1st Mario Bros. Level Created With Doom Engine

Sky10w10w

Some games do make you sick but not from motion sickness, it's because they suck so much. Like those old bible games for the snes and nes.

I don't think you'll find too many FPS fans who'd agree with your opinion that 'Doom sucks.' Doom pretty much 'made' the first person shooter genre, and is easily one of the most influential games of all time.

I don't think you'll find too many FPS fans who'd agree with your opinion that 'Doom sucks.' Doom pretty much 'made' the first person shooter genre, and is easily one of the most influential games of all time.

Id have to say Wolfenstein 3d made the genre, and with its profits ID got better advertising for Doom hehehe.. :D

That original run ID did was so awesome.. And then every other company killed the genre with waaaaaay too many of them..

You can only do Quake for so long, whether its a WWII scene, outer space, or in Hell!

That Mario skin looked rad though! If only Mario couldve had a chainsaw in the original SMB series!!

Thor thats funny you mentioned the motion sickness.

I used to stay up all hours running through Doom/Doom2/Quake1-2-3 deathmatches just fine..

Then the one day I played Unreal Tournament on a friends XBox on a big screen, thought I was going to puke my guts out!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hehe, pretty cool!

I'm not into mods, but that looked interesting.

Thor thats funny you mentioned the motion sickness.

I used to stay up all hours running through Doom/Doom2/Quake1-2-3 deathmatches just fine..

Then the one day I played Unreal Tournament on a friends XBox on a big screen, thought I was going to puke my guts out!!

Half Life makes me dizzy... o.O

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest thefunkyredcaboose

I must agree with those who find this unnerving... but fireballs instead of guns would definitely correct the issue.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
That was an awesome video. Nothing like seeing a old classic from a different view.

I just have this to say: Thank goodness the NES didn't have the hardware power necessary to do this in the 80s ;)

2D platformers > FPS anyday

Edited by dhowerter

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I would have rather seen this about 15 years ago. I can't play Doom anymore because it makes me motion sick :P
Motion sick, huh? That's funny: people said the same thing about Descent when it first debuted.

Do you play any first person shooters at all, then, or are you merely sickened by oldies like Doom, Heretic, Rise of the Triad, and Duke 3D?

I had never motion sickness when I played those games on their prime. But I remember

trying to 100% finish Wolfstein some months ago and finally finding out what that whole

motion sickness deal was. I simply installed the game (on Windows 2000) and it worked,

but then, I noticed that after 10-15 minutes my head started to ache a lot and my lunch

decided to try new things, like exiting my body through another hole...

I think that has something to do with the way the operational system handled that old

DOS game. Perhaps it forced it run into a very low frame rate, I don't know. What I

do know is that I've found a kind of buggy, but working, open GL Wolfstein 3D port

I it allowed my to finaly finish the game without dying (in real life).

"Newer" games like Quake (QuakeWorld), which I still play a lot, have never given me

motion sickeness. In the matter of fact, any game that was made to be played inside

MS Windows have never given me any trouble. And they usually run at 60 or more

frames per second.

• 1 month later...