Egm Issue #3 Query, Trying To Find Two Reviews From It

Kung Fu Man

I know it's rather uncouth to ask for help on one's very first post, but needing some help tracking down two reviews for their text for some work on wikipedia I'm doing. EGM Issue 3 back in 1989 reviewed Alleyway and Super Mario Land. The issue itself is easy to recognize, it's the "Fabio cover" for IronSword.

Basically just need a scan of the reviews, or at the very least a transcription so I can read them and cite as needed.

Other than that, have you guys considered promoting yourselves a little bit in the Wikipedia talk page? It'd give you some support possibly and there's never really a shortage of old magazine references needed for articles over there.

Thanks for your time.

• Retromags Curator
I know it's rather uncouth to ask for help on one's very first post, but needing some help tracking down two reviews for their text for some work on wikipedia I'm doing. EGM Issue 3 back in 1989 reviewed Alleyway and Super Mario Land. The issue itself is easy to recognize, it's the "Fabio cover" for IronSword.

Basically just need a scan of the reviews, or at the very least a transcription so I can read them and cite as needed.

Other than that, have you guys considered promoting yourselves a little bit in the Wikipedia talk page? It'd give you some support possibly and there's never really a shortage of old magazine references needed for articles over there.

Thanks for your time.

EGM Issue 3 is on ebay right now, If you win it and send it to me, I will happily scan the entire issues and then mail you the physical copy back :)

• Retromags Curator
Eh would if I had the cash, and really only need it for those two reviews now the whole mag. If I wanted the whole thing, wouldn't I have just gone for it right off and not posted here anyway? o_O

True enough :)

If I had the money I would buy it, scan it.....and then relist it on Ebay.

I am not too up on Wikipedia, not sure how to go about promoting this site on there without causing trouble :blink:

I can bring it up on the video game project's talk page, probably the best in the end but might get some guys with issues you're missing to drop by and offer.

As for what I need, guess I'll just wait and see with this topic. Someone's bound to have it anyway.

• Retromags Curator
I can bring it up on the video game project's talk page, probably the best in the end but might get some guys with issues you're missing to drop by and offer.

As for what I need, guess I'll just wait and see with this topic. Someone's bound to have it anyway.

Well I have a bid on EGM Issue 001 right now, If I get outbid I will move that bid to EGM Issue 002......if I get outbid I will move that bid to EGM Issue 003......rinse and repeat until I win one :cool:

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your time.

Yeah I got that issue.. I'll try and scan that review later and put it up somewhere.

• Retromags Curator
Yeah I got that issue.. I'll try and scan that review later and put it up somewhere.

If you scan the entire magazine and send it to me..... you will become a Lifetime Premium Member! :D

Just do it at the original resolution and a DPI of 300, with all the special effects turned off (sharpness, dust removal, auto contrast)

If you scan the entire magazine and send it to me..... you will become a Lifetime Premium Member! :D

Just do it at the original resolution and a DPI of 300, with all the special effects turned off (sharpness, dust removal, auto contrast)

Yeah I can probably do that. The only thing is these are my original magazines, bought from the newstand back when they were available. So they aint exactly in premium shape.. they're pretty beat up actually (some even missing covers). Hey, I read them a lot! :lol: At least I kept em all though. :) Anyway.. I just quickly scanned what he asked for right now, the Alleyway & SML review, as well as the cover, so check it out.

http://download.yousendit.com/26DC35B25F5AB10A

I only have a single scanner here and it's a Canon MX700 all-in-one. And I am also not exactly an expert on doing them (making them straight, cleaning them up, etc.). But there ya go.

I did have one project I was thinking of doing first though.. and that was to scan in my issue of EGP (Electronic Game Player). To me, that is the first issues of EGM although they don't really acknowledge it. They always pretty much dismiss it and say it was just a newsletter that predated EGM, but if you look at the writing, the people involved, the articles etc.. it's pretty much the same magazine as the early EGM's. The name is just different. Here's the some low-res scans from it so far including the cover and the Quarterman article..

Egp-00.jpg

EGP_OCT88-15.jpg

Allrighty.. I'll do it. That being said I noticed some of the guys here are real hyper-particular of how scans should be done, etc. :lol: I am definitely no scanning expert, nor am I a photoshop expert. All I can do is scan them in using the gear I got the best and straightest that I can... But just know they'll probably be all over the place and raw. Someone else has to do the cleanup probably if they want to :P But scan them I will...

• Retromags Curator
Allrighty.. I'll do it. That being said I noticed some of the guys here are real hyper-particular of how scans should be done, etc. :lol: I am definitely no scanning expert, nor am I a photoshop expert. All I can do is scan them in using the gear I got the best and straightest that I can... But just know they'll probably be all over the place and raw. Someone else has to do the cleanup probably if they want to :P But scan them I will...

Honestly not really too particular, I think as long as you scan at the best resolution you can get with your scanner.....and don't stitch the pages together....that no one will say anything :P

I scan at 300DPI....and the original resolution......then I run the pages through the free program IRfanview and have them set to a width of 1400 and a DPI of 250 :)