E-Day's Work In Progress

E-Day

• Retromags Curator
On 23/08/2017 at 5:29 PM, Melki said:

35dTqS5.jpg

aaaaaaahhh! really? thanks!!! did i tell u i luv ur avi? <3

You did not, but I can understand why; it's awesome :)

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate editing posters? It seems like no matter what, I can never get it super perfect.

It takes me about 3-4 hours to scan one Nintendo Power on my Canon flatbed. I am sure if I didn't scan as TIFF and lowered the resolution, and didn't scan it as a magazine it would go much faster. But why sacrifice quality? :)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Retromags Curator

Nintendo Power Issue 166 March 2003 is now available. Next will be the Flying Warriors comic for GamePro Issue 19, and then I think I have one more Issue of Nintendo Power already debound. If not, I will be editing a bunch of scans Phillyman recently did.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Retromags Curator

Two more small supplements scanned, edited and released. As well, something more substantial, Mega Play Vol. 3 No. 6 from January 1993 (scan #291). Up next will be a Resident Evil comic that I scanned, as well as issue of Antic that Phillyman scanned that I want to edit before I start scanning GamePro magazines for Melki to edit ;)

I was under the impression that we were avoiding hosting comic scans.  In general, only Marvel actively targets sites hosting scans of their comics, so most RE comics are probably safe, but scanning comics in general is always more morally ambiguous than magazines because they are constantly being reprinted, and most major companies like Marvel and DC have most of their comics for sale digitally as well.  Don't get me wrong, I download comic scans like nobody's business, but I'm just not sure it's the best idea to start hosting them here.

Well, all English-language Resident Evil comics have already been scanned and can be found online, so I wouldn't consider it an urgent priority, regardless.

Being a licensed title, it may be the case that the license has expired and Wildstorm/DC no longer has the rights to publish them, in which case they might be able to be considered truly out-of-print.  However, if another publisher picks up the RE rights, I'm not sure if that also gives them permission to publish past works that were originally printed by another publisher, although this would seem to be the case.  For example, when Dark Horse took over the Star Wars license from Marvel, they reprinted Marvel's Star Wars comics, and now that Marvel has the license again (or more accurately, now that Disney owns both Marvel and Star Wars), they're reprinting Dark Horse's Star Wars comics.  So it would seem that whoever currently has the Resident Evil license would technically have the right to reprint and sell those older RE comics, should they choose to do so.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, E-Day said:

My priority now will be to get through the stack of GamePros I have sitting at my computer downstairs and scanning them on my flatbed for Melki to edit. Not having to edit them means I should be able to scan them more quickly when I sit down to do it.

Everyone has their own process, and the speed of scanning also depends upon the hardware being used, but in my experience, debinding and scanning a magazine takes about 1/5 of the time it takes to edit it.  Even so, the reason I don't release magazines often isn't because of the total time involved - it's because of the number of days it takes.  I can't edit an entire 200 page magazine in a single day (not unless I worked ALL DAY on it), so it takes multiple days to finish.  Since I only work up the willpower to work on magazine edits every once in a while, it severely drags out the process.  I might spend a total of 3 or 4 days editing a magazine, but if those days are spaced out over a two-month period...

On the other hand, if editing weren't necessary, debinding and scanning a magazine is a single step which I always finish in a single day.  So even if I only got the urge to work on magazines a couple of times per month, I would still be able to release a (raw) scan for every day I worked up the willpower.  And if I was scanning thin American mags, I could release twice as many.

EDITED to say (due to its relevance) that the magazine I'm currently "editing" is one I scanned almost 4 months ago.  It's 250 pages, sure, but the reason it isn't finished yet is because for most of those four months I haven't had the time or desire to work on it at all.  But it only took a single day to debind and scan...

Of course, if I used the hours per day I spend working on the databases and galleries to edit magazines instead, this would all be moot.😆

• Retromags Curator

I used to be able to edit scans at work during down time and could sometimes edit a magazine in a day. Since they locked down our USB ports I haven't been able to do that, so it's all done at home. Now instead of dedicating time to scanning and editing I'll do it while watching TV.

22 minutes ago, MigJmz said:

What I do is do 15 pages per day for edits. It wont take too long to edit a 200 page mag If you do it this way and you won't feel overwhelmed.

Lazy to some but it works for me.

I'm down to do some GamePro edits btw !

True.  My problem is that I'm already editing and uploading that many cover pics/ads per day to the galleries, in addition to creating database entries and doing the necessary research that allows me to do it all in the first place.  It takes significantly longer to do all that than to edit magazine pages, but finding the time or energy to do BOTH is nearly impossible.

So for the most part, I leave magazine edits to everyone not doing all that other stuff.😋

• Retromags Curator
On 11/22/2018 at 5:06 PM, Ethereal Dragonz said:

Hey do you know if you have these issues? These are the last of my USA magazines outside of the Xbox Nation magazines I am scanning.

magaz.thumb.jpg.7e3bd203d30597c2b0b674019d238e16.jpg

For scanning I think so far I saw maybe one of those. I brought up another stack of GamePro that I am going to sort through and de-bind, so I might have some of these. I know I don't have the GamePro with Doom 3 on the cover because I don't even have that one in my personal keep forever collection.

• 5 months later...
  • Retromags Curator

No updates in here since December, but that doesn't mean I have been sitting idle. Obviously I have been editing all the scans that Phillyman did in February (four left minus six that need pages rescanned). Aside from that, I have started putting my new Fujitsu fi-7160 (thanks to everyone who donated towards the Fujitsu ix1500 and to hardcorehubz for funding the upgrade to the fi-7160), and scanned 25 magazines with it, with two or three still to go), as well as scanned three magazines (one real one and two skinny promo supplements) with my trusty Canon Lide 210, and am finishing up one more.

Once I get all that stuff edited, I will be starting on CIVICMINDED's donated magazines. That will be a mix of manual scanning and ADF goodness. There will be lots of editing to do for anyone who's inclined to help. Editing of the ADF stuff is fairly easy, there's just a lot of it.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Retromags Curator
10 hours ago, eurynomos said:

Do you have Tips & Tricks Magazine issues?

That is what is getting posted almost every day :). Plus there is a small pile of issues among the donated magazines that will eventually go up as well.

I said I wanted pre 2001 issues of Tips & Tricks man...for the fighting games movelists and strategies I collect

4 minutes ago, E-Day said:

That is what is getting posted almost every day :). Plus there is a small pile of issues among the donated magazines that will eventually go up as well.