Electronic Game Player (early Egm Sept/oct 1988) Raw Scans

room88

This is the first of my projects to get these scanned (unless someone does them before me.. which would be great. Scanning is hard work! :D )

Img_5796.jpg

I started with the Electronic Game Player (EGP) dated Sept/Oct 1988. EGP is sometimes dismissed as a "pre-EGM newsletter", rather than a part of EGM's proper timeline. But in my opinion it is early EGM through and through predating issue #1 and sharing much of the features of the 1989 Buyers Guide. Although most of the pages are in b&w, Steve Harris, Ed semrad, Donn Nauert, and all the gang are there, so is the Quarterman column, the "Direct Hit" reviews, etc. Anyway, take a look and you can be the judge.

Regarding the scans, first of all, my magazines are not mint (which will be obvious :P). There are tears and the pages are a little dingy. These are not Ebay purchases but rather I bought them all back in the day straight off the newstand, and have they've gone through my usual abuse i.e. reading them when I was younger. Also, I'm not a good scanner nor a photoshop user. I did the best I could with the gear I have, and tried to make them as straight as I could in the time I could spare. But the truth is they're all over the place. At the end of the day I figured they were a nice little part of history so until someone finds a nicer copy and does a better quality scan, they are what they are.. and they're there for all to have. :)

I purposely left them raw right out of my scanner for the express reason that someone more skilled could try and fix them up. So, if anyone wants to take them and do what needs to be done (cleaning, cropping, joining, etc.) you are absolutely welcome to as that would be awesome! :) Have at it.....

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HGCICTIJ

This is the first of my projects to get these scanned (unless someone does them before me.. which would be great. Scanning is hard work! :D )

Img_5796.jpg

I started with the Electronic Game Player (EGP) dated Sept/Oct 1988. EGP is sometimes dismissed as a "pre-EGM newsletter", rather than a part of EGM's proper timeline. But in my opinion it is early EGM through and through predating issue #1 and sharing much of the features of the 1989 Buyers Guide. Although most of the pages are in b&w, Steve Harris, Ed semrad, Donn Nauert, and all the gang are there, so is the Quarterman column, the "Direct Hit" reviews, etc. Anyway, take a look and you can be the judge.

Regarding the scans, first of all, my magazines are not mint (which will be obvious :P). There are tears and the pages are a little dingy. These are not Ebay purchases but rather I bought them all back in the day straight off the newstand, and have they've gone through my usual abuse i.e. reading them when I was younger. Also, I'm not a good scanner nor a photoshop user. I did the best I could with the gear I have, and tried to make them as straight as I could in the time I could spare. But the truth is they're all over the place. At the end of the day I figured they were a nice little part of history so until someone finds a nicer copy and does a better quality scan, they are what they are.. and they're there for all to have. :)

I purposely left them raw right out of my scanner for the express reason that someone more skilled could try and fix them up. So, if anyone wants to take them and do what needs to be done (cleaning, cropping, joining, etc.) you are absolutely welcome to as that would be awesome! :) Have at it.....

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HGCICTIJ

OMG I LOVE U ! Thank you so much for these great memory gaming mags, wow i remember these like they where yesterday. Thank you for sharing these with the rest of us. You are my hero !!!!!!

When will you offer the other 2 magazine to download ?

When? Good question :lol: That 1st one took me almost all day to scan (while I did other stuff) so it's a kind of a pain to do them. But I will do them. :P Let's just say whenever I get around to it which will be sometime in the next month or six... ;)

I can edit EGP and release it on here. It doesnt look like it needs TOO much work :)

Awesome man! :)

62% done (50 out of 80 pages). I should have the rest done tomorrow. I am going to bed now since I am not feeling well :blink:

Whoah man you're fast. Even if it took you a couple months I still think that's great :D Thanks for doing that..

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. Any ETA on the third magazine. There's a good chance that's the one I've been specifically looking for years- but I couldn't remember which issue. I used to own it and tried to keep it years after (think i still had it by 1996) but somehow it disappeared.

I remember two things about it, one of which may actually pertain to another issue. One it did comparison's of Genesis and TurboGrafx-16. I no longer remember the reason, but I remember I ended up going with a Turbo Grafx-16 thanks to that issue. The other thing is that I remember a comparison of Super Ghouls and Ghosts - pretty sure it was Genesis vs. Super nintendo , which makes me think it was a later issue. The actual reason I'm looking for is because years later after my tg-16 no longer worked, I turned to emulation, and none of the sites dedicated to listing SuperCD games showed anything that looked like what I remember- which was kind of a round creature - don't remember the color (purple?) on a carpet and a picture of a rather large, colorful boss. I Think it was advertising the SuperCD rom, but i'm not sure. Anyway-it seems this game may not have been released-at least i've never seen any pictures resembling the artwork I (vaguely) remember. I would love it if this is in fact that issue-it's one of those "did i imagine it?" questions that's been on my mind for a while. I figured i may never have the answer or have to wait until EGM releases an electronic anthology of their magazines like national geographic and other magazines do-but you've given me hope! Even if that isn't the issue- I'm a lot closer than I was before. Thanks so much. I hope you can post it soon- or even answer my question if you've actually looked through the magazine recently. Take Care

I'm new to the site BTW, but I should have joined a long time ago.

update: yeah it seems the ghouls and ghost is issue 4- but i know i'm getting warm :)

Hello. Any ETA on the third magazine.

Allright allright.. I think I'm refreshed enough to start another scan this week. :lol: Any votes on which it should be? EGM 1989 Buyers Guide (aka "EGM 0") or EGM #3?

EGM #0 shares much in common with Electronic Game Player I scanned above.. except it has a lot more color :) And EGM #3 is a very cool issue with the Turbografx and Genesis spreads, and DEFINITELY is the start of the classic EGM we got to know with the review crew scores and whatnot.

egm3_2.jpg

egm3_1.jpg

Anyway.. eventually both will be scanned. Question is which one next? :)

p.s. I noticed the EGP I scanned above was placed in the "misc." magazine section.. I think it should be put into the EGM section.. after all that's what it is :D

Please oh Please! EGM isuue #3. Thanks for posting that teaser! Old issues are really hard to find on ebay. Either way TIA.

Allrighty then.. #3 it is. I'm scanning it this week. I think I'm getting better but I find myself sometimes scanning a single page like 3 or 5 times just to get it straight :lol: Ah well.. sorry for the amateur skills but I will get it scanned :)

Allrighty then.. #3 it is. I'm scanning it this week. I think I'm getting better but I find myself sometimes scanning a single page like 3 or 5 times just to get it straight :lol: Ah well.. sorry for the amateur skills but I will get it scanned :)

Thanks. :)

You know...after like 10 magazines you get a hang of it. hehe