What Do You Like To Read?

Jareth247

I like reading whatever clicks, though I have an affinity for sci-fi, fantasy and horror.

Some of my fave books

* Harry Potter series

* A Series of Unfortunate Events series

* Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire

* Oz books by L. Frank Baum (already read the first one, much better than the movie)

* The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker

* Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card

and others

I'm currently reading:

* Books of Blood Vols 1-3 by Clive Barker (currently on "The Yattering and Jack")

* Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (it's the Broadway tie-in)

* Abarat by Clive Barker

In the last year, I've finished reading all the books in the Harry Potter series and the A Series of Unfortunate Events series.

I'd recommend "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy". Liked Ender's game when i read it in high school.

I've been meaning to read HHGttG, but I keep getting sidetracked. I'm probably a poser, since I got my copy after seeing the movie. Funny story: prior to seeing the film, I had a dream where it was happening for real, but before going with Ford I went to grab my GameBoy bag (at the time contained a single GBA SP and a bunch of games; now contains two SP's, a DS Lite, some DS games in their cases, and several more GBA games).

And I read Ender's Shadow BEFORE Ender's Game. It was in my junior year, and before reading EG, but after ES, Orson Scott Card came to my school, though I neglected to get his autograph :-(.

I also read Interstellar Pig right around the time I started to become a real ludophile. I even made a real version of it, which is a variation of the WarpSpawn version with elements taken from the book and original content (gave some nameless planets names, game certain planets alien species, etc). The current version is still in the testing phase. I'm still using the original cards (made with Microsoft Excel), but the board is the second version (with smaller planets and stars, all of which are circles; it's also in color and has a little handy guide to the board off to the left side). Future changes will potentially include new cards (with actual pics), a better board (preferably with better looking planets, a star-covered backdrop, and will be done with computers instead of being done by hand), a better looking manual, and so on.

I've read or am reading these:

Harry Potter series

Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind

Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin

just about all of Michael Crichton's books

just about all of Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child's books

I started reading the Wheel of Time, but got lost around book 4.

• 3 weeks later...
I am reading this:

The Ultimate History of Video Games: From Pong to Pokemon and Beyond

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51F2...1BL._SS500_.jpg

That's a fun read.

I started reading it last year in the summer since I love reading while sitting in the garden.

Got to about 2/3 but I'm planning to pick up where I left off when the weather gets better. :)

• 4 months later...

Apart from old video game magazine's, which I like a lot, I will pretty much read anything, as long as it grip's me early on.

I like to read every thing from comic's like 2000 A.D. to history books.

At the moment I'm reading The Catcher in the Rye again, which is my favourite novel.

I spend most of my time reading various websites or prepping for the class that I teach. When it comes to recreational reading, I'm actually a fan of science non-fiction. Some of my favorite authors include Richard Dawkins, Carl Sagan, E. O. Wilson, David Buss, Steven Pinker, and Richard Cialdini. I guess that my recreational reading is closely linked to my academic interests.

I've also been reading some graphic novels lately including Watchmen and Y: The Last Man.

• 2 months later...

Wow. OK. Let's see...

Anything by Terry Pratchett.

Anything by Orson Scott Card.

Anything by Alastair Reynolds (*amazing* sci-fi - you've got to read his "Revelation Space" novels, starting with Revelation Space.)

Anything by Neal Stephenson (Anathem is great, try _Snow Crash_ or _Diamond Age first.)

Anything by Robert A. Heinlein

Anything by Tim Powers (this guy will blow yer mind! I recommend starting out with _Last Call_)

China Mieville - The Scar, Perdido Street Station

Peter F. Hamilton - Night's Dawn Trilogy (*epic* sci-fi. You'll probably find the "trilogy" broken up in to 6 books)

Right now I am concurrently reading Neal Stephenson's new book Anathem, and two re-reads - O.S. Card's Worthing Chronicles, and Alastair Reynolds Redemption Ark.

Also, hurray on 100 posts!

• 4 weeks later...