E-Day's Work In Progress

E-Day

5 hours ago, E-Day said:

Scanned the following GamePro issues:

180, 181, 182, 183 189, 190, 191, 193, 198, 199, 201, 203, 204, 206, 207, 208, 212, 224, 225, 227, 229.

Melki will be editing all the GamePros for me :)

I have also scanned the first two issues of The Adventures of GamePro.

(384 scans)

\o/ yes!

A little typo issue 190 is actually issue 192. Issue 190 is still missing xD

• Retromags Curator
21 hours ago, kitsunebi77 said:

Considering it's the only thing being released over a 2-3 month period, I feel like you're really missing your opportunity to use the GamePro-style Retromags logo.

I have 5 our so GamePro's left that are my scans that I'll be releasing today since I'm away next week. One I'm back I'm starting to release the donated magazines, so they won't be all GamePro. Melki's edits will be mixed in with stuff I am editing. 

17 hours ago, Melki said:

\o/ yes!

A little typo issue 190 is actually issue 192. Issue 190 is still missing xD

I think 190 is one I scanned yesterday. I'll double check. 

5 hours ago, E-Day said:

And the first one will not be GamePro :P

Hooray!

(j/k - all mags in that donation are of equal interest to me.  But yay for everyone else, and mad props to your output speed.)

Does this mean you won't be releasing anything for a week?  I was planning on waiting a couple of years or whenever you finish your uploading frenzy to upload any of the mags I've finished, but if there's a week-long lull coming up I might go ahead and add something.

If you're planning on continuing the uploads while you're away, or if Melki is going to pick up the slack, no problem.  I have no qualms with waiting till 2021 or whenever the daily uploads slow down.  There's always plenty of other stuff to occupy my time.

Oops.  I realized when the new release email went out that it was five Gamepros uploaded yesterday, not two.  My bad.  I can't tell Gamepros apart - they all look the same to me.  Does that make me a Gamepro racist?😂

Anyway, I assume that those were the Monday-Friday releases?  So if I upload something, it won't be instantly buried under 5 more GamePros until Saturday? 

On 7/8/2019 at 5:35 PM, kitsunebi77 said:

You've uploaded 2 GamePros in the last 24 hours, so I assume your vacation hasn't started yet?  (Don't worry, I'm not casing your home for a break-in.  Melki might be standing by to steal your GamePro collection though.  Watch your back.😉)

xD how do u know i was about to... Just kidding ... Or maybe not :3

• 1 month later...
  • Retromags Curator

So the first week of August I scanned 44 additional GamePro issues that Melki is working on. As well, I have scanned the following issues manually since my last update on here:

GamePro's Handheld Video Games (Spring 1991)
The Adventures of GamePro Issue 1 (June 1990)
The Adventures of GamePro Issue 2 (January 1991)
The Adventures of GamePro Issue 3 (August 1991)
Game Player's Sega Genesis Strategy Guide Vol.2 No.5 (October-November 1991)
GamePro Issue 003 (September-October 1989)

I also scanned Secrets of the Games Series - Sega Genesis Secrets Volume 2 (1991) that I had lying around and am slowly working on editing it, as well as a lone issue of PCXL.

Scan count: 441

• 3 weeks later...
  • Retromags Curator

The other week I found three issues of EGM that Cryomancer donated a couple of years ago (at least). Those have been scanned and will be edited (scan count: 444).

Normally lately I pick a bunch of stuff out of a donation box and scan it all. That was my plan once I get done the last few Game Player's while editing some of the manual scans I have been doing on and off. That is all on pause temporarily.

Priority is being given to Issue 3 of Electronic Game Player, which is on loan from Coury at My Life in Gaming. A huge thank you to him for entrusting me with this rare magazine.

• 2 months later...
  • Retromags Curator

So it bit slow on my end lately with releases, seeing as Christmas is on its way. I am hoping to pick up the pace in the new year. What's really slowing me down is that I am not editing on my Surface Pro 1 tablet anymore because:

1. it's quite slow being almost 7 years old, and
  2. the screen is pretty small at 10.1" which causes me to miss details that should be fixed.

Needless to say, I am no longer editing while watching TV, would would let me get through a lot more editing than I do now since I have to dedicate time to just editing on my main computer in the basement. I am contemplating getting a mid range laptop or all-in-on PC for the upstairs that I could use for editing among other things, but that comes with a financial burden.

Meanwhile, I want to finish editing everything I already have scanned before I start on scanning the box full of strategy guides that were part of the donation heap in March. I wish I could do all this faster simply to get all the boxes out of my house, as well as to fulfill my obligation to Civicminded  for the donation and to hardcorehubz for upgrading me to the fi-7160 :).

• 2 months later...
  • Retromags Curator

All-in-One computer was purchased, and arrived last month. A  bunch of stuff was edited, and apart from scans that Melki and crimsonfox are editing, I exhausted stuff to edit, so I have gotten back to scanning. Currently I am scanning all the strategy guides that CIVICMINDED sent. Since September the following items have been scanned:

Sega Visions Issue 1 (update scan)
Mega Play Vol. 1 No. 1 (November/December 1990) (update scan)
Mega Play Vol.2 No.4  (July/August 1991)
Mega Play Vol.3 No.4  (August 1992)
The Gamer Issue 1 (January-February 1992)

Analog Issue 26 (January 1985)
Atari Explorer (February 1985)
Foul Magazine Issue 4 (2001)
GamePro's Handheld Video Games Issue 2 (October-November 1991)
S.W.A.T. Issue 02 (June 1991)
S.W.A.T. Issue 03 (August-September 1991)
S.W.A.T.Pro Issue 06 (June-July 1992)
S.W.A.T.Pro Issue 07 (August-September 1992)
S.W.A.T.Pro Issue 12 (July 1993)
S.W.A.T.Pro Issue 20 (November 1994)
S.W.A.T.Pro Issue 21 (January 1995)
S.W.A.T.Pro Issue 23 (May 1995)
S.W.A.T.Pro Issue 25 (September 1995)

Code Vault Issue 5 (August 2002)
GamePro Issue 104 (May 1997)
GamePro Issue 105 (June 1997)
GamePro Issue 108 (September 1997)
GamePro Issue 119 (August 1998)
Killer Instinct Nintendo Power Exclusive Edition Issue 1 (1996)
Power Supplies Catalog (Winter 2000)
Nintendo fun vision Issue 30 (February-March 1997)
Nintendo Power Subscriber Bonus 2001
PlayAction Strategies - Super Nintendo (1992)
Pokémon Power Volume 1 (August 1998)
Pokémon Power Volume 2 (September 1998)
Pokémon Power Volume 3 (October 1998)
Pokémon Power Volume 4 (November 1998)
Pokémon Power Volume 5 (December 1998)
Pokémon Power Volume 6 (January 1999)
Winning Tips for Sonic the Hedgehog (1994)
Star Wars Episode I - Racer Strategy Guide
Super Power Supplies (Spring 1998)
Super Power Supplies (Summer 1998)
The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time Official Strategy Guide
Games TM Issue 95 (April 2010)
Tips & Tricks Video Game Codebook Volume 17 Issue 1 (February 2010)
Tips & Tricks Video Game Codebook Volume 17 Issue 3 (May 2010)
Tips & Tricks Video Game Codebook Volume 17 Issue 4 (June 2010) (Full Size)
Tips & Tricks Video Game Codebook Volume 17 Issue 7 (October 2010)
Winning Tips for Sega Genesis (1993)

Almost all of the above have been edited and are waiting to be released. The following have just been scanned and are in my editing queue:

Dengeki Playstation Issue 181 (July 13, 2001)
Dengeki Playstation Issue 162 (December 8, 2000)
Dengeki Playstation Issue 175 (April 27, 2001)
Dengeki Playstation Issue 180 (June 22, 2001)

PlayStation Solutions Issue 04 (January 1997)
PlayStation Game Secrets - The Unauthorized Edition Volume 1 (1996)
PlayStation Pro Issue 16 (January 1998)

1080 Snowboarding: Prima's Unauthorized Game Secrets
Battle Arena Toshinden: The Unauthorized Edition
Body Harvest: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
Bomberman World: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
Buck Bumble: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
Centipede: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
Consumer Guide More Strategies for Nintendo Games
Crash Bandicoot: The Official Strategy Guide
Dark Rift: Official Secrets & Solutions
Game Players Encyclopedia of Nintendo Games Volume 7
Gamefan Books Darkstalkers Jedah's Damnation Strategy Guide
Gamefan Books Street Fighter III: Official Strategy Guide
Gamefan's Official Darkstalkers Strategy Guide
GamePro Mortal Kombat Stra`tegy Guide
GamePro Super Street Fighter II: Official Strategy Guide
GamePro Ultimate PlayStation Cheats!
GoldenEye Official Nintendo Player's Guide
Hybrid Heaven: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
Jade Cocoon: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
Kagero: Deception II: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
Killer Instinct Nintendo Player's Guide
Max Payne: Official Strategy Guide
Mission: Impossible: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
Mission: Impossible: The Official Strategy Guide
NFL GameDat 99 Preview Guide
Nightmare Creatures: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
Ninja Shadow of Darkness: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
Nintendo Super NES Player's Guide
O.D.T: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
Official Battle Arena Toshinden 2 Fighter's Guide
Prima's Beyond the Beyond Unauthorized Game Secrets
Prima's Blast Corps Unauthorized Game Secrets
Prima's GoldenEye 007 Unauthorized Game Secrets
Prima's Secrets of the Games: PlayStation The Unauthorized Edition Volume 1
Prima's Unauthorized Guide to Resident Evil Director's Cut
Quake Authorized Strategy Guide
Quake for Nintendo 64: Prima's Unauthorized Game Secrets
Red Faction: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
Resident Evil: Official Strategy Guide
Secret of Mana: Official Game Secrets
Silent Scope: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
Smuggler's Run: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
Space Station Silicon Valley: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
Star Wars Star Fighter: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
Street Fighter Alpha Strategy Guide
Syphon Filter Totally Unauthorized Strategy Guide
Syphon Filter: The Official Strategy Guide
The Bouncer: Official Strategy Guide
The Fifth Element: The Official Strategy Guide
The Grandstream Saga: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
The Official Nintendo Player's Guide
Totally Unauthorized GoldenEye 007 Strategy Guide
Totally Unauthorized Killer Instinct
Totally Unauthorized PlayStaion Games Book Volume 2
Unreal Tournament: Official Strategy Guide
WCW vs. now World Tour: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
X Squad: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
Zone of Enders: Official Strategy Guide

If my math is right, that brings my scan total up to 548.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm totally confused by the multiple and different E-Day's WIP threads.  I think the problem is that there are SO MANY different mags which are "in progress" and have been and will be for months.  When someone's WIP amounts to "Here is the magazine I'm currently working on," it's easy to keep straight.  But when it's "here is a list of 153 mags which have already been debound but not yet scanned, here are 83 mags which have been scanned and are awaiting editing, and here are the 172 mags which are already completely finished and will be released one at a time over the upcoming year" it becomes crazy hard to keep track of it all...😅

• Retromags Curator

I know, but I don't know how else to track it! I don't want to work on one issue at a time since it would take longer overall to get them done. Apart from marking everything I have as "Scanning" in the database and threads like this or the general thread for everybody, we don't have an easy way to know who is working on what.

• Like 1

I think the thing that has caused the most problems so far isn't so much the stuff you're working on, it's the stuff that you've already finished, but haven't released.  There's so much of it, I think even you lose track of it (everyone else hasn't got a chance).  As I mentioned before, I nearly scanned a mag which isn't on either of your lists, but knowing that every single time anyone has tried to scan an American mag over the past 6 months, it's turned out that you already scanned it, I did a more thorough search of the forums and found a post where someone asked if they could edit that file (it wasn't on your lists, but it had apparently been uploaded to the QNAP.)  You told them not to bother, since you'd already completely finished editing it.  That was 4 months ago, and the issue still hasn't been released.

Btw what a bizarre problem to have...an embarrassment of riches...

Hopefully the QNAP gets restored so we can at least start moving forward again. 

• Retromags Curator

It's a unique problem that we haven't ever had in the past. I guess in a way it's a good problem to have, but at the same time it would be nice to have a way to avoid it.

A lot of what I have done would already be out if there wasn't a break in January and a chunk of this month while I waited for Phillyman to sort out the torrents. He started, but it never got finished. Once the QNAP is up (hopefully this week) I'll be releasing things daily again, maybe even two at once if they are rescans. I want to get this stuff out the door.

Part of the problem is wanting to release things consistently, so in order to not have to rush or have nothing ready, I like to have  large batch of scans done and ready to go. That way if I don't feel like editing anything for a week (or can't), it won't be a problem because I have stuff to cover that time.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Retromags Curator

As all the strategy guides are edited and are currently being released, I have taken an editing break and am doing some manual scanning. There are still some items with @Crimsonfox and @jonphilmitch waiting to be edited (though during the pandemic there are much more important priorities for people so those might be a while).

These manual scan will include several updated scans for VG&CE as some scans are 12 years old. Scanning all of these has reminded me how much scanning manually sucks.

Beyond Gaming Issue 04 (October 1991)
EGM 1993 Video Game Preview Guide
EGM CES 1994 Video Game Preview Guide
EGM2 Official Fighter's Guide 1995
EGM's Guide to Role-Playing Adventure Games
EGM's Video Game Accessory Guide
Grey Matters Volume 3
Inside EASN Volume 1 Issue 1 (1992)
Inside EASN Volume 1 Issue 2 (1992)
Inside EA Sports Volume 2 Issue 1 (1993)
Masters of the Game
NewType Gaming Volume 2 Number 2
Nintendo Sticker Activity Album
Sony Imagesoft
Super NES Buyer's Guide Issue 04 (September 1992)
Team EGM
Tips & Tricks Issue 026 (April 1997)
Tips & Tricks Issue 027 (May 1997)
Tips & Tricks Issue 028 (June 1997)
Tips & Tricks Issue 029 (July 1997)
Tips & Tricks Issue 030 (August 1997)
Tips & Tricks Issue 031 (September 1997)
Tips & Tricks Issue 032 (October 1997)
Tips & Tricks Issue 033 (November 1997)
Tips & Tricks Issue 034 (December 1997)
Tips & Tricks Issue 035 (January 1998)
Tips & Tricks Issue 036 (February 1998)
TurboPlay Issue 01 (June-July 1990)
TurboPlay Issue 14 (August-September 1992)
Video Games & Computer Entertainment Issue 03 (April 1989)
Video Games & Computer Entertainment Issue 08 (September 1989)
Video Games & Computer Entertainment Issue 09 (October 1989)
Video Games & Computer Entertainment Issue 10 (November 1989)
Video Games & Computer Entertainment Issue 11 (December 1989)
Video Games & Computer Entertainment Issue 12 (January 1990)
Video Games & Computer Entertainment Issue 13 (February 1990)
Video Games & Computer Entertainment Issue 16 (May 1990)
Video Games & Computer Entertainment Issue 17 (June 1990)
Video Games & Computer Entertainment Issue 19 (August 1990)
Video Games & Computer Entertainment Issue 20 (September 1990)
Video Games & Computer Entertainment Issue 25 (February 1991)
Video Games & Computer Entertainment Issue 26 (March 1991)
Video Games & Computer Entertainment Issue 34 (November 1991)

Scan count: 593

After that will be a bunch of PSExtreme, Tips & Tricks, and three early 90s GamePro rescans.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Retromags Curator
13 hours ago, jonphilmitch said:

I've been pretty impressed to see all those guide posted. So many pages! I know they are a lot of work.

It's all a lot of work 😁. At least those got auto scanned, and editing wasn't too bad. I was able to edit about two per day. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2020 at 9:43 AM, jonphilmitch said:

I've been pretty impressed to see all those guide posted. So many pages! I know they are a lot of work.

E-Day's been living the easy life, scanning puny English guides.😉 I noticed a 3rd grader at school today reading a Pokemon guide...it was over 980 pages.

And here's a couple of guides for the new Animal Crossing game:  The one on the left (from Nintendo Dream) is 1,216 pages and the one on the right (From Dengeki) is 976 pages.  Both of these retail for around $15, by the way.  They'd probably cost $50 if published in the US.

EYnPiqbUEAEhWb2.jpg

• Haha 1

• Retromags Curator

I don't deny this. I like magazines that are 100 pages or less since they are quicker to process. I can't imagine how big either of those guides would be as a CBZ file, or how many days it would take to edit one of them!

1 hour ago, E-Day said:

I don't deny this. I like magazines that are 100 pages or less since they are quicker to process. I can't imagine how big either of those guides would be as a CBZ file, or how many days it would take to edit one of them!

When a book is over 1000 pages, who in their right mind would want to read a digital copy, anyway?  Flipping through that many pages quickly to find something specific is far easier done with a book than with a digital copy.  There's probably an index in the back to make it even easier.

Personally, I think strategy guides, even thin ones, are FAR better to own in print form.  If I have a question about what to do in a game and I'm on my computer, I can get better information from a FAQ or youtube walkthrough faster than finding it in a strategy guide, whether real or digital.   But if I was AWAY from my computer, playing the game on my couch or whatever, then I could have a print guide open in my lap if need be.  So that's where a strategy guide's value is, in my opinion.  Magazines are for reading, so that can be done anywhere, making digital just as good as print.  But strategy guides are just better on paper.

Imagine needing to find a definition of a word.  Connected to the internet?  A super-fast search finds the answer.  Offline?  A real dictionary will be infinitely faster than a digital dictionary on CBR or even searchable PDF.  Things meant to be read in order are fine as digital copies.  Reference works meant to be flipped through out of order are best in physical format.

EDIT for clarification: I don't mean to sound like I'm criticizing anyone for scanning strategy guides.  Digital is better than nothing if the print guide is no longer available to purchase.

• Like 1