Philly's Powersupply Died

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

So building my computer last night.......was switching out videocards.......somehow the Powersupply died in my main computer between the switches

So now i gotta RMA for another unit......Jeez this isnt my week :(

Gonna pull a Harddrive outta that unit tommorow .....and see if i can partition windows on it.....But that ThermalTake Blue orb isnt cooling as good as i thought

So First gonna see if the local computer shop has something better......Right now the computer is idle at 60C.....which isnt great

So gonna be tied down for a while on my end guys

• 4 weeks later...
So First gonna see if the local computer shop has something better......Right now the computer is idle at 60C.....which isnt great

I just built a pretty good PC. My temperature is around 40C and I was inquiring around if it were running hot.

• 1 month later...

Idle at 60C? In my years of pc building, even a cheap stock fan would keep that down around the 40C mark at idle. Forgive the following instructions if its something you are already educated in, just trying to help out by giving a few tricks:

Take a look again at the thermal paste you applied to the CPU and heat sink, you could possibly:

1. have too much applied and it isnt doing its job effectively

2. too little applied and not enough surface area of the cpu is covered

Also, if you have some old thermal paste on the cpu, use a few q-tips and swab off the old stuff, if its crusty use some isopropyl alcohol and get that chip nice and clean before putting on some more. A small dab (just smaller than the size of a pea) right in the middle of the cpu will give enough surface coverage. Do not try to "paint" the cpu with thermal paste, it will allow air to become trapped when the heat sink is clamped down. Try to push down and clamp the heat sink in one motion so the blob of paste will spead out evenly. If done right, you won't have a single air bubble trapped and the pressure will give an excellent thin spread of paste out over the entire chip.

Hope that helps!

PS: I've had a PS die on me as well even with the best voltage regulation systems, I have 3 servers and now use Fortron power supplies which are highly regarded in the server and high-end pc market.

• 2 weeks later...