googling. You can also rip the PS2 disc using a DVD ROM and put the songs in the game.

The only catch is that you need a PS2 to USB adapter. I got 2 of them for under $10 on ebay. You can find more here http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?s...earch&fgtp=

It is a dream for anyone who likes GH and wants more flexibility/music/options. Very addicting!!!

-Noah