Retro Titles - Ones You May Not Have Heard Of.

rocklite

Harmful Park (Jap) on the PS1 - Not a cheap game tho. If you like shoot 'em ups this could be your thing.

Have a look here

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/har...harmfulpark.htm

RC De Go on the PS1 I like it, some don't. It's cheap as chips.

The Bombing Islands - PS! puzzle game much like Bombuzal on the Amiga.

Oh yes indeed, Harmful Park is a great shooter. You will need to put the difficulty setting a bit higher than default though, as it's a bit too easy otherwise.

I've actually done a small review on it several years ago on my site: http://users.pandora.be/twin-dreams/

Speaking of which, there are a couple other obscure games on there as well.

Like Umiharakawase Shun and Ore no Ryouri, which are both must haves.

And don't forget Chippoke Ralph no Daibouken!

A couple of great games on NeoGeo which are always being overlooked and are some of my favorites are:

-Puzzle De Pon/ Puzzle De Pon R (only came out on MVS but I have a conversion on AES from original arcade parts :) ) Pretty crappy review on the link but at least you can see some screenshots.

-Money Puzzle Exchanger

-Shock Troopers

-Neo Turf Masters

-Twinkle Star Sprites

-Strikers 1945 Plus

I have just sold my Neo AES Meppi :( Needed the money. I have owned 4 expensive games for that console. Had Big Tournament Golf (sun faded cover) great game the CD version has an extra course, just sold that too :( Shocktroopers 2nd Squad (I really loved this game), Metal Slug 3 and Pulstar (conversion). Had loads of others too including Last Resort and Viewpoint. The Neo is no more tho :mellow:

However SNK are realising a lot of compilations for the PS2. Not that they are releasing them here in the UK.

So far there is:

SNK Arcade Classics (PS2, PSP & Wii) - includes art of fighting, baseball stars 2, burning fight, fatal fury, kof 94, king of the monsters, last resort, magician lord, metal slug, neo turf masters, samurai showdown, sengoku, shock troopers, super sidekicks 3, top hunter, world heroes

World Heroes anthology (PS2) - all the World Heroes games

Fatal Fury Battle Archives vol.1 (PS2) - includes FF1, HH2, FF Special and FF3,

Fatal Fury Battle Archives vol.2 (ps2) - includes Real Bout FF, RBFF2, RBFF Special

Art of Fighting Anthology (PS2) - All 3 games

Only Art of Fighting compilation and Metal Slug Anthology have been released on Pal as far as I am aware.

I have seen your site before. I just got Gussun Oyoyo and Asuka 120 Burning Fest for the PS1 for £5 each :) Trying to get hold of Ore No Ryouri cheap. I have seen the Adventures of Little Ralph but it is not cheap either.

Got Hermie Hopperhead cheap too :) I have tons of retrogames i am sorting thro at the minute.

Yeah, those SNK compilations are great.

But as you will no doubt know by having owned a NeoGeo yourself, there's just something special about owning the originals.

Even if the emulation is top notch, it doesn't feel the same to me.

It's not only with the NeoGeo though, as I feel the same about all other systems as well.

I've heard it many times before that Neo gamers sell their system for various reasons, but end up getting another one down the line.

If I should ever be put in such a position, I'd start selling of a couple other systems first.

There's quite a lot of SNK titles on the JP PS2 actually.

On first thought there's a couple of Samurai Showdown games, Twinkle Star Sprites, which is great in itself, but also includes the Neo version as an unlockable. :)

All those re-issues of KOF games and such.

The thing is, even though I prefer the originals, I also want to have the remake versions as well since most include various bonus modes which weren't in the old versions.

SNK sure knows how to take our money. But in this case I don't mind at all. ;)

the Neo control is superb, if your right handed, I had to play shooter games cross handed cause my left finger is my trigger finger but still the control was one of the things that made it. It also felt like you had a arcade machine in your living room and probably because it went back to my youth when arcade machines were in your local leisure centre. Not anymore.

I really enjoyed the Super Sidekicks series on the AES. Simple gameplay.

Did anyone like Circuit Breakers on the PS1? I also liked Kensei Sacred Fist and Gekido. I am sure these are all cheap £1.50ish games these days. A loaf of bread could cost you more here now :o

It's actually funny you mention this.

I had the Japanese PS2 version of Metal Slug about a year before I got the AES version and one thing I noticed immediately was in the snow level.

You stand on top of a hill with a whole bunch of enemies beneath you, so the best option would be to chuck a couple of grenades at them before jumping down guns blazing.

But the first time I played the AES version it felt so great that I decided to jump straight into the crowd down below, which I had tried on the PS2 many times before but barely ever worked like I intended it to.

The first time I did this in the AES version, I felt completely in control, knowing where every single bullet and knife thrust would be landing, and thus slaughtering the pack of enemies in such a way that it made me realize that even though the other versions are being labeled as "arcade perfect" they just aren't. 99% ? perhaps. but there certainly are things missing.

Even though it's probably not the game feels just a tad slower on the PS2 as well to me.

Still, the bonus modes in the PS2 version make it worth owning as well. ;)

I loved Circuit Breakers! Been many years since I played it, but I remember like it was yesterday tat we used to spend whole afternoons playing 3 player games on it.

There actually was a sequel released on the PS2 called Circuit Blasters, but even though I've bought it last year, I haven't actually played it yet. :unsure:

I figure it's only worth playing in multiplayer, so I keep holding of.

It's been released as freeware under the name Ur-Quan Masters

Yeah, I heard about that a while ago, I still have my 3DO hooked up to the TV though so It makes no difference to me :) which reminds me, this site is in some bad need of more 3DO love, magazine wise :D

Dune (SegaCD): Mix of adventure and strategy.

Centurion (Genesis/Megadrive): Strategy.

Ninja Gaiden (SMS): Pretty good exclusive version for the sms.

Buck Rogers (Genesis/Megadrive): Ultra addictive RPG, its hard to start, but once you get the starship is awesome.

Powerslave/Exhumed (Saturn): The second best 32bit FPS (first being Quake). The Saturn version better than PS1.

The Digg (PC): Just awesome Lucasarts adventure.

• 3 weeks later...

SNATCHER (Hideo Kojima of MGS fame doing a point and click adventure and a good one), I would say Policenauts but there hasn't been a fan translation yet, Front Mission (great strategy, find the fan translated SNES ROM), and Terranigma.

SNATCHER (Hideo Kojima of MGS fame doing a point and click adventure and a good one), I would say Policenauts but there hasn't been a fan translation yet, Front Mission (great strategy, find the fan translated SNES ROM), and Terranigma.

Not just a good one either, it was number 69 in EGM's top 100 of all time in issue 100!!

I have it and have not played it much but what I have played is great!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There are some good games being listed here, like Little Samson and Sweet Home. I never really thought Snatcher and StarTropics were that obscure, though they are fantastic games. Anyways, here are a couple I thought might be worth mentioning:

Nosferatu (SNES) -- This is like Prince of Persia, except it has lots of ghouls and monsters.

Metal Storm (NES) -- A run-n-gun that lets you flip gravity and walk on ceilings.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I was always a fan of MC Kids. It's basically a rip-off of Super Mario Bros 3.

Really? MC Kids? The game seemed kind of shallow to me. Also, I can't *stand* the ads for that game! The one's with the "looked how cool and rad I am" picture of the guy who "invented" the game. Apparently he doesn't have a lot of time because he has to get back to playing MC Kids. To each his/her own though. That's only my opinion.

How about Herzog Zwei? Any fans of the game out there? I was obsessed with this game in middle school and still play it emulated every once and a while. I even still own the cart, though it is currently in my brother's possession.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...