Cbr To Cbz Conversion

PeeCloud

As meppi worked out, CBZ (zip compression) works better than CBR (rar compression). You get fast loading and quicker times for packing and unpacking.

So far, I've worked out a quite easy way to convert CBR to CBZ without repeating your steps every time. You just have to configure WinRar...

Go to Run (Windows key+R) and type winrar.

Go to Options, Settings, Compression.

Pick Create default. Click Zip and set Compression method to fastest. OK.

Go to the Interigation tab.

Make sure that Intergrate WinRar into shell is checked.

Click Context menu items. Check 'Convert archive...' OK. OK. Done.

Now, rename your .cbr files to .rar. I haven't found a quick way of doing this yet. Can anyone here write a script/action that would do this?

Select all of your rars and pick 'Convert archive'. OK.

When that's done, rename all of the .zips to .cbz.

I think that should do it!

I know from reading the introduction book that arrived last week that OS X can do all kinds of batch conversion things and much much more with it's Automator program.

But that won't help anyone here sadly enough.

So what I did (only for my own cbr for now) was to to extract them with winrar.

You don't have to rename them to rar first to be able to have winrar open them. you can simply rightclick - open with - winrar on the cbr and it'll do just fine.

Extract the images which normally should be inside a map, but that's not necessary, and then zip the file back up by choosing add to archive... and change the zip at the end to cbz before clicking ok.

Would it make a difference on the following points...

1) Does 7zip achieve the same if not better results when creating .zips?

2) Since we upload .cbr's and .nfo's inside of a zip, will it cause any problems having essentially a zip inside of a zip?

1) 7Zip would probably work just fine, but the thing with JPGs might be that since you already compressed the files by saving the original scans as JPG files, you'd lose even more detail by choosing a higher compression setting.

So I prefer to use the store compression option, which seems to leave the archive and therefore the pics alone and don't compress them any further.

You can even set Winrar to create zips as standard.

First right click on a file and choose add to archive... then choose ZIP instead of RAR as your archive format, also set the compression method to STORE.

Now click on the profiles tab and choose the first option: SAVE CURRENT SETTINGS TO A NEW PROFILE.

There choose SET PROFILE AS DEFAULT and then click ok.

If you now right click on an image folder, or any other file for that matter, Winrar will automatically set the options to ZIP as a STORE compression.

2) Putting a renamed ZIP or RAR file in another ZIP or RAR file with or without another file won't create any problems.

As long as people remember to unpack the first zip or rar to get to the CBZ/R inside. :wink:

For files that are too large to upload on rapidshare in one piece I simply create the CBZ as normal and then RAR it in a multirar file, since you can't do this with ZIPs.

But that way, people still get to download them from rapidshare and keep the faster ZIP created CBZ as well.

• 1 year later...

Now, rename your .cbr files to .rar. I haven't found a quick way of doing this yet. Can anyone here write a script/action that would do this?

I know this is an old thread, but found it when looking how to convert cbr to cbz so I can read comics on my mobile phone. So firstly thanks. Secondly, to do the batch extension renaming I use Irfanview a freeware image converter.

To do this open Irfanview

- Press 'B' as this is the keyboard shortcut to the Batch conversion window

- ensure Batch rename is selected

- In the Name pattern box under Batch rename settings, put $N.rar

( $N is the filename without extension, so you are simply making your .cbr to .rar)

- click Options (this only has to be done once as the app remembers settings after closing) and ensure "rename original/input files" and "overwrite existing files" have been selected

- in the directory view add all the files you want to rename

- click start batch

Once you've used the convert archive step in the first post, to then change the .zip to .cbr, you simply repeat the above steps but in the Name pattern box put $N.cbz

Cheers

Because it's wrong. Reader will read it because it recognize format, but with renaming you didn't get anything (except confused reader for a little bit :D).

IMHO whole rar vs. zip speed is meaningless. You don't get much time out of it, and I personally like cbr files instead of cbz. (it's just your own preference)

As for batch process, I use total commander to compress bunch of folders into rar file per folder. (you can use zip or one of other archiving formats)

Edited by SuperFrog

Because of work I have to see file extension, so that's why they are there...

In XP/Vista (32 bit only) you can use CDisplayEX script that is included in folder after install. (register and unregister)

This will enable/disable CBR/CBZ file thubmnail preview.

But for Win7 (as well XP and Vista in both 32 and 64 bit architecture) and those who don't like to use CDisplay script, there is handy program made by T-800. (NOTE - if you have CDisplayEx script installed, then you need to remove it)

• 1 year later...

This reply is really late, but thanks TC your info was spot on I have one tip to offer for you all making a batch file to do it all is the best way really...

you just need to

make sure you have set up your winrar as PissCloud suggests

substitute *.cbr cbz where applicable for you

Make sure this is the directory of YOUR winrar

and put this in folder you want to convert double click and poof all converted

@echo off
ren *.cbr *.rar
c:\progra~1\winrar\winrar cv -y *.rar
ren *.zip *.cbz

to convert back

make sure you change the settings of your convert in winrars settings and this code should do it

@echo off
ren *.cbz *.zip
c:\progra~1\winrar\winrar cv -y *.zip
ren *.rar *.cbr

copy and paste into a notepad and save as convert.bat (make sure its not set to .txt at the bottom it needs to say all files or it will tack on .txt and the batch file will not work)

PS>> I signed up to the boards here just to post this, if this helps anyone feel free to mail me @ CordovaCoups at gmail dot com