Retro Titles - Ones You May Not Have Heard Of.

rocklite

Wild Guns - SNES - Natsume

Anyone who likes shooters will love the game Wild Guns.

Took me a minute to figure out you gotta hold down action to keep shooting,

if you press shot randomly you freeze up and start lassoing. that got me killed a lot at first.

Anyways, its made/ released by Natsume and almost everything they give us is gold.

3D Adventures of World Runner - NES - Square

Ever heard of this one? its a Sonic Blue Sphere style action game. Mostly you just jump over holes and collect stars.

It really look like it had an impact on Sonic 3 too so it was a fun find.

Any other classic Square titles I missed on NES?

Anyways I just need a few more posts and ill be able able to check out the retro mags. =p

Great post!

Now these might not be NES games, but take a look at my site for some obscure gems:

http://users.telenet.be/twin-dreams/

The largest amount of reviews are in the Playstation area, since there were so many unheard of retro-style games released in Japan back in the day.

But the Nintendo section does have 2 great Snes games as well. :happy:

I was so glad to see StarTropics on that list. I played through that game over a dozen times in a few years just because of the awesomely zany storyline.

And Clash at Demonhead was one of those random games my parents got me back in the day because they thought I might think it was cool. It was fun but frustratingly hard for me at times.

Low-G Man is one of my favorites.

Yes, it's not perfect, but it has some strange appeal to me, and great music for the most part. Had a few interesting gimmicks, like freezing enemies, and jumping entire screens at a time, riding vehicles, walking on ceilings, Weapon pick ups, and a weird aesthetic that meshed well.

Whomp-em was another good one, though possibly offensive and ostensibly just a rip-off of the Mega man formula, it was rather fun.

I was so glad to see StarTropics on that list. I played through that game over a dozen times in a few years just because of the awesomely zany storyline.

And Clash at Demonhead was one of those random games my parents got me back in the day because they thought I might think it was cool. It was fun but frustratingly hard for me at times.

I loved StarTropics but I never could finish the last boss.

Startropics is a hidden gem? Forget the title of it but there was a guidebook I got way way back that had walkthroughs with full-color maps for a bunch of NES games and Startropics was one of them so I figured it was fairly well known. IIRC, the other games were the NES Mario and Zelda titles, the Castlevania games, Rescue Rangers and Ducktales and probably a few Mega Man titles too. Wish I still had the book for nostalgia value.

Have to say though, it pleased me greatly to see Crystalis as a recommended title. Ignore the mess the GBC made of the game and play the classic. My favorite NES title bar none.

Kickmaster is a lot like Low-G man, and perhaps unsurprisingly, as Taxan did both games.

It has the same feel, but is greatly improved all around and much more emphasis on melee, and a wide assortment of obvious and hidden abilities. I feel it's one of the systems greatest games.

My favorite game for Nes however, is Gun-Nac. I am constantly surprised at how few people know of this game, and even less of it's greatness.

It's the Pseudo sequel to Zanac, and one of Compiles greatest efforts on any platform before or since.

• 3 weeks later...

Sweet Home is a very interesting early take on the survival horror genre, for the Famicom. It is seen as a predecessor to the Resident Evil series, and is well worth a look. Translated ROM is out there somewehre.

The Red Arimaa Gargoyle games are all fantastic too, especially on SNES - Demon's Crest is awesome as I keep mentioning!

I also have a big soft spot for the excellently named Ninja Warriors Again on the SNES - simple, repetitive but just classic 80s-style scrolling fighter excellence.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
My favourite game ever is probably Star Control 2, but everytime i mention it people seem to have never heard of it! it came out for the pc and also had a first class conversion on the 3DO.

It's been released as freeware under the name Ur-Quan Masters

contra force for nes. lots of ppl no the contra series but i dont think (at least no one mentioned it to me yet) about contra force.

it a nice variation from the original contra series i think, cuz u can actually pick 1 of 4 characters and ugrade weapons.