Retro Gaming Purchases!

Phillyman

• 1 month later...

My last two purchases: Dino Crisis I & II, Nightmare Creatures I & II, Colony Wars, Future Cop: LAPD, Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown, Star Wars: Rebel Assault II, and Star Wars: Jedi Power Battles, all for the PSX. Five bucks each, CIB, practically brand new.

• 8 months later...

Just found locally and got a new-to-me old console from 1982, the Vectrex (in the original box).

http://www.vectrexmuseum.com/

I also got a number of games thanks to the store's Buy 3 get 1 Free sale, including a handful in the original boxes. Most of them were around $20, but Pole Position (in a like-new box) set me back about $80.

• 4 weeks later...

w00t

I'm excited because I just got a couple good Vextrex related deals on eBay.

Berzerk w/ box, manual, overlay can sometimes go for over $100. Got it for less than $50.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170752019739

Second controller (pretty rare due to system's short commercial life) sometimes costs over $200. Got one for just over $100 due to stumbling across a last minute snipe opportunity.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260935204191

• 1 month later...

Purchased a color gameboy from a thrift shop in charlotte ,NC in very good condition. 10 bucks, no scratches or dings. I stopped looking at ebay unless I'm looking for brand new unused merch. Ebay is a scam these days when it comes to retro gaming. Thrift shops are the way to go.

Purchased a color gameboy from a thrift shop in charlotte ,NC in very good condition. 10 bucks, no scratches or dings. I stopped looking at ebay unless I'm looking for brand new unused merch. Ebay is a scam these days when it comes to retro gaming. Thrift shops are the way to go.

It can be hard to find stuff locally though. Also, more and more shops know enough to check eBay nowadays before pricing something. That's the way it is around here anyway.

• 1 month later...

I was considering getting some classic SNES cartridges recently, but didn't end up jumping. it DID inspire me to get out the SNES and hook it up and spend some time with A Link To The Past, though. I was finding that SNES cartridges seem to be going up in price these days, when about 5 years ago or so I could find many of them very very cheap. Nowadays it seems most of them are in the 10 dollar range. Even games that weren't exactly uncommon. Here's a collage of some of my classic goods.

qy7ojl.jpg

23m0mjs.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just the other day got myself a 3DO system- the FZ-1 model. I've owned for quite some time the slim down FZ-10 version, but I've always wanted to own the original Panasonic model.

So I got the system together with a few games incl Road Rash. This is probably the best version of the game on any system.

Man, you guys make me look and feel horrible. All I've bought thus far is an N64 controller and a couple GCN games. I use PJ64, so I went ahead and bought a classic grey N64 controller (used) and a USB adapter. I feel oh so inadequate. One of these days I'm going to purchase another N64 and get my hands on a Dreamcast. One of my buddies has one, now that I think about. I don't think he'll mind me taking it off my hands. I've gotta have something just in case my PS3 dies on me. It's been shutting off enough recently.

So over the weekend I had the good fortune to find, in one of our local auction sites, a great condition boxed Atari 2600.

Now normally this wouldn't be too big of a deal but this 2600 is one of the batch of original systems that were produced for only one year back in '77. In other words it's the original "Heavy Sixer" model with the heavy RF shielding and the "manufactured in Sunnyvale California" tag on the underside.

It's not to be confused with the later and more common six switch CX2600 which was made in Hong Kong.

So pretty chuffed that I was able to find one with the system and box and all paperwork in great condition. The original 2600 joysticks were also complete in box as well as a couple of paddle controllers and 5 games.

The best part about it was the price. Obviously the seller didn't know it's value otherwise I wouldn't have gotten it for just over 150 ZAR incl the shipping cost. Converted in US dollars that would come to about $18.

Not bad for a complete unit that routinely fetches well into the $100's on evilbay.

Last week I got these 4:

g06213yhhz9.jpg

I didn't realize at the time this is the hardest game known to man. Still love it, so atmospheric!

a2c358552c760ac807f3992a53563440-Bio_Hazard_Battle.jpg

I missed the chance a couple years ago to scoop Bio-Hazard Battle, but I finally got my hands on it and it's a crazy good shooter.

256px-Abe%27s_Oddysee_Cover.jpg

I was having Abe withdrawls so I jumped at the chance at this classic! Gimme them Mudokons, gotta save 'em all!

21HF261K7GL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This one just kinda found me. Being the sucker I am for PS1 longboxes I had to own it without any knowledge of it. Turns out to be a pretty sick point and click horror game!

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up Crash Bandicoot, Wild 9 and Wu-Tang: Shaolin Style at an independent little game shop. I lost my original Crash Bandicoot game and case, so I wanted it again. I remember playing a lot of Wild 9 back in the day, but in retrospect, it's not as great as I remember. I don't know what it is. As far as Wu-Tang is concerned, it was more of an ironic purchase than anything else, you know, like when you intentionally buy a bad movie because it's funny in a dumb way or whatnot. Yeah, that game's not so great, but I dig the three exclusive tracks. Some of the "fatalities" are hilarious.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Didn't buy these since I already have one or more, but here's some interesting ended Vectrex listings:

Typically goes for over $1000, so someone got a slight deal here:

Ebay Item #251107730805

Probably helped that this (incomplete) set was listed at around the same time - it's usually rare enough to find one up for sale:

Ebay Item #271013998755

Then there's extra joyticks that normally go for over $100 due to the low number produced. These actually went for much less, again likely due to very rare concurrent sales...

Ebay Item #221068672294

Ebay Item #261067201024

I already have the carrying case but not the dust cover. Wonder if they'd be willing to just sell that separately:

Ebay Item #261066737111

Anyone wanting to jump in with both feet (and an arm and a leg, etc) into retro collecting? Check out this $12,000 sale! :o

Ebay Item #320937098122

• Retromags Curator

3n2ym3, that Silverload is gold as far as I'm concerned. One of the few adventure-style games produced for the PS1 with a horror theme that wasn't explicitly survival horror (though the voice acting is nearly as cheesy). Great, great find! :)

*huggles*

Areala

• 2 weeks later...