I Want To Contribute Scans To This Site

Mek1

Hello. I noticed your site today and am very interested in contributing. I am experienced at scanning and would like you to tell me which of the following magazines I should scan. My magazines are mostly from the early to mid 1990s and cover the 16-bit era heavily. Some of these magazines may miss some pagess but most should be complete. Also, I plan to take the magazines apart to generate high-quality scans.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished two scans.

GamePro_Issue037_September_1992.rar

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QUEK1PAN

Nintendo_Power_005_-_1989_Mar-Apr.rar

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KOFOR39L

Please note that these old magazines are not in mint condition. The nintendo power suffers from damage especially on the covers and suffered water damage throughout. It's hard to notice though in the final product. An advertisment-like part near the end of the magazine has some defacement. I think this isn't a big problem since it's probably the least important page in the entire magazine. And the strider poster/ Adventure Island level 1 map has some rips in it. Four pages in the middle of the Gamepro have heavy wrinkles and folding since I had removed those pages years ago when I received the magazine in 1992. Also, one picture from a turbo grafx 16 ad was cut out and so two pages are affected.

Note that the Game Pro magazine is printed with slightly non-rectangular pages. I guess it was cut a bit sloppily. So there is gapping on the sides of the scans. I could have cropped it off to make it look better but I'd rather show more than less of the page.

Tell me if you notice other problems.

Edited by mek1

I finished two scans.

GamePro_Issue037_September_1992.rar

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QUEK1PAN

Nintendo_Power_005_-_1989_Mar-Apr.rar

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KOFOR39L

Thanks for contributing. We've had the first few years of Nintendo Power completed for quite a while now but I'm fairly certain that no one has scanned that issue of GamePro yet.

I'm only missing a handful of EGM issues. I can scan and contribute, but I've never scanned a magazine before. Only used a scanner twice...

I've also got a boat-load of Nintendo Powers. I have a bunch of Wizard issues as well, but they only had a 1 or 2 page game section.

Great job on NP #5. That was one issue which really needed a better scan. That ad was reused in a couple other issues, so I can replace it from there. I'll give it a final clean up, join the pages and maybe rescan just the poster (which I still have) and upload it to this site.

Great job on NP #5. That was one issue which really needed a better scan. That ad was reused in a couple other issues, so I can replace it from there. I'll give it a final clean up, join the pages and maybe rescan just the poster (which I still have) and upload it to this site.

Noooo, please no... :o

I'm starting to get the impression that some of the members of this site PREFER unedited, crooked issues.....

That's not it at all. That's why I highlighted the red part.

There's no reason whatsoever to do this as explained before. Every program has the possibility to put 2 pages side by side if anyone prefers them that way.

Why go as far as to make certain scans pretty much useless to many members when all this can simply be avoided?

Except I'm not making them useless, I'm making them MORE readable. Side-by-side programs only work if the pages are the same dimensions and are already lined up, which never happens from initial scanning. And these programs have no idea which pages are supposed to be lined up and which aren't (which comes into play when you get to the poster, supplements, etc). On Nintendo Power issue 5, which I'm working on editing as we speak, many pages have boxes of text that span across two pages. How do you expect to read those if you have to keep flipping between pages? Nintendo Power has always layed out their issues this way, and part of the process of preserving these issues is keeping their format in the correct order and presentation. If you have such an issue with this, don't download the stuff I work on.

• Retromags Curator
On Nintendo Power issue 5, which I'm working on editing as we speak, many pages have boxes of text that span across two pages. How do you expect to read those if you have to keep flipping between pages?

Easy. Unless you have severe ADD and forget what you are doing, anyone can follow what they are reading even if they have to flip back and forth for a little text box.

This issue of joining pages should be voted on by members, and members don't want joined pages, then so be it. If pages are going to be joined, then a version should also be made available with the pages not joined.

Explain why it is BETTER to flip back and forth between pages than to be able to view the entire layout at once? I'm not doing two releases of each magazine, just to please a couple picky people. My Nintendo Power releases get joined, most other magazines that don't do two page spreads don't. If some of the other members don't like it (and I've yet to hear one valid reason why this is such a problem), they don't have to download the stuff I work on. Everybody who I've personally talked to about this prefers the pages being joined, as long as it isn't a half-assed job that makes them worse.

• Retromags Curator

Because if the pages aren't joined, you don't have to run the reader maximized. Not to mention that you don't have to scroll side to side to see everything. With single pages, you can zoom in enough to read the text clearly without having to scroll left and right.

Thankfully, I don't read or download the Nintendo Power magazines, so I don't have to deal with joined pages. And any other issues that have them can be easily separated in Photoshop.

Do you use CDisplay to read your issues? It handles zooming for single and joined pages just fine.

It's actually LESS effort to press the left and right keys to scroll a page than it is to jump back and forth between two pages that have separated text or images, so I don't get your logic.

Anyway, to get back on topic, thanks again mek1 for rescanning issue 5. I did some work with that scan and our older scan to get the issue in tip-top shape, and uploaded it to the site. Those of you who seem to have a problem with the way I edit the Nintendo Powers don't have to download it - mek1's original scan has a link higher up in this thread, so enjoy it as it is, or edit it yourself.

If you have such an issue with this, don't download the stuff I work on.

WTF?

Well fine, I won't. Geesh. Just don't screw up anyone else's scans then. :rolleyes:

Mek1's scans were perfectly fine as a raw release until you needed to mess them up with this joining BS again, not to mention scaling them down from a DPI of 250 to 72! <_< I mean, who the hell does that? And better yet, why would anyone want to do that as it doesn't do anything to reduce the size of the scans or make them look better.

Don't get me wrong, your editing is top notch, but for some reason you always have to have it your way even though you're wrong.

Not that you care about anything anyone says or anything, but both kbf_private_joker and modgeezer brought up the program ComicRack, which does know the difference between a cover and the rest of the pages. So all those stupid arguments about joining regular pages simply don't make sense.

Anyway, I'm tired of arguing with you. I could just as well run my head into a brick wall and it would accomplish just as much.

You seem to have a very disruptive personality ever since you popped back into the forum, and I for one don't care much for it.

If I could I would simply put you on ignore, but due to being a moderator, I can't. Sucks to be me I guess.

• Retromags Curator
Do you use CDisplay to read your issues? It handles zooming for single and joined pages just fine.

It's actually LESS effort to press the left and right keys to scroll a page than it is to jump back and forth between two pages that have separated text or images, so I don't get your logic.

Anyway, to get back on topic, thanks again mek1 for rescanning issue 5. I did some work with that scan and our older scan to get the issue in tip-top shape, and uploaded it to the site. Those of you who seem to have a problem with the way I edit the Nintendo Powers don't have to download it - mek1's original scan has a link higher up in this thread, so enjoy it as it is, or edit it yourself.

Fusoya, I tried letting others hash this out with you before putting in my word.....

I see no reason that after a magazine has been scanned, that you or that scanner cant pass the files off to myself or Meppi for a regular release. If you want to join the pages on your scans.....then that is your right....but dont impose such measures on new members trying to help out. It would be like me taking Mek1's scans and creating a optimized PDF file and releasing it.....no one wants that....and no one really likes the joined pages. Also what was the purpose of not including the Thank You page at the end of Mek1's release?

I am trying to get along with you Fusoya....but your really starting to irritate myself and other members on this board!

You apparently didn't even look at mek1's scans. They were already at 72 in his release. I have NEVER resized anybody else's scans to make the quality worse.

I upload some of the stuff that I work on (both my scans and other people's) as a courtesy to the other working members of the site. I also don't upload anything until I feel like it is in a totally edited, completed state, which is more than I can say for most of the stuff that gets uploaded here, which looks like it gets online the moment your auto-scanner is finished. In the case of NP#5, I specifically asked mek1 if he could scan that issue, as our old version really needed replacing. However, if all my uploads are going to bring me is grief, then I'm not going to upload anything else. I have filled in some of the specific gaps that were asked for, so theoretically I should still have an account here even if I don't upload anything else. If I'm just pissing off the board, I'll stop posting here too. My goal has ALWAYS been to get a complete set of Nintendo Power scans. I have the resources and the team (most of whom never even come to this site anymore) to get this accomplished without retromags, but I thought we could at least TRY to work as a team again, seeing as I haven't seen anyone else working on Nintendo Power in the last couple months on here. Guess not.

And as far as the joining pages thing...anybody who actually READS Nintendo Power's strategy reviews should understand why it's better to have them joined. The only reasons I've heard against it seem to be from people who don't know how to use CDisplay.

I didn't include the thank you page because I was only uploading it to this site, which has RETROMAGS.COM in the title. If I was putting it up anywhere else on behalf of retromags, I would have. I can't speak for mek1's release because I had nothing directly to do with it, other than asking him if he could scan his copy of the magazine.

• Retromags Curator
You apparently didn't even look at mek1's scans. They were already at 72 in his release. I have NEVER resized anybody else's scans to make the quality worse.

I upload some of the stuff that I work on (both my scans and other people's) as a courtesy to the other working members of the site. I also don't upload anything until I feel like it is in a totally edited, completed state, which is more than I can say for most of the stuff that gets uploaded here, which looks like it gets online the moment your auto-scanner is finished. In the case of NP#5, I specifically asked mek1 if he could scan that issue, as our old version really needed replacing. However, if all my uploads are going to bring me is grief, then I'm not going to upload anything else. I have filled in some of the specific gaps that were asked for, so theoretically I should still have an account here even if I don't upload anything else. If I'm just pissing off the board, I'll stop posting here too. My goal has ALWAYS been to get a complete set of Nintendo Power scans. I have the resources and the team (most of whom never even come to this site anymore) to get this accomplished without retromags, but I thought we could at least TRY to work as a team again, seeing as I haven't seen anyone else working on Nintendo Power in the last couple months on here. Guess not.

And as far as the joining pages thing...anybody who actually READS Nintendo Power's strategy reviews should understand why it's better to have them joined. The only reasons I've heard against it seem to be from people who don't know how to use CDisplay.

I didn't include the thank you page because I was only uploading it to this site, which has RETROMAGS.COM in the title. If I was putting it up anywhere else on behalf of retromags, I would have. I can't speak for mek1's release because I had nothing directly to do with it, other than asking him if he could scan his copy of the magazine.

As far as my raw releases are concerned, That is the entire point behind the "R" they are raw right off the scanner....not all clean and pretty. Now anyone who complains about them is more then welcome to clean them up.....but seeing as no one is stepping forward to do so....then I will not listen to complaints about them. The entire reason behind releasing the magazines out like that was to grab the attention of people to this site. Now I have scanned 100 magazines and at roughly 120 pages per magazine, thats 12,000 pages to edit. Do you honestly think that I can .....

Promote this site

Help new members get started

Index the Contents on the Wiki

Make note of all pages without numbers

Debind the Issues

Feed them through my ADF

Figure out what pages misfed and rescan them

Figure out what pages went through crooked and rescan them

Go through and edit 100+ pages

Compile the pages into a .CBZ file

Compile the pages into a .PDF file

Upload the releases to Mininova

Upload the releases to Under-Ground Gamer

Upload the releases to Demonoid

Rinse and Repeat...

No thats why you see me asking for help at times, So yes I am scanning 150 magazines....then I am going to take a break from scanning and go back and rescan the pages that cant be fixed up.....then I will release out a FINAL magazine and throw out the loose pages. Even if only 10% of each magazine needs to be rescanned....thats 90% I did not have to scan manually!

Look Fusoya....no matter what you think of me....I am not out to ban you or use you. I welcome everyones help....but on the joined pages....why is it so hard to give the scans to Meppi or myself before the joining takes place? I dont care if you want to release a joined copy.....but give the users of this site the ability to choose what version they want.

The why do I get a resolution of 250 on his scans while yours show up as 72?

but I thought we could at least TRY to work as a team again, seeing as I haven't seen anyone else working on Nintendo Power in the last couple months on here. Guess not.

Strange you're suddenly the team player and we are not, while not so long ago you're the one stating that you'll listen to noone and do whatever you feel like.

I also don't upload anything until I feel like it is in a totally edited, completed state, which is more than I can say for most of the stuff that gets uploaded here, which looks like it gets online the moment your auto-scanner is finished.

Again with the condescending personal shit. I'm getting very tired of this.

You presume that the only ones who have problems with the way you're doing things are people who don't even read the magazines they download.

As I've said several times before, that's not even the point.

Stop thinking your better and smarter than anyone on here, because it's getting annoying very quick.

It's only natural that mek1's release didn't have such a page, simply because he was just trying to get a feel of how good the scans were.

That being said, it doesn't matter where the mags are being uploaded to. These releases travel much further than just this site and you know it.

this argument has come up before and again the response was pretty much "I'll do with my scans whatever I want, I don't need you guys so screw you"

I think I'm just not gonna bother anymore... <_<

What program is showing mek1's scans as 250? I put everything together in photoshop and they were 72 coming in and 72 going out. I did absolutely no resizing (aside from doubling the canvas space to fit the second page on, and in some cases stretching one of the two pages just a bit to make them line up properly).

Some of these issues I still have the unjoined pages, and you're welcome to have them if you want, but since I usually edit and join at the same time, they're probably in a raw state.

And Phillyman - I wasn't trying to attack you or criticize your raw releases. My point was just that I take great care in the issues I work on, and I'm not out to funk anything up (and I honestly have no idea why mek1's scans are showing up as 250dpi on meppi's computer, and 72 on mine). I really hope somebody can step up and help you with those EGMs. I might have even lended a hand myself, except that Nintendo Power is my pet project, and I have probably another year of work left before THAT gets finished.