The Tri-monthly Pruning Of Inactive Members Thread!

Phillyman

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jawseatinghotheadlibera.jpg

509 Members Pruned from the Forums!

Next Pruning will take place on July 10th 2008!!!!

I also deleted any Private Messages that were over 365 days old.

The oldest message before the delete was 10/10/2007......now the oldest message is 04/10/2008

LOL..From now on, whenever you prune the database you just need to put up that picture and everyone will figure out what is going on. That was perfect.

Whoops I am 5 days late on this.......Time for some deletions! You know the drill.....if you have ZERO posts AND have not signed into Retromags within the past YEAR........Adios!

500 Members Deleted!

Next Pruning takes place April 10th 2009!

DPsx, I think you are safe as long as you log in. According to Phillyman's post there, it is a combination of zero posts and have not signed in within the last year. You are fulfilling one of the requirements by logging in and you have posts so you should be safe. Besides, you are in charge of the games in the arcade right? I doubt you would get deleted. :)

• Retromags Curator
I bet he literally uses the shark :)

I just run a query, looking for members with less than 1 post.....and that haven't logged on within the past 365 days. I then email them and tell them they are about to be axed.....and 7 days later I run the query again and delete those who still meet the criteria :P

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So why is it that inactive members are deleted? Obviously not all of them are potential spambots, and at least some will be annoyed if they realize they have to re-register (though it's not that difficult a task)... Is it mostly to get a semi-accurate representation of how many people are actually here?

• Retromags Curator

No clue. Maybe it's to get a better idea of how many members are or were active on the forums. Plus if someone takes up a cool screen name and then doesn't post, it frees up that name for someone else. There is still a lot that hasn't been explained to me about this site.

• Retromags Curator

So why is it that inactive members are deleted? Obviously not all of them are potential spambots, and at least some will be annoyed if they realize they have to re-register (though it's not that difficult a task)... Is it mostly to get a semi-accurate representation of how many people are actually here?

From what I understand, it's a resources issue. Every new member who registers creates a new slot in the database, making it that much larger, more unwieldy, and (most importantly) slower. Think about an Excel spreadsheet that gets larger and more complex with every new row and column and formula you have to plug into it, and you should get an idea.

Pruning the database allows the site to operate faster for those who are actually using it, incentivises people who are serious about wanting to be here to post on occasion (seriously, all you have to do is log in once a year and post a couple things to be exempt from the pruning), and frees up potential user names from non-participants to be used by someone who might actually contribute from time to time.

But honestly, most of it has to do with the fact that Phillyman used to enjoy sacrificing the blood of virginal forum accounts to whatever dark, demented power holds this place together, and this was the best way to ensure said power's satisfaction. :)

*huggles*

Areala