Egm (1990 - 1995) To Scan

Guy In Rubber Suit

I am a collector of EGM issues and I have many magazines from that time period, though they are scattered. Off the top of my head I'm not sure what I have up to 1993 but I do have issues 51 and onward. I'm definitely willing to scan them in as I have a quality flatbed scanner. I might've missed it before, but what are the scanning requirements, and is it ok that I don't debind them while I scan as I want to keep them together. Thanks.

• Retromags Curator
I am a collector of EGM issues and I have many magazines from that time period, though they are scattered. Off the top of my head I'm not sure what I have up to 1993 but I do have issues 51 and onward. I'm definitely willing to scan them in as I have a quality flatbed scanner. I might've missed it before, but what are the scanning requirements, and is it ok that I don't debind them while I scan as I want to keep them together. Thanks.

Welcome to Retromags

Debinding issues is your call, I only do it because I have an ADF scanner. We miss about a quarter of an inch of the page by not debinding but its not that big of a deal. I would start off with a hair dryer and warm up the labels and carefully peel them off. Given enough heat you can remove the address labels with no damage at all. Some of the glue may stay behind so it may rub off on your scanner, One tip I can give you is not to stack magazines after removing the label, Sometimes the glue will re adhere to an issue that you stacked on top of it.

After removing the label I would scan the cover and upload it to the Wiki using the filename egm_issue_xxx.jpg , replacing xxx with the issue number. after that is complete you can scan the magazine at 300DPI, you are looking for about 1.5-2.5 MB in each page size. You can then upload the unedited scans to the FTP (i have enough room for 1000 magazines to be stored). After its been uploaded we can hopefully get someone to fix up the scans. People who are good with photo editing can download the scans and crop them and straighten them up, compile them into a .cbr and we have a release.

The goal when I started this website was to create a central point where we can establish something similar to an assembly line. One person scans an issue, and hands it off to someone who cleans up the scans, who then in turn hands it off to someone who distributes it on the internet for everyone to enjoy. Right now I am on a personal goal of scanning 150 magazines, You may wish to look in my WIP thread. I am on scan #45 right now, the only thing that was slowing me down was the debinding. Now that I have 100+ magazines at work, I can debind them in my spare time at work and push through 3 magazines in my ADF scanner at home. I expect that within 30 days I will have the remaining 105 magazines scanned. Most are going to be PSM and Gamepro with some Sega Visions and EGM's thrown in for good measure.

Again I appreciate any help that people are willing to give. Those 45 issues I have already scanned would be released if I had some help in getting them cleaned up and distributed.

-Phillyman

Alright I thought I had 1990 issues but the earliest I have is September 91 (26). You said you're up to 45? I have 46 and 48 though that one is missing half of it's doorway cover unfortunately. Here are the issues I have earliest on: 26, 27, 29, 35, 37, 38, 40-43, 45, 46, 48, 51-217 (though I'm missing some up till 200).

So yeah I'll check the WIP and hopefully I can help this wonderful project out.

• Retromags Curator
Alright I thought I had 1990 issues but the earliest I have is September 91 (26). You said you're up to 45? I have 46 and 48 though that one is missing half of it's doorway cover unfortunately. Here are the issues I have earliest on: 26, 27, 29, 35, 37, 38, 40-43, 45, 46, 48, 51-217 (though I'm missing some up till 200).

So yeah I'll check the WIP and hopefully I can help this wonderful project out.

I dont have many EGM's maybe about 20 of them, I think you misread my post a little bit. I was saying that I was on a personal goal of scanning 150 magazines over the next few months, and that I have already scanned 45 magazines out of that 150 goal. The earliest EGM I believe I have is issue 25 which has Ken from Street fighter on the cover. Most of my EGM magazines are at my work right now, I will try to make a list of what I have tomorrow.

Heres my collection atm Phillyman

Jul/Aug Issue

Nov

Dec

Jan

Feb

Apr

May

Jul

Aug

Sept

Nov

Jan

Feb x2

Mar x2

Apr

May

Jun x2

Jul

Aug x2

Sept

Oct

Nov x2

Dec

Jan

Feb

Apr

May x2

Jun

Jul

Aug

Sept

Oct

Nov

Dec

Jan

Jun

Sept

Dec

Mar

Apr

May

Jun

Jul

Aug

Sept

Jan

Apr

May

Jul

Dec

------------------------

Game Pro

Nov 92

Jan 95

May 94

------------------------

EGM 2

Jan95

1995 Preview? (April, March? take off stands March 20something)

Volume 1 Issue 8

Volume 1 Issue 9

------------------------

Die Hard Gamefan Next Generation Video Game Magazine

Sept 93

Dec 94

------------------------

Next Generation

Sept 95

------------------------

Nintendo Power

------------------------

Sega Vision

Dec/Jan 94

------------------------

GamePlayers

May 94

------------------------

Electronic Games (not EGM)

Oct 92

------------------------

TurboPlay

June/July 1990

------------------------

Lynx Grey Matters

Vol 3

------------------------

Guides from here on out

EGM Complete Mortal Kombat 2 Guide

Strategy Nintendo Power Guide Super Mario Brothers 3

Sonic 3 "Official Super-Sonic Tips for Sega Maniacs" (Brady Games)

Official GameBook Sonic & Knuckles Guide (Brady Games)

The Official Nintendo Players Guide

"Top Secret Passwords" Nintendo Players Guide

The Ultimate Guide to Fighting Games -From the editors of EGM

(Features Mortal Kombat2, Virtua Fighter and SSF2 Turbo)

Mortal Kombat 3 Official PowerPlay Guide

------------------------

By the editors of Consumer Guide (two magazines)

The Winners guide to Nintendo

and

Play Action Strategies Super Nintendo

------------------------

Jaguar Advertisement? It compares other systems (trying to show the

jaguar is better) shows its hardware / games its around 10 pages long

And thats it...

I dont have many EGM's maybe about 20 of them, I think you misread my post a little bit. I was saying that I was on a personal goal of scanning 150 magazines over the next few months, and that I have already scanned 45 magazines out of that 150 goal. The earliest EGM I believe I have is issue 25 which has Ken from Street fighter on the cover. Most of my EGM magazines are at my work right now, I will try to make a list of what I have tomorrow.

Ah I guess I did misread. Sorry, my bad. :P

Hey Tortri, do you have a scanner at all? That would definitely help out to fill out the gaps.