Any Mac Users Out There?

meppi

I'm thinking of getting a new laptop between now and summer since my old done is about 5 years old now.

The thing is, I'm used to XP since I got my first system.

My best friend bought a laptop only a month ago, which has Vista installed.

After only 2 weeks it didn't want to boot anymore, so he brought it over to me.

The only thing I could do was reformat it and reinstall all the programs and everything.

Now, while doing this I came to one conclusion: I absolutely hate Vista. :angry:

It just feels like a bloated, inefficient and even whiny OS. Not even gonna touch the MS spycrap.

"You can't do this, you can't do that, are you sure you want to copy this file there....are you really sure? Well, sorry but do you have permission? You do? Well, I can't let you do that as you have to be logged in as the administrator of the system to do that....."

To which my reply was f*&$"^^^$ you $^¨ùµ^$-à! I just formatted and re-installed you, who the $^é!ç do you think I am???? :on2long:

So to make a long story short. I refuse to get a system with Vista as it's OS.

I could always go and reinstall XP, but since my XP copy that came with my current laptop is bound to this system, it can't be used on another pc.

So I am about 99% sure that my next laptop will be a Macbook Pro, as I wanted to get a Mac in the first place 5 years ago, but they ended up being a bit too expensive for me then.

I've watched several OSX tutorials and demonstrations and also made sure to check that certain programs I'm using right now are compatible with OSX.

And I must say I'm linking what I'm seeing.

So are there any people out there that could help me out a bit so that I don't make the wrong decision.

Things I should watch out for. Does it really pay off to go for a Macbook Pro instead of a regular one, tips to help ease any adaption pains, etc.

All is welcome. :happy:

Someone at work gave me a CD bootable version of Linux today to try out, since he thinks that's the best alternative. But I just tried it out, and besides a couple of nice options and ideas I'm not impressed, at all.

Yeah I don't use mac on a normal basis but I love Mac. Right now I run XP Media Center edition and dual boot with Linux on another partition.

The thing is Macs are great for visual things such as for Video or Imaging. My problem is finding software for it that I really getinto.

The good thing you might be interested in is getting a Mac with a pentium that way you can run both Mac OS X and Win XP on a dual boot system. I don't know if the mac books support this but I wouldn't be suprised to see it. That way you can get the best of both worlds.

• 3 months later...

Its' a bit late for that. I got my MacBook Pro a few weeks ago. :)

But fear not, I love it.

Had some trouble adjusting at first with all the different programs that I needed to find and adapt to.

And the operating system itself is indeed quite different from windows which I needed time to get used to.

But after all said and done, it was a very quick and painless change really.

Can't see myself going back again TBH, at least not out of my free will.

• 4 months later...