Favorite Retro Console?

lisalover1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is the Snes, mainly for the amazing Street Fighter 2 conversions from Capcom and of course because of all the brilliant first party Nintendo games.

The graphics and sound were so good on this console and even the way it looked impressed me (the European Snes).

The only down side to the machine for me was the fact that the Madden football games never seemed to measure up to the Mega Drive's version's.

Of all the console's that I've owned the Snes is definitely my favourite.

Super Nintendo... the system that kicked Genesis butt!

Seriously, I thought that as a kid, but reading these old mags nowadays I almost feel sorry for Sega.

The reviewers had to be political some times (Taz Mania for Genesis scoring the same 9 as Super Mario World????), but it's quite easy to see the Super Nes owned so much in its time!

I have a lot of fond childhood memories of the NES but the SNES beats it hands down in my book. Super Mario World was a fantastic launch game and the first game I remember staying up until the wee hours of the morning playing. Super Mario Kart started a classic franchise and is the first multiplayer game I remember really getting addicted to. Zelda: A Link to the Past and Super Metroid are are still my favorite titles in their respective franchises to this day. Those truly were epic games. There was just so much greatness on that system. Donkey Kong Country, F-Zero, Star Fox, Super Mario RPG, and I haven't even touched on all of the third party titles, RPGs, and that awesome accessory that was the Super Game Boy.

For me, there is no way to decide because I grew up in the advent of the hobby during the late 70s / early 80s. I had the most time to dedciate to the Atari 2600, so that holds an incredible amount of fond memories. Skipping over my C64 teens and got into my early 20s when still had some free time, the Super Nintendo was my go to system (though I played plenty of NES and Genesis). Now in my late 30s, I find I have much less time to play, but still get a great deal of pleasure playing both new games and retro consoles as well.

What I am trying to get at is that each system had a few games to ABSOLUTELY love, so choosing one over the other is making it seem as though the others were less enjoyable and that was NEVER the case.

Theres my 2 cents,

JOSEPH (aka Vince4587)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Either the Saturn or the SNES :-)

Saturn is also one of the easiest consoles to play imports on

(buy a Pro Action Replay 4-in1 cart, stick it in the cart slot and leave it there - gives you save game space, import converter, 4 meg RAM cart and a cheat device in one)

2D gaming forever! :Yahooo:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow, this is like trying to choose a favorite child. Where do we draw the line between classic and retro though? Classic to me is the past few gen's, retro would be like before NES.

I don't think I could choose, so many hours were spent in front of my NES, SNES, and PS1. Plus the retro units like Atari and Colecovision. Sega made great stuff although my Nin systems always had more of the games I preferred (not big on sports and fighting). The handhelds were a godsend on vacations, hot days in front of the AC, the rare power outage, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

NES is definitely my favorite and most-played. I still play it daily. I was too young for Atari, so NES was my first system at 3 yrs old. I do have an Atari now, but I didn't grow up with it.

After that SNES and Genesis/Sega CD. NES , SNES, and Genesis are the ones I have the best memories with. SNES only wins over Genesis because of all the good RPGs and platformers.

Genesis has some of the most original games in my opinion and the graphics are nicer. It seems like things on the SNES are always fluffy like clouds whereas on Genesis it's nice and clear. Compare Aladdin and Mortal Kombat on both systems and you'll see what I mean.