Folding@home Reward System For June!

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

For those who don't know, Retromags set up a distributed computing team on Folding@Home. If you are not familiar with distributed computing or Folding@Home please click the link below...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding@Home

Basically it boils down to this, You install a small program on your computer. The program then uses a very small amount of processing power to do mathematical calculations. I have it running on 3 computers and at no time do I ever notice this program running. The results of these calculations are then reported back to the Folding@Home creators for analysis.

This program is non intrusive, and contains no viruses or spyware!

So starting today until July 1st, anyone who installs this program, and folds 10 work units. Will receive a 1 month Premium Membership. For every 5 work units you fold after your initial 10, you will receive another month of Premium Membership.

All you need to do is go to this website....

http://folding.stanford.edu/

Download the Folding@Home Program, and then go into the configuration menu and place your user name and the team number 54458

You are welcome to install this program on as many machines as you own, you will recieve credit for each username you setup.

So if your user name on Retromags is "SuperMan", and you install Folding@Home on 3 computers. You would use

Superman on machine 1

Superman2 on machine 2

Superman3 on machine 3

Make sure you enter the Retromags team number so that you show up on our stats page! It is 54458!

the retromags logo isn't showing up on the stat page

i'm going to install this on a few computers :)

still looking for a torrent to seed tho... :(

what hepls is to hold the windows page while opening >windowm3 in your run screen, go to host, and make sure all /0 are deleted.

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot belive that only four people are using this service it is for a very good cause.

I should hit the 10 unit mark in the next few hours.

It runs in the background and you don't know it is running.

How about more users using the great service

• Retromags Curator
I cannot belive that only four people are using this service it is for a very good cause.

I should hit the 10 unit mark in the next few hours.

It runs in the background and you don't know it is running.

How about more users using the great service

I thought there would have been a bigger turnout also, Its very simple to install and just like you said....you dont even notice it running.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Retromags Curator

That one is over with but we have this one now, that I added to the FAQ.

About Folding@Home

Folding@Home is a distributed computing program. This program is free of spyware and viruses and runs in the background of your computer almost unnoticeable. It performs calculations and returns those results to the Folding@Home creators so that they may better understand diseases such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, mad cow disease, cancer, Huntington's disease, cystic fibrosis, osteogenesis imperfecta.

Members of Retromags are encouraged to download this program and install it, a small icon will appear down where your clock is, if you right click on that icon a menu will pop up. You will want to choose "Configure..." and then go to the "User" tab and create a user name for yourself that matches your user name on these forums. You will also need to enter the Retromags team number which is 54458. Your results on how many Work Units you have completed will then show up on our Retromags Team Page. For every 25 Work Units that you complete you will earn 1 month as a Premium Member. If a member reaches 100 Work Units they will earn a 1 year Premium Membership. You can install this program and use the same user name on as many computers as you own, as long as your team number and name are the same they will show up as a combined total.

I got a PS3 on Monday and set up Folding@Home with the Retromags team info. Soon my lead should be even more commanding! Judging from the guidelines in the FAQ, I've now earned 20 years worth of lifetime memberships. :blink:

It's nice to see that a few more people are participating now.

I've just downloaded and set up F@H, and I have it running right now.

Welcome to the team. It's good to have another person (and another CPU) contributing to the cause. In the last week we've moved up about 60 places in the rankings.

I also want to remind anyone reading this that if you happen to have a PS3 you can use that to contribute too. In fact, the PS3 can process about three work units per day, which is more than the average PC.

Folding@home PS3 FAQ

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...