Anyone Else On Here Watch Anime?

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

Just wondering if there are any Anime lovers on here? I must admit that 3 years ago I can distinctly remember busting a guys balls because he liked anime. Then one day I got addicted to it myself. Its not like traditional cartoons that you would find in the states, these shows are geared toward a much older crowd.

Anyways I am caught up in this show right now (just hit episode 160)

Bleach

bleach5-1.jpg

Ichigo Kurosaki is a normal high schooler -- except that he has the ability to see spirits. But when a Soul Reaper named Rukia gives him her power to defeat an evil ghost, he's tasked with keeping the city safe from the monstrous Hollow spirits that plague the world's earth-bound souls.

This show starts off a little slow, but by episode 15 you will not be able to turn it off. I started watching when it had about 40 episodes....and I caught up within 3 days

The thing is, in principle I like anime. Very much so.

But it's been many years since I actually watched any.

The one movie that made me fall in love with it was Ghost in the shell. Still think of it as a masterpiece.

After that I started looking for similar experiences and found that besides Patlabor 1 and 2 and Akira it was pretty hard to come across anime over here.

This was 10 years or so ago though.

Recently I've been thinking of getting back into it and found myself wanting to find some great movies or series. But just as I had trouble finding the good asian movies when I first started looking for them, I now have the problem that I simply don't know what exactly to look for.

Seeing that 90% is probably kid stuff, or things that don't interest me doesn't help much either.

I have bought Paprika a couple of weeks back as I've heard great things about it, but I haven't watched it yet. Seen the trailer of it and it seems right up my alley.

I also watched the very first episode of Ghost in the shell Stand Alone Complex and I'm thinking of buying both DVD box sets when I can find them at a decent price.

I have several movies on my to buy list, but I'm not sure if they are actually good enough to buy as I can't compare impressions with people who like the same stuff as me, since I don't yet know what I'm after. I like a nice sci-fi story, mature content or at least a mature way of looking at the content matter. And I do like asian extreme movies if you can call them that, from horror to simply weird shocking stuff which catches you completely off guard.

I might give the following a try:

Sky Blue

Millennium Actress

Perfect Blue

Paranoia Agent

If you are into regular asian cinema, a couple of my favorites are Old Boy, A Tale of two sisters, Visitor Q, the original Ju-On movie (V-Cinema version), Ichi The Killer, Ring 1 and Hanabi.

Loved that last one so much that I instantly bought every movie by Takeshi Kitano that I could find. :grin:

I have a soft spot for Takashi Miike as well, but that's probably a bit of an acquired taste. :devil:

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah!

I like, but really don't watch much...

The last I've watched was Elfen Lied.

My favorites are from Gainax, Clamp and Pioneer.

These new ones, like Naruto, Bleach and Death Note I'm not planning to watch soon...

I don't watch that much mainly because I don't like downloading from fansubbers, cause sometimes the subtitles are badly translated...

But, the licensed ones (and here we don't get many) are a bit expensive for me to buy... (And I'm buying a lot of games lately, so I'm pushing the animes away.. )

^^'