What Was Your First Video Game Magazine Subscription?

Phillyman

As with many others in this thread, my first magazine subscription was to Nintendo Power. I would be so excited when a new issue arrived, and then read it from cover to cover. Especially in the beginning when the magazine was bi-monthly and there was a longer wait between issues! It was a great magazine because there were practically no advertisements, it was all game coverage. Ok, so there was a sneaky bias towards anything published by Nintendo, but still...

Do you mean, like 10 and under or 18 and under or what? I didn't start subscribing to a magazine until Lego Magazine. The next other subscription was probably Game Informer(it was that deal at EB).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nintendo Power all the way. Started with volume 64, back issue ordered volume 17 (Yay Final Fantasy!! ^_^), and subscribed up until volume 186. I still have all of them too; lined up on the entirety of the bottom shelf of a bookcase in my room. Also somewhere I found "The Best of the Nintendo Comics System", which has comics of Super Mario Land, Metroid, Legend of Zelda, Captain N, and Punch Out.

I bought several issues of Nintendo Power when I was young and finially convinced my mom to let me subscribe. My first subscription issue was #67. I've been a subscriber ever since. I did my best to order the older issues, but eventually Nintendo either ran out or got tired of offering them, so my collection is far from complete...

I started picking up issues of Game Player's (Strategy and Buyer's) Guide To Nintendo in 1988 (there were multiple GP titles from 1988 into the early 1990's). I bought EGM 1, 3, 6 and 9 at my local drug store or grocery store, but I didn't start buying it every month until issue 16. I also bought GamePro off the rack in the early days, starting with issue 1.

My first actual subscription was Nintendo Fun Club Newsletter, starting with number 3. Of course, I rolled that subscription over to Nintendo Power. I still have issues 1 - 31 and 35. I have a few misc. other NP's from over the years after that.

I still have some of my old Game Player's, and I've picked up a few more from eBay. I have EGM 9 still, and 16 - 61. And I have misc. issues after that. I gave my EGM 1, 3 and 6 to various friends back in late '89 or early '90. What a fool I was in my youth. I guess I was in 10th or 11th grade at the time. My GamePro 1 is missing the cover, and the first few outer pages are barely hanging onto the staples. I still have quite a few GamePro's dated from 1990 through 1993 or 1994. I'd have to dig those out, and I'll admit I haven't taken care of those as much.

The only magazine I ever subscribed to when I was a kid was that WWF magazine. I bought all my video game magazines in store. I would normally buy Gamepro, Game Players and Nintendo Power. I didn't start reading EGM until Mortal Kombat 2 came around, because they had MK on their cover every month it seems.. I thought EGM was a little "wordy" back then, and now it's my favorite video game mag today.

The only magazine I ever subscribed to when I was a kid was that WWF magazine.

Oh wow, major flashback.

I bought those ones for several years as well, including the WCW magazine even though I had never seen WCW on TV and they had stopped broadcasting WWF over here as well for several years already.

I was so hungry for anything pro-wrestling related at the time I didn't even mind that I couldn't follow the real deal.

I remember the magazines being very expensive over here, up to €15 a piece depending on where you bought them.

Needless to say, I love the internet as well as satellite tv. :Yahooo:

I think ..... and it's hazy being so long ago .... that it might have been Amstrad Action followed by Computer Gamer .... or maybe vice versa. I know I had just purchased an Amstrad CPC but was also playing around with the in-laws Atari 800XL and he subscribed to Antic about the same time. Actually, I might still have a few of those around somewhere :-)

Oh wow, major flashback.

I bought those ones for several years as well, including the WCW magazine even though I had never seen WCW on TV and they had stopped broadcasting WWF over here as well for several years already.

I was so hungry for anything pro-wrestling related at the time I didn't even mind that I couldn't follow the real deal.

I remember the magazines being very expensive over here, up to €15 a piece depending on where you bought them.

Needless to say, I love the internet as well as satellite tv. :Yahooo:

haha yeah I was the same way too. When they stopped airing WWF on NBC I pretty much stopped watching wrestling, although I would catch the ocasional WCW show on TBS or something, I didn't have a good cable company, so no USA for WWF Raw, no TNT for WCW Nitro, until we upgraded to PrimeStar Satilite (dead now) and finally got those channels so I could watch wrestling again, got re-hooked during the Macho Man / DDP fued for WCW and Steve Austin / Brian Pillman feud for WWF.. WCW eventually won be over for their awesome mid-carders and then stopped watchin again after WCW went into the crapper.. I just don't have the heart anymore...

My first subsrciption was also Nintendo Power, followed by Game Player's. I also recall having a subsricption at that time to a really cool horror movie magazine (not Fangoria) and comic book news-style magazine, but can't recall what the names were. I only mention them to say that I loved the magazines back then, much better than today's.

Video Games and Computer Entertainment! VG&CE gave me my first insight into the Lynx, TurboGrafx and Genesis years before they were released. There issues were thicker than EGM at the time and I thought they were a better value. Up until this point Mom would buy me EGMs every now and then. VG&CE died and I think the remainder of my sub turned into GamePlayers. My next Sub was EGM followed by NextGen which I to this day miss. I'm considering getting a sub to Edge.

Oh wow I feel embarrassed, I have NEVER subscribed to a video game magazine..

And now your probably thinking "Well why are you here, get off!" Well, I don't have the money. I have lots of magazines to buy from the store that I get once in a while but I don't have the money or the time to subscribe...

I'm in the same boat, Spongeman. I've been meaning to subscribe to EGM though, seeing as I listen their podcast every week.

• 2 weeks later...

The first video game magazine I subscribe to was EGM. Don't recall when I started, but that was 10+ years ago.

Back then, I was interested to read about new games coming out and their tips & tricks section.

Edited by minglw

I think my first subscription was EGM, but I know others were pretty memorable. Gameplayers was lol wacky. I never really liked Gamepro. I enjoyed Sega Visions until less interesting games started coming out. I can't remember if I had a Gamefan subscription, but it was a great magazine.