Ps2 Emulation Question

aussie500

For several years l have wanted to try playing my PS2 version of Tomb Raider - The Angel of Darkness on an emulator for the PC so l can hopefully take screenshots. Now l do own a working PS2, and l actually own a working (debatable sometimes) PC version of the same game. Unfortunately my PS2 version is one of those early releases that does not actually work properly, l managed to get through it once which required about 200 restarts, several months of extreme patience and almost resulted in a nervous breakdown for both console and player. Needless to say l am never playing it on the PS2 again, but l am curious, because my game did do a lot of very strange things, my nerves have recovered now, and curiosity is getting the better of me, l would like to see if l can actually get anything newsworthy from my frisbie.

If l go to all the trouble of getting an emulator to work, is there any chance this wretched game can damage my PC, assuming l can even get the emulator to play it. And how do you take screenshots with an emulator?

Thanks for any help or suggestions anyone can give. :)

For several years l have wanted to try playing my PS2 version of Tomb Raider - The Angel of Darkness on an emulator for the PC so l can hopefully take screenshots. Now l do own a working PS2, and l actually own a working (debatable sometimes) PC version of the same game. Unfortunately my PS2 version is one of those early releases that does not actually work properly, l managed to get through it once which required about 200 restarts, several months of extreme patience and almost resulted in a nervous breakdown for both console and player. Needless to say l am never playing it on the PS2 again, but l am curious, because my game did do a lot of very strange things, my nerves have recovered now, and curiosity is getting the better of me, l would like to see if l can actually get anything newsworthy from my frisbie.

If l go to all the trouble of getting an emulator to work, is there any chance this wretched game can damage my PC, assuming l can even get the emulator to play it. And how do you take screenshots with an emulator?

Thanks for any help or suggestions anyone can give. :)

No it won't wreck your computer. 0% chance of that. I'm a big pcsx2 user and a member of ngemu, and through the thousands of posts and threads I've read and tutorials I've read an my understanding of computers theres no chance it could damage your computer. I assume your talking about maybe damaging windows criticla files forcing you to have to reinstall windows, that won't happen as neither pcsx2 or any ps2 game modify any of those files. And damaging hardware is pretty much impossible with any program(with the exception of those that overclock yourcpu, gpu or increase voltage)

PCSX2 and its plug-in are being updated almost weekly. If you use the latest gsdx9 11.0 graphics plug-in (which is only available on the forums) alot of games work properly now, and are much faster than before. Configuring the emulator and getting it to play isn't to difficult (took me 30minutes before I was playing my first game).

Go to www.pcsx2.net and see if it is on the compatability list.

To take screen shots press F8. THey are then saved to the pcsx2 emulators 'snapshot' directory.

You'll need a computer capable of sse2 instructions. Thats amd64 or pentium 4 or newer. For the videocard you need to be capable of pixel Shader 2.0 so that basically means an ATI X1000 card or greater , or a Geforce6 series card or better.

Well the PC version caused a few problems with the PC, although nothing permanent. The PS2 version caused problems with the PS2, although it never damaged the console and l have played quite a few games on it since (took my ears and nerves a bit to recover though). I am just a bit worried about what the emulator would make of this disc, considering the PS2 itself had trouble playing it. The game is likely going to ask the emulator to do the impossible and it will have a fit and crash, is that the worse l can expect? How does the emulator software behave when asked to do something a PS2 cannot, will it recover or sulk never to play again, l doubt many emulators have been asked to play such rubbish, which is why l was a bit worried it might have a detrimental effect on my PC.

Well the PC version caused a few problems with the PC, although nothing permanent. The PS2 version caused problems with the PS2, although it never damaged the console and l have played quite a few games on it since (took my ears and nerves a bit to recover though). I am just a bit worried about what the emulator would make of this disc, considering the PS2 itself had trouble playing it. The game is likely going to ask the emulator to do the impossible and it will have a fit and crash, is that the worse l can expect? How does the emulator software behave when asked to do something a PS2 cannot, will it recover or sulk never to play again, l doubt many emulators have been asked to play such rubbish, which is why l was a bit worried it might have a detrimental effect on my PC.

Unlike genuine PC games, emulators and the games emulaotrs play don't install any drivers or modify any registers or dlls. THe worse you could expect is the game to freeze your comp and you need to press the restart button.

I suggest making an iso of the DVD and mounting it on a virtual drive like damon tools or achohol 120%, that way you don't use the actual DVD alot if its causing oyu troubles