Members In The Uk?

hahnchen

I'm interested in UK gaming mags from the 16-bit era onwards. I'd be more than happy to donate funds towards getting these magazines.

I know meppi has scanned some UK stuff, but are there any scanners actually based in the UK? Is there a wishlist for UK magazines that retromags wants?

There are always interesting eBay auctions, just looking now at auctions coming up to end in the UK, and there's:

XBM Magazine - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XBM-XBOX-magazine-Co...emZ250227739310

N64 Magazine - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/N64-Magazine-Near-Co...emZ290215612599

Game Zone Magazine - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/game-zone-magazine-1...emZ110235334112

How are the funds handled behind the scenes, do you look at auctions and then decide how much to spend from the Retromags budget?

//This post is in the wrong place in the forum. But I can't seem to delete it.

• Retromags Curator
I'm interested in UK gaming mags from the 16-bit era onwards. I'd be more than happy to donate funds towards getting these magazines.

I know meppi has scanned some UK stuff, but are there any scanners actually based in the UK? Is there a wishlist for UK magazines that retromags wants?

There are always interesting eBay auctions, just looking now at auctions coming up to end in the UK, and there's:

XBM Magazine - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XBM-XBOX-magazine-Co...emZ250227739310

N64 Magazine - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/N64-Magazine-Near-Co...emZ290215612599

Game Zone Magazine - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/game-zone-magazine-1...emZ110235334112

How are the funds handled behind the scenes, do you look at auctions and then decide how much to spend from the Retromags budget?

I would love to see some more foreign scanners like Meppi, We can always take up donations for oversea's magazines (just ask Meppi)

This was meant to go in the "help" forum. But I had too many tabs open, kind of lost track.

----

Yeah, but are there any scanners based in the UK? If I have some mags which I'd like to donate, who do I forward them onto?

• Retromags Curator
This was meant to go in the "help" forum. But I had too many tabs open, kind of lost track.

----

Yeah, but are there any scanners based in the UK? If I have some mags which I'd like to donate, who do I forward them onto?

The Retromags fund is still recovering from the EGM purchases, We had $50 in the fund.....I put $60 out of my pocket because I know I will be reselling these magazines on Ebay after scanning. I also have a bid on Nintendo Fun Club Issue 1 right now ......I will move your topic now :)

Yeah that's true, I calculated that with the magazines I now have and the ones I'm still looking for I will know what to do for at least the coming 7 years, and that's if I finish one magazine per week. :whistling:

That's why I'm only looking to complete certain sets right now, otherwise I'm simply starting series of mags that I know I'll probably never finish. So I choose the ones I myself love the most. Mostly the EMAP video game publications, since most of the great writers that worked on certain magazines migrated from one publication to the next within EMAP itself.

So right now I'm only looking to complete the following, which I take as my responsibility:

- Club Nintendo Magazine (UK/English)

- Computer And Videogames (UK) - only the Paul Davies years right now, otherwise it would take forever, and I consider the Paul Davies years to be the best of the best when it comes to CVG. (from

166-214)

- Dreamcast Magazine (UK) - should have the full set soon, as they should be underway right now.

- Maximum The Videogame Magazine - finished

- Mean Machines - only missing a couple issues

- Mean Machines Sega - still missing about half the set

- MegaTech (UK) - full set in my possession

- Official Dreamcast Magazine (UK) - The complete set should be underway

- Official Nintendo Magazine (UK) - lots more to collect here over the 3 different names the magazine has gone through

- Official Sega Magazine - only missing 5 issues

- Official Sega Saturn Magazine - full set in my possession

- Super Play - full set in my possession

Meppi and Kbf_private_joker both have enough magazines to keep them busy for the next few years.....Time for some more recruits :)

If I can get out 1 mag per week, it will take about 2.5 years for me to complete all the GamePros, PC Gamers, and PC Games magazines I have. However, I will be getting married in July, so I won't be driving back and forth from my gf's house and eating up 45 min a day. I will also (hopefully) be living very close to work, so I anticipate being able to up that estimate to 2-3 mags per week. Hopefully my future wife will see it as "cleaning up the place" and be more open to letting me spend time on this project. I don't think she realizes how many mags I will be bringing into the marriage. :)

-Noah

- Official Nintendo Magazine (UK) - lots more to collect here over the 3 different names the magazine has gone through

- Super Play - full set in my possession

I used to have loads of copies of NMS, from issue 11 through till around mid 1999 and the N64 period. Threw them all out though when I moved house x number of years ago. You should try getting the earlier magazines, I stopped buying them round about the N64 period because they switched the format and style of the magazine to Nintendo Official Magazine. I had grown up, and the magazine dumbed down, the reviews were all pictures and captions and no text. A lot of pages were wasted in an A-Z of N64 review scores every single issue. And the ridiculous cost of N64 games meant I was never going to get the console.

Currently, the only Super Play on Retromags is Issue 36 by BarbieOnWeed. It's awesome.

That might be some good advice. I've heard before that the mag went though some changes and that they weren't for the best.

So I might simply keep it to Nintendo Magazine System.

Too bad really, as I probably loved the N64 period of gaming the most. I even have a couple of old Nintendo Magazines from the second set from way back, but it's been 10 years since I lost read them, so I don't remember much about it.

Only that I liked the mag enough at the time to keep asking for it, but they stopped carrying it over here and instead started selling the exact same magazine, but translated in French. :angry:

The magazine even lagged a month or sometimes 2 behind the original UK publication, probably due to all the translation work required...