I Have Some Mags I Wish To Donate.

generalleoff

First of all I want to say THANK YOU for NOT crippling your releases by using worthless annoying PDF files as so many have done in the past. Really thank you so mush for that. I hate PDF.

Well I have a lot of stuff you proly want and yer welcome to it. I have at least a few hundred random mid to late 90's gaming mags I really want to get rid of. EGM, EGM2, Game Informer, Game Buyers, P.S.X. (before it became OPM), OPM and a bunch of others. I consider them trash mags and could not care less about them. I donate this free of charge to whoever is willing to pay the shipping or come to Toledo, Ohio and pick them up. I notice on of the staff members in Columbus and thats not to far a drive for me if we met half way or something. This is up to my roommate though as it is his gas.

I have tons of Nintendo Powers from the 80's to mid 90's but you guys already seem to have that covered. I might have some of the missing posters and inserts though and I am willing to scan that for you but I'm keeping the mags. I also have an extensive collection of Nintendo players guides if yer interested in that stuff. Again that I am keeping. I will not de bind any of this stuff however so if thats the only way they can be scanned then sorry.

I also have many issues of PSM and many that are double issues. The PSMs I am keeping (would give you my NP before I give you my PSM). I'll donate all the double issues with the mixed collection however. I am missing issues 53, 54, 60, 63, and 66 and above. Most posters and inserts are still in them and I have some of the alternate cover issues as well. Like Nintendo Power I will NOT destroy these magazines.

Oh and I also have many non Nintendo players guides including a bunch of vintage SEGA CD books. I do not think yer interested in guides though.

Now there is a bit of a catch. I do not own a scanner nor do I have the funds to buy one at the moment. Maybe a donation (or perhaps trade for the mags) or reasonably priced sale of a used scanner can be arranged?

Also have lots and lots of free time at the moment unless I get this new job I applied for so that one issue a month thing is no problem at all. Proly could do whole years in a week.

Well let me know if yer interested.

[edit]

Thought I would list some of the more obscure and rare strategy guides I have. Also the Nintendo official guides.

Links' Awakening (x2)

A Link to the Past

Donkey Kong Country 3

Final Fantasy 3 (x2)

Chrono Trigger

NES Game Atlas

Super Metroid

Top Secret Passwords

Mario Mania

Super NES players guide

GameBoy players guide

Donkey Kong Country 1

Super GameBoy

Earthbound

Nintendo Power Advance (do these make the 5 year rule cuz they are cool books?)

I have more but I can not find them.

Mega Fan vol. 1 Issue 1. - neat little book with stuff like final doom, Tekken 2, Albert Odyssey and Crash Bandicoot guides and others. High quality mini book. I have a bunch of these magazines as well (keeping them).

Secrets of the games Vol 4. SNES - Prima - Over 500 pages and black and white. proly not worth scanning.

Secrets of the games Vol 5. Genesis and Sega CD. - Prima - Over 500 pages and black and white. proly not worth scanning.

Albert Odyssey Sega Saturn. - mostly text

Phantasy Star 2 official Sega guide - one of those little mini books

Sword of Vermilion genesis - another little mini book

Phantasy Star 4 official guide

Popful Mail official guide Sega CD

Breath of Fire SNES - Prima

Secret of Mana official guide

Official Sega Genesis Power Tips Books revised edition

Final Fantasy 3 players guide - made by the same guy that did the secret of mana book (Peter Olafson)

Boogerman Sega Genesis official guide

Vay official guide for Sega CD

Lunar Silver Star official guide for Sega CD

Lunar Eternal Blue official guide for Sega CD

Lufia 1 official guide for SNES

About 70 more for PlayStation/N64 and better and those still sell well regardless of the 5 year rule so they are excluded. Most of them are for RPGs and are Prima books.

• Retromags Curator

Wow, I would love to get a list of what your willing to donate to us, maybe we can take up a donation for the shipping charges. I have 2 of the Nintendo Power Advance Magazines, but am sadly missing the others, They were released around the 2001-2002 mark so they are fine for our project. I have almost all the PSM magazines except for issues 1-4....I think I have everything else up to issue 60-70.

Maybe you could make a list of what magazines you are willing to donate, then I can tell you which ones I already have. After we get that sorted out you can take them to the post office and get a price to ship them to zip code 22309. Then we will know what we need as far as funds to get them to my scanner :)

I just bought a nice Canon Scanner for $240......of course it dropped down to $199 within 1 month of buying it......But this guy right here is probably what each of our scanning team needs...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16828102257

Pretty much the one I have is more expensive because it does dual sided scanning. But this is probably a good scanner for most people.......You could always just go buy one from Bestbuy/Circuit City.....and then scan like a demon for 13 days and return it before the 14 day return policy is up :devil:

I'll put together a list.

Give me a list of what is missing from NP (covers and posters and stuff and issues you feel could be improved) and I will see if I have anything. My NP issues range in the area of 1-100 and I don't have all 100 and a few have missing covers or are well worn.

[edit]

Alright I'll start with whats in my room now. the rest is out in the shed.

--Donations--

OPM:

Vol. 1 1-12

Vol. 2 1-6, 9

Vol. 3 1, 6, 8

I might have more somewhere. All are in good condition. Demos (only good thing about that mag IMO) won't be included in the donation :)

PSM (duplicates):

1-16, 18-19, 22

Issue 11 is the Scorpion cover (I also have the Sub-Zero cover but no duplicate). The rest of the issues I'm keeping but will scan if I can get something going.

--Keeping but will scan and will not destroy--

PSM:

All except 53, 54, 60, 63, and 66 and above. Wouldn't mind completing my set if you have extras :)

MegaFan:

1-3

Issue 1 is a mini mag (192 pages though). 2 and 3 are normal mags.

Nintendo Power:

good (in most cases perfect) condition unless noted otherwise. The players guide issues are not included as they are kept in my players guide shelf. I have them all though and all are perfect.

Jul/Aug 88' Cover has a fold on the spine edge.

Jan/Feb 89'

Mar/Aprl 89'

Jul/Aug 89'

Sep/Oct 89' Cover removed but still present. Cover is otherwise undamaged.

Mar/Aprl 90'

May/June 90'

Jul/Aug 90' Cover removed but still present. Cover is otherwise undamaged.

16, 18 issue 18 cover folded on the spine edge

20-29 Issue 28 has small rip on cover in the center on the spine edge

30-39

40-43, 47-49

50-59 issue 59 missing cover.

60-69

70-79

80, 82-89 Most issues in poor shape

90-97

103, 106

Nintendo Power Advance:

Issue 1 only :(

I'll edit this post again after I get in the shed. The rest of the mags will be donations.

• Retromags Curator
I'll put together a list.

Give me a list of what is missing from NP (covers and posters and stuff and issues you feel could be improved) and I will see if I have anything. My NP issues range in the area of 1-100 and I don't have all 100 and a few have missing covers or are well worn.

If you have issue 1 of Nintendo Power, Take a look at my post in the Help and Suggestions thread on what I need from that issue. It would be a big help.

Edited my post. Will do more later.

[edit]

I might be able to help you with NP issue 1. My issue one aside from the fold on the cover is about as good as it was 19 years ago. Even the color is still vibrant (none of that white splotches that form with normal wear on a mags cover) and all the pages flat. Most of my below issue 80 issues are in such condition. I think my issue 1 is missing that poster insert or whatever it was though. I don't even remember seeing that 19 years ago.

Though scanning without destroying the mag is proly not going to work. Even with a flatbed it will be a pain to get a good scan :(

• Retromags Curator
Edited my post. Will do more later.

[edit]

I might be able to help you with NP issue 1. My issue one aside from the fold on the cover is about as good as it was 19 years ago. Even the color is still vibrant (none of that white splotches that form with normal wear on a mags cover) and all the pages flat. Most of my below issue 80 issues are in such condition. I think my issue 1 is missing that poster insert or whatever it was though. I don't even remember seeing that 19 years ago.

Though scanning without destroying the mag is proly not going to work. Even with a flatbed it will be a pain to get a good scan :(

I only need the front and back covers rescanned, Also helping me understand if that damn players poll card is really being counted as a page number in that mag.

NP issue 1 counts every page as a page number.

The very first page number you see is page 4. The contents page. That means the "welcome" message page is 3 and the Powerline page is 2 leaving the cover as page 1.

The players poll card is page 89 and 90. The left and right sides of the normal magazine stock section of the Players Poll is 88 and 91.

The last page number you see is 105 but I am sure in Nintendo records (You pay per page in a Magazine so I'm sure they kept track of everything they printed) the left and right side of the "registration" ad is pages 106 and 109 with the registration card being 107 and 108. Leaving 110 as the back cover.

Not nessesaraly.

I use a Canon LiDe 70 flatbed scanner for all my magazines (http://www.fotokonijnenberg.be/product_details.php?id_product=22201) and the scans are great. Much better than with my previous one.

One little trick that you can use when scanning a magazine without debinding, like I do, is to use another magazine as counter weight.

What I mean is when you start at the beginning of the magazine, the cover won't be a problem, and neither will all the uneven pages up till the middle of the magazine.

The even pages can give you quite a bit of trouble though, since those are only a couple of pages thick, while the rest of the magazine is 90 pages or so thick when scanning. So the side of the spine will get all blurry or much to white looking since it doesn't get the same amount of pressure as the non binded side.

Simple sollution.

Take a magazine of nearly the same thickness and when scanning a page on the thin side of the magazine, simply place the 2nd magazine on top of it before you close the lid and put a bit of pressure on it to get a picture perfect scan.

Works like a charm.

Just check my Sega Saturn Magazines. I never debind these and they still look almost the same even after scanning them. :happy:

• Retromags Curator
NP issue 1 counts every page as a page number.

The very first page number you see is page 4. The contents page. That means the "welcome" message page is 3 and the Powerline page is 2 leaving the cover as page 1.

The players poll card is page 89 and 90. The left and right sides of the normal magazine stock section of the Players Poll is 88 and 91.

The last page number you see is 105 but I am sure in Nintendo records (You pay per page in a Magazine so I'm sure they kept track of everything they printed) the left and right side of the "registration" ad is pages 106 and 109 with the registration card being 107 and 108. Leaving 110 as the back cover.

Yea the funny thing is....Nintendo is soo inconsistent with page numbering. In some issues the poster counts as 6 pages of the magazine (3 on each side)....but then other Nintendo Power magazines seem to not count the poster as anything at all......So if I want to get the jpg numbers to actually match up to the actual page numbers ....its a pain :)

Not nessesaraly.

I use a Canon LiDe 70 flatbed scanner for all my magazines (http://www.fotokonijnenberg.be/product_details.php?id_product=22201) and the scans are great. Much better than with my previous one.

One little trick that you can use when scanning a magazine without debinding, like I do, is to use another magazine as counter weight.

What I mean is when you start at the beginning of the magazine, the cover won't be a problem, and neither will all the uneven pages up till the middle of the magazine.

The even pages can give you quite a bit of trouble though, since those are only a couple of pages thick, while the rest of the magazine is 90 pages or so thick when scanning. So the side of the spine will get all blurry or much to white looking since it doesn't get the same amount of pressure as the non binded side.

Simple sollution.

Take a magazine of nearly the same thickness and when scanning a page on the thin side of the magazine, simply place the 2nd magazine on top of it before you close the lid and put a bit of pressure on it to get a picture perfect scan.

Works like a charm.

Just check my Sega Saturn Magazines. I never debind these and they still look almost the same even after scanning them. :happy:

I'll proly just do that then. I imagine it leaves a bit of a bulge at the spine though. Proly fixable by just stacking the magazines so they are compressed for a few days however.

thanks for the tip.

[edit]

If you have access to these UK mags how about the UK version of PSM/PSM2/PSM3. Well not PSM3. that wont make the 5 year rule :). I always wanted to check out the UK version.

Checked out one of yer Saturn issues. They do seem to have scanned well. Proly download all the rest sometime.

This proly counts as a double post or soemthing but hey I want it to show a new post to be sure you read it :)

I got all the mags I could find in the shed out and here is the list...

GMR:

Issue 05 Jun 2003

No idea what this mag is (online PC games mags going by the cover) and it does not make the 5 year rule. Never the less it's included. You can hoard it until the year limit is up :)

EGM:

78, 85-86, 88, 90-91, 94, 96, 98-101, 103, 106, 111, 113-114, 116, 153

Have 2 covers variants for issue 96. Fighting Force cover and an Apocalypse cover. Some proly dont make the 5 year rule and I did not check the date. Again you can hoard them. Also have the 1996 EGM video game buyers guide.

EGM2:

Sep 94

Oct 94

Feb 95

Apr 95

Aug 96

Nov 96

Sep 96

Oct 96

Dec 96

Jan 97

Feb 97

Mar 97

Apr 97

May 97

Jun 97

Jul 97

Aug 97

Sep 97

Nov 97

Dec 97

Jan 98

Mar 98

May 98

Jul 98

Aug 98

EGM2 to ExpertGamer name conversion issues. Issue 50.

ExpertGamer:

51-54, 56-63, 66, 68-72, 74

PSX:

Nov 96

Dec 96/Jan 97 - hahahahahaha. Ziff-Davis had a damn wormhole as well apparently...

Jul 97

Tips & Tricks:

Sep 97 - missing cover

Oct 97

Dec 97

Mar 98

Apr 98

Jun 98

Nov 98

Dec 98

Mar 99

Ultra GamePlayers:

Jan 98

109 & 110

Game Informer:

Aug 02

Oct 02

Nov 02

Dec 02

Alright thats all I could find. Should have been much much more but I can't find them. They might have been tossed in the trash.

Anyway how will you be treating mags that changed names mid run? EGM2 to ExpertGamer. Another is PSX (unofficial) becoming OPM (official).

[edit]

Well I looked more and could not find any more mags. I have been subscribing to gaming mags for the past 20 years and should have a hell of a lot more of them around. All my 16 bit era mags are missing....

The ones I listed aren't all that impressive in my opinion. You can still have them if you want them but I don't think they are worth the cost of shipping. These multi console mags are just junk to me. I read them just to see what games where coming out and stuff like that. They never had the since of community you got when reading stuff like Nintendo Power or PSM. I never read them cover to cover or wrote them letters or anything like that. They aren't the kind of mags I would want to go back and read again.