Egm Issue 001 Has Been Released!

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

Retromags Proudly Presents....

Electronic Gaming Monthly Issue 001 (May 1989)

EGMIssue001.jpg

This issue was incredibly hard to come by on Ebay, I believe in the past 3 years of running Retromags, I have maybe only ever seen it listed 3-4 times. I hope you guys enjoy this release! A big thanks goes out to Meppi for sacrificing his Mario Kart play time to clean up the scans of this issue. I would also like to thank everyone who donates to this site, those donations help us acquire these rare gems for preservation. As this issue is now scanned, I have re listed it on Ebay for selling. We will be taking the money won from selling this issue to acquire more missing EGM issues.

I would like to take this opportunity to also let everyone know that we are working hard on getting a full set of the first 10 years of EGM released. As such we will need quite a crew of dedicated people to help fix up these scans. So anyone with photoediting experience is in high demand on the Retromags website. Please contact me if you can help out in any way.

Rapidshare Link: EGM Issue 001 (CBZ)

Rapidshare Link: EGM Issue 001 (PDF)

EBay Link: Buy EGM Issue 001!

Digg This Release: Click Here!

EGM 1 wiki link: Click Here!

• Retromags Curator

Does this belong in Emulation News?

Sadly, because your auto doc feeder likes to scan stuff crooked (sometimes VERY crooked), I don't have the time to edit stuff. If everything was straight and only required cropping, then that would be different since cropping takes mere seconds per image for me. If someone wins the lottery for me, I'd gladly retire from work and edit things all day instead :)

• Retromags Curator
Does this belong in Emulation News?

Sadly, because your auto doc feeder likes to scan stuff crooked (sometimes VERY crooked), I don't have the time to edit stuff. If everything was straight and only required cropping, then that would be different since cropping takes mere seconds per image for me. If someone wins the lottery for me, I'd gladly retire from work and edit things all day instead :)

1) Emulation News is the only section that exports news to the front page, Maybe I should just rename that section Front Page News?

2) Yes I know sometimes I get crooked scans, but the early issues of EGM are not being cut apart, they are being manually scanned. I believe 001-025 are all going to be manual scans.

3) If I hit the lottery I will definitely get you a scanner :)

• Retromags Curator

Hey now, ho now...

1) That would be a good title change

2) I can help edit manual scans since they are less time consuming than the ADF scans.

3) A scanner and retirement money for me would help this site out ;)

Hey now, ho now...as I was reading through Issue 1, near the back on the Game Over page, they stated that the 3rd issue of EGM would be on sale April 1989, which makes this issue #2 according to them. Their 1989 Buyer's Guide from February 1989 was issue 1 in their eyes. Magweasel's numbering may be kooky (did EGM release that Top Scores issue as issue 7? It looks like a special).

Anyhow, it doesn't really matter. It's just a curiousity :)

Hey now, ho now...as I was reading through Issue 1, near the back on the Game Over page, they stated that the 3rd issue of EGM would be on sale April 1989, which makes this issue #2 according to them. Their 1989 Buyer's Guide from February 1989 was issue 1 in their eyes. Magweasel's numbering may be kooky (did EGM release that Top Scores issue as issue 7? It looks like a special).

Anyhow, it doesn't really matter. It's just a curiousity :)

Yeah, it's a bit strange, but it does seem to be correct.

Looks like when they were writing the first issue of EGM (this one), they counted the 1989 Buyers Guide as issue 1, but quickly thereafter changed their mind and started counting from this one, so I would consider the 1989 Buyers Guide Issue 000.

Issue 7 is indeed the Top Score issue, which in fact was the 2nd issue of Top Score, which wasn't counted in the EGM lineup. Very confusing...

And the 1990 Buyers guide is issue 7.

I've got 2 parts of the 3 part 100th anniversary poster here (missing the center part), and this does confirm the numbering.

What it also does is create a bit more confusion by labeling issue 3 as the August issue instead of September, issue 4 as September instead of November and so on, which is very strange as the date on the front of the magazine makes it seem like the magazine should be displayed for 3 months then, which certainly can't be right.

The weird part is that by the time we get to issue 15 on the 3rd part of the poster the months do line up again.

So if anyone has the middle part and could do a quick scan of it, that might clear some things up.

Until proved otherwise, I would certainly go with Magweasels, and therefor also our Wiki. ;)

I also believe that the "on sale April 1989" part was probably written months in advance before the magazine got released. Especially since this issue is already the May issue.

• Retromags Curator

I guess the confusion could be expected since it was a new magazine for a topic that really didn't have that kind of magazine until 1989. Each issue could have been displayed for three months if their intent was to be quarterly, but that goes against the title "Electronic Gaming Monthly". I know Hardcore Gamer Magazine just started going quarterly, so it's not impossible even if it is very odd :)

• Retromags Curator

GamePro started out bi-monthly as well. They both started at almost the same time. I don`t think there were any other magazines dedicated to video games alone at that time, so maybe they both went bi-monthly at first to see how their magazines would sell. I have no clue. The only ones who would know would be the original editors :P

• Retromags Curator
Crazy.. makes me wish I had bought a the whole magazine rack lot back in the day! Unfortunately I only bought one :rolleyes:

Yea but I only bought this issue for $32......the only reason its up to $200 is because of how much exposure it got because of Kotaku. 5000+ people saw that and all it takes is 2 people that really want it .....to get it up to that price

I should be able to buy lots of magazines if that 0 feedbacker pays

• Retromags Curator
Wow, the auction is up to $200 with 2 days 8 hrs left to go! :blink:

Its back down to $113....

Something about that bidder left a bad feeling with me. He has 0 feedback and has had the account for almost 2 years now. But now he is going crazy bidding on my auction?? I just felt like he might be a fake bidder, plus he is in Puerto Rico and in my auction I stated I only shipped within the 48 Cont States

Hi,

I'm the Ebay bidder from P.R. (the non-continental/colonial state). Sorry for causing you such a "bad feeling" because of my bid. I already left you a message on the auction site, but figured out that I should reach you personally (just in case).

I'm still very much interested in the mag. Please contact me.

Hoping for the best.

Cheers,

Sam

Its back down to $113....

Something about that bidder left a bad feeling with me. He has 0 feedback and has had the account for almost 2 years now. But now he is going crazy bidding on my auction?? I just felt like he might be a fake bidder, plus he is in Puerto Rico and in my auction I stated I only shipped within the 48 Cont States