Weird Scanner Problem

meppi

Just came across something very weird today.

After 2 weeks of not being able to scan, I picked up where I left off.

Scanned in the first 20 pages of MAXIMUM 6 and then went to edit them.

The first couple of pages seemed quite ok, but there was something a bit off. Something that became more appearant with every new dark colored page.

In the middle of each page there was a whole band of horizontal rainbow colored lines.

First I thought it would probably be the glass itself that had a smudge or something, or perhaps even the way this particular magazine was printed.

But after checking everything out it turned out to be anything but this.

What I did notice was that when I plugged in the scanner, I used another USB port than the one I normally use. Seemed to make the scanning go a bit quicker as well.

When I plugged it in, I noticed the new hardware tab popping up, but didn't think much of it as I had installed the CD that came with the printer when I first bought it.

Well, it tuns out that Windows has installed it's own drivers for use with my scanner on this USB port, cause when I plug it back into the regular one, the rainbow effect disappears...

I'm glad I don't have to go buy another printer again, as it would take a while before I would be able to do so.

I noticed a couple of people mentioning in the past that their scanner put vertical lines on their scans, so who knows, you might also be using the windows drivers when simply plugging in your scanner...

Lesson learned, always use and install the software that comes with the device and install it like it says in the manual. :blushing:

Anyway, hopefully this incident can help someone who comes across a similar situation.