• Sega Dreamcast
    • Sega Saturn
    • Playstation
    • Atari 2600-7800
    • Turbo Grafix 16
    • Intellivision
    • Colecovision

• Retromags Curator
i think the super nes was great, too. it had a lot of great, innovative games for its time and a very large library.

Its really the best for variety of games....think about all the great titles

Super Mario World

Mario Kart

Super Metroid

Legend Of Zelda Link to the Past

Castlevania IV

Star Fox

Stunt Racer FX

F-Zero

Super Punch Out

Super Mario All Stars

Plus you had the adapter for Gameboy games :clap: .......Its really ashame Nintendo Screwed up partnering with Sony ......The Addon Sony was making for the SNES was a Disc Drive called "Playstation"

Microsoft and Sega would have never stood a chance!

• Retromags Curator
Although I was more into Sega stuff at the time, I still voted SNES. A large game library with many great titles for all kinds of genres.

I only have maybe 3 Genesis games.....because i got the Sega Channel back then ......so i downloaded and played the games that way

Anyone Else remember the Sega Channel? :P

I think that the Gameboy line is definitely worth a nod too. All competitors have fallen by the wayside (Game Gear, Lynx, etc). We'll see what happens with the PSP but if history is any indicator, technical superiority and a higher price point is no way to beat Nintendo's handhelds. I have heard that Nintendo plans to keep the Gameboy and DS both in production but considering the rapid increase in popularity of the DS and the fact that it is backwards compatible with GBA games, I am wondering how much longer it will be until nintendo goes all DS on their handheld front. If only it were backwards compatible with the earliest Gameboy games and multiplayer capable with GBA games...

I just think it's awesome that Nintendo is still manufacturing a system that will play carts from 1989. :D I challenge anyone to find better backwards compatibility in the history of computing or video games.

I am surprised to see a couple of votes for Dreamcast as best system. My impression was that that system was esentially a flop. :blink:

I have heard that Nintendo plans to keep the Gameboy and DS both in production but considering the rapid increase in popularity of the DS and the fact that it is backwards compatible with GBA games, I am wondering how much longer it will be until nintendo goes all DS on their handheld front.

Do GBA flash carts work with the DS? Could I just put a DS game on my EZ-Cart and put it in a DS handheld or does the DS need a special flash cart?

It's really SNES, without a doubt. Yes, NES saved the industry, but SNES improved it so much. As everyone has said, just look at the games. Some of the greatest ideas and programming in gaming history. Link to the Past is still my favorite Zelda game, and Super Metroid...well, nothing comes close.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I voted Genesis, for purely personal reasons. Objectively, I can look at the SNES and see that it has many great games. But subjectively, it just doesn't *feel* right, somehow. If I had to pick one area where the SNES just doesn't cut it for me, it would be music. Again, I know the SNES had some of the great composers (Nobuo Uematsu, Koji Kondo, Yasunori Mitsuda) but the Genesis had these little flashes of brilliance. Yuzo Koshiro's thundering Streets of Rage soundtracks, for example, or Masato Nakamura's work on Sonic 2 (especially that Final Boss theme... is that *dissonance*, Masato Nakamura? Are you flirting with dissonance? You naughty videogame composer you.)

Of course, none of this stands up to any kind of logical argument. It's just that many of my happiest childhood memories are linked with hours spent playing my Megadrive.

On the issue of the Dreamcast, I'm never entirely sure how I feel about it. Commercially it was a flop, and it had a lot of terrible games, but it has a certain draw to it. It seems to have followed the path of the Saturn, in that many of its best games are 2D, and the 3D games often display a kind of awkwardness (or in some cases are just plain bad - *cough*Sonic Adventure*cough*). It also displays a remarkable tenacity - commercial games are still being released for it, and the homebrew scene is still pretty lively.