I Want To Contribute Scans To This Site

Mek1

Using Photoshop CS3 with the raw files I'm seeing mostly 72dpi with a few 300dpi mixed in ie the covers and a few other pages

Very strange indeed.

In Photostudio I'm seeing the raw ones as 250, except for the cover which is 300.

But in Irfanview I don't get any data at all. Except for the cover which once again is in 300DPI.

And for the joined versions I get everything from 150 for the cover to 300 in some rare occasions and 72 for the other pages in both programs.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except I'm not making them useless, I'm making them MORE readable. Side-by-side programs only work if the pages are the same dimensions and are already lined up, which never happens from initial scanning.

I do agree with you that having the pages line up is important. However, there are ways to do this without having the pages joined. When I do my scans, I scan the entire scanner window for both pages. I then straighten, then line up pages the pages. At that point I crop using the same dimensions for each side. This allows for things to line up AND the pages are the same size. I know not all people like to do it this way, but I didn't like some of my first scans because of this very reason. The ads especially look way cool if lined up nicely. This is a personal preference for me and I also do not mind if not everyone shares my pickiness :)

All I am saying is that this is possible with a little extra time and effort. Photoshop makes the job of scanning and editing very pleasant.

Can anyone recommend a good Photoshop book to read? I wanna get my edumacation on! :P

Not sure you need a book since there are so many thousands of sites devoted to PS tricks and learning. The way I learned how to do stuff was just diving in. The concept of actions, or macros, is way cool and can really speed up the editing process. I also like that I can scan and then immediately edit the image in a raw format, meaning the only compression is for the final crop and resize.

I also like that I can scan and then immediately edit the image in a raw format, meaning the only compression is for the final crop and resize.

Don't most programs use this method?

I've noticed that the one I'm using is a bit of a Photoshop Lite clone for lack of better wording, so that might be why it saves scanned images as PSF (Photostudio File)by default.

The original files are pretty huge when compaired to the finished JPGs at the end that's for sure.

Don't most programs use this method?

I've noticed that the one I'm using is a bit of a Photoshop Lite clone for lack of better wording, so that might be why it saves scanned images as PSF (Photostudio File)by default.

The original files are pretty huge when compaired to the finished JPGs at the end that's for sure.

Correct. When I used to be strapped for space, I could only scan about 50 pages and then I would get that warning about being low on space. It also saves all versions, so if you make a change, there is a list of history files to go back to. A single raw is like the size of a TIFF, which is around 30 - 40 MB.

Correct. When I used to be strapped for space, I could only scan about 50 pages and then I would get that warning about being low on space. It also saves all versions, so if you make a change, there is a list of history files to go back to. A single raw is like the size of a TIFF, which is around 30 - 40 MB.

Ah I see.

I'm running into the same problem right now as I'm scanning a bunch of SSM one after another before starting to edit them. Luckily I have an external HDD as well. ;)

Those history files do seem very convenient. I might have seen that in GIMP as well. Not really sure.

That's actually one of the reasons I'm getting a Time Portal along with my Macbook next month.

It automatically takes backups every time a file is altered, downloaded or whatever, so that in case you lose something or accidentally damage or throw something away, you can always use the Time Machine, go into the past of the folder where the file was and restore the file in whatever version at a particular time you'd like.

Ah I see.

I'm running into the same problem right now as I'm scanning a bunch of SSM one after another before starting to edit them. Luckily I have an external HDD as well. ;)

Those history files do seem very convenient. I might have seen that in GIMP as well. Not really sure.

That's actually one of the reasons I'm getting a Time Portal along with my Macbook next month.

It automatically takes backups every time a file is altered, downloaded or whatever, so that in case you lose something or accidentally damage or throw something away, you can always use the Time Machine, go into the past of the folder where the file was and restore the file in whatever version at a particular time you'd like.

This is true, although when you close PhotoShop, unless you save it as a project, the history files are deleted. This makes sense because in most cases you would only want to save the finished files.

It is very strange to say my that one of my relased scan files has a resolution of 300 DPI while others have 72 DPI. I used a batch process to edit these magazines and for gamepro, I used it throughout the whole magazine with the same setting. For the nintendo power, I just viewed it again. The pixel dimensions of the front cover is 1311 x 1725, back cover is 1280 x 1725, and the interior pages are all 1280 x 1711. The interior pages hardly differ in size from the covers and this does not consist of a difference of 228 DPI. I used 1280 as the width after inspecting a nice scan of nintendo power on this site.

Is there a problem with the resizing of my scans? Are they too small?

I scan to tiff files so my raw files are very large. I can share these to others who want to edit my magazines but the file-size will be huge. I think it will be best if I burn them to DVDs and mail them. I'm willing to do this if someone wants but I have a condition: my scans must be edited rather quickly and released in a timely fashion (otherwise it is a waste of time for me to scan). I don't want someone sitting on my work for a long time.

The other issue regarding joining pages is very easy to resolve. In fact, I think my method already solves it. Consider my files name nintendo_power_005_-_1989_mar-apr_035.jpg, nintendo_power_005_-_1989_mar-apr_036.jpg and nintendo_power_005_-_1989_mar-apr_037.jpg. These three pages consist of a single printed page folded at two edges making three seperate pieces. I cropped the images at the folding edges to make three seperate files. Then consider file named nintendo_power_005_-_1989_mar-apr_038.jpg. This file consists of a joining of the aformentioned three files into one continuous image which is how a person viewing the magazine can see the image all in one glance. I think that having seperate file scans along with the combination of scans is the best way to handle this issue. This can work for other magazines too.

I do not mind if Fusoya replaces some of my scanned pages with superior scanned versions. I think this is better.

I am a new member that has a tonne of issues of EGM

114 Jan '99 - 123 Oct '99 + everyone inbetween

133 Aug '00 - 163 Feb '03 + everyone inbetween

Let me know if these are wanted as I have no idea what is and isn't needed!!

Also have a tonne of issues of an Aussie gaming magazine (Hyper)

Starting from 65 Apr '99 right through to the current issue

(I know you don't touch mags less then 5 yrs old but that still leaves a few yrs worth at the start of my collection!!

Edited by SHADOVV

I haven´t read all your posts yet but I want to let you know guys that I have COMPLETE collections of Club Nintendo, Atomix and EGM magazines but all of them are in spanish (From mexico NOT from Spain). I was going to scan them for myself only at the begining (because now I have about 300 issues total, not all of them meet the 5 years old requirement) but now that I know about this proyect I would like to know if you are just interested in English magazines only? Because anyway I have a bunch of different issues from GamePro, GameFan, Electronic games, EGM and EGM2 in english, maybe with that I can help you to fill in on some gaps you might have.

Ah, too bad those Club Nintendo mags are in Spanish as I'm only missing a couple from the fist 2 years more or less.

But that's just my personal preference. ;)

So yeah, we're interested in magazines from all around the world.

There are always people who will enjoy the releases.

And even for some who can't read the articles, it's always fun to check out the pretty pictures. :D

The one thing I would do is put the country in the title, like Club Nintendo Vol.2 Issue 3 - 1990 (MEXICO) for example.

• Retromags Curator

Too bad these are on RapidShare since they only let you download one file every hour and a half. Otherwise I'd grab them all and upload them to Retromags. I still will, but it will take me quite a while to do because of their limitations, and I don't want to give them any money either.

Too bad these are on RapidShare since they only let you download one file every hour and a half. Otherwise I'd grab them all and upload them to Retromags. I still will, but it will take me quite a while to do because of their limitations, and I don't want to give them any money either.

You can always grab them during happy hour. ;)

• Retromags Curator