Wii Virtual Console

xaj

I agree about being too much money. Some of the releases, I have 1 or even two copies of for other systems. Why buy it yet again just to enjoy on my Wii. This is why I will not buy games for the VC.

Edited by nickerous

• 4 weeks later...

You're right; the VC does, sadly have a shortage of RPG's. Also, I think that Nintendo or a third-party company is going to distribute a Wii external hard drive when the Library of downloadable games gets big enough. And as strange as it may sound, the best thing Nintendo can do for the VC is add more Neo-Geo titles. No, I'm not an SNK fan, but just hear me out: Even today, these games can cost up to hundreds or even thousands of dollars. Buying them for about 9 bucks each sounds pretty good right now. The only problem is that just 8 of them are released.

Edited by lisalover1

Well, considering that the NeoGeo only has about 150 titles released for it I think that already having 8 game online is a very good start.

Especially as we only seem to be getting a couple of games a week.

And the most expensive game is already online. ;)

I want to play Ultima: Quest of the Avatar in the VC, but I don´t think I ever see it there... Too bad it´s impossible to have "ALL" the NES games there. Anyway it´s better Live Arcade, at least the rankings and world records keep you coming for more...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
One thing. WHY IS SUPER MARIO RPG NOT ON THERE!?!?!?!

Honstly I love RPG so why is it not on VC? its a great game so why is it not on there??

Anyway back to me. I have Dr Mario (well WiiWare but whatever), A Link to the Past, some Pokemon game that my brother downloaded, Crusin USA and Mario Kart 64.

Super Mario RPG is on the "coming soon" list for North America's Virtual Console. The aforementioned list is derived from the ESRB's rating schedule. Speculation is that Super Mario RPG will be the 250th VC game.

• 2 months later...

Just a note in case you did not know:

BOTH Super Mario RPG AND Secret of Mana are now available on the USA Virtual Console :D

(Mario RPG came out in September and Mana in October)

Still hard to believe they got the TurboGrafx **CD** games on the VC WITHOUT sacrificing anything (graphics, sound, cd music, etc.), well except for losing the load times ^_^

Super Air Zonk, Lords of Thunder and Gate of Thunder FTW :Yahooo:

I prefer the real game. the VC is very expensive, for example, if you want buy super mario world, yo can buy a real game for 3 euros, but the VC game has a 8 euros price... very expensive...

In general, the VC prices are the same or LOWER (or MUCH lower ;) than buying the same game online (don't forget to include SHIPPING costs - an actual cart has ot get ot you somehow ya know)

Super Mario World is very common, try gettting Secret of Mana, Super Mario RPG, Lords of Thunder, ANY Neo Geo game for less than their VC prices online and you'll see what I mean ;)

Actually, come to think of it, unless you happen to be extremely lucky and find an actual good game in a local game shop for less than the VC price, the VC price is ALWAYS cheaper than getting the real thing online for pretty much ANY GAME on the VC.

Unfortunately, in the USA, the small game shops seem to be going bye bye and Gamestop /EB no longer carries anything before I think PS1.

Two last points tho about the VC versions:

1. There is no save battery to die and lose your saves ;) (like in actual NES / SNES carts)

2. The suspend point feature on the Wii VC lets you stop ANYWHERE and come back later to start right where you left off.

SO, for example, if you wanted to play Bonk's Adventure, but only had 20 minutes, you could do that and then stop, come back later and resume right where you left off. You CAN'T do that with the real TG 16 Bonk's Adventure chip ;) (the game is roughly an hour long)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The VC was one of the most amazing things to me early on, now I only reserve my downloads for unreleased or extremely rare games.

Being a VG collector, it's either too expensive or just not as cool getting stuff on the VC anymore.

I agree in the fact that it doesn't seem as cool to download VC games anymore, but as E-Day said sometimes finding a working ancient system is hard. So downloading to the virtual console is still nice. I am betting that once it expands back into some good stuff I will come back around. They just seemed to have a long slot where they had nothing of interest. Not to mention the whole WiiWare idea was awesome...just hasn't seemed to be implemented very well.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm betting that the VC would become a lot more usable when Nintendo release firmware to allow playing VC games directly off SD card as the storage space on the Wii is quite limited and with the size of N64 games being what they are it isn't long before you cannot install any more without removing something else.

I think they did that to stop people converting standard Roms and dropping them onto an SD card but it certainly hasn't stopped the hackers from cracking the Wii and getting VC game copies running .... or Iso images for that matter. In fact ... apart from the Dreamcast it's the only other console that doesn't need a modchip or some Crazy Ivan gadget to open drive bays etc. Wow!!!

What they need to do is find some way for us retrogamers with truckloads of original carts to plug them into a USB hardware dongle and legally play the games we already own on the VC rather than making pay again and again for things we already own. $10 charged for a game you have an original cart for already seems excessive and I'm sure it limits the volume of sales considerably especially when factoring in that when your Wii dies you lose those games unless you can convince Nintendo to change the ownership to a new Wii console. And making the VC run Roms via USB gets past the licensing issue for case like Banjo Kazooie and would make the Wii the complete Nintendo replacement console. Never happen of course .... but nice to dream.

We really need the option to play directly from the SD. My Wii is full and I still have a long list of games to buy. Also Nintendo needs to release many more games. I'm still waiting for the following.

1. Donkey Kong 64

2. Harvest Moon 64

3. TLOZ - Majora's Mask

4. Ogre Battle 64

5. Ogre Battle

6. Yoshi's Island

7. Star Fox

8. Super Mario Kart

9. Mischeif Makers

10. Faxanadu

11. Little Nemo

• Retromags Curator
We really need the option to play directly from the SD. My Wii is full and I still have a long list of games to buy.

That option is coming soon, actually. I am waiting on it too since I want to get The World of Goo and some other games.