Whats Stopping You From Helping?  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Please Choose One!

• I don't own a scanner!
    • I don't have the time to scan!
    • I don't have any old magazines!
    • I don't have english magazines!
    • I am just plain lazy!
    • I like the releases, but not enough to help!
    • I have magazines I have scanned, but cant figure out how to upload them to Retromags!

Another solution to the 2 page issue is just to use ComicRack when you have double page selected it is smart enough to always open the front cover separately and start showing double pages when you click the next page

Ah, good tip!

Never heard about that program before.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely check it out it also gives acts as a library giving you thumbnails of all of your cbr files

Just installed the program.

It seems very good indeed. A bit more complicated at first than CDisplay, but you get much more options in return.

It takes a bit of getting used to, but every program does.

I wish there was a version for OS X as well, because I'm switching over in a bit.

They only seem to have ffView:

http://www.feedface.com/software/ffview.html

If I don't like FFView, I can always try Crossover Mac to see if it supports either CDisplay or ComicRack in OS X.

My ancient scanner is pretty much dead and rarely scans anything these days that is usable, but l will hopefully be getting a new one next month, and do own a few old magazines although nothing that was requested. Unfortunately l have a lot of other scanning commitments, but will do a few gaming magazines as well.

In regards to the joined pages, I use Comicrack as well, or you can put the very last page before the first page (usually an add), that way the pages can be read easily.

I'm really thinking of buying a scanner now and making an effort that I see all the fantastic work you guys have done!

• 3 weeks later...

It's really two things for me. Firstly I used to have quite a few different magazines over the years but my mother would throw them out every now and then, and secondly the few that I do have still (more recent PC Gamer UK and Edge issues) are at my parents' home where I don't live anymore. If I ever actually have the opportunity to scan I will do so because I was planning to anyway for my own convenience (obviously now with submission to Retromags in mind), but I don't know what that'll be.

A few years ago I had a website where I was attempting to do the same project as Retromags.com is, but work got in the way and I had to abandon the site. I will probably start it up again sometime in the future and maybe there can be some kind of collaboration. I litterally have shelves of hundreds of gaming magazines, though some of the more rare items such as that EGM #1 you placed on your page I do not have, so that was a real treat.

I am curious though, have you ever been contacted by the publishers of EGM or GamePro about placing their content up online?

• Retromags Curator
A few years ago I had a website where I was attempting to do the same project as Retromags.com is, but work got in the way and I had to abandon the site. I will probably start it up again sometime in the future and maybe there can be some kind of collaboration. I litterally have shelves of hundreds of gaming magazines, though some of the more rare items such as that EGM #1 you placed on your page I do not have, so that was a real treat.

I am curious though, have you ever been contacted by the publishers of EGM or GamePro about placing their content up online?

No I have not, And at any time that I get a legitimate request to remove such material.....it shall be removed immediately. Retromags does not want to step on any publishers toes, that is why we stay 5 years behind the current publication. So as of today we only go up to April 2003.....anything past that is prohibited. But if a publisher decided to release an electronic format of there past magazines....that too would cause immediate removal and such from this website also. I honestly hope that we never get a cease and desist....but if we do we will comply fully with the publishers requests.

• 1 month later...

all of my old game magazine's were lent out to (so called) friends over the years but never got them back :angry:

i used to have lots of total and nms magazines as well as n64 magazine - what i would love to see on here are the early issues of TOTAL! as its been 15 years since i last read them - anyone know where i can download them??

Great site by the way!! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BennyTheBall

I don't own a scanner. if i did, i wouldn't know how to use it. if i did know how to use it, i wouldnt know how to upload it to this site.

• 2 months later...

I will do whatever I can to help as soon as I can get back to my mother's house and grab my boxes of old magazines. Would anyone be interested in old instruction manuals? I think I have the instructions for just about every NES game and a bunch of others from random systems.

Seems like they would fit with everything else.

Not being able to buy a Total! magazine collection from ebay (i thought this UK mag was popular) and scanning them because of shitty Future Publishing's rules, is there even anyone have cover scans of the early issues id love to see the covers for old times sake! My scanner is really old but i might try and scan Arcade issue 1 and the 1993 NMS Game Guide which i still have. There isnt enough UK Video Game mag Scans on this site!

Edited by madgalls26