Any Good Place To Find Retro Gamer Scans?

gamingasshole

No problem. :)

The first rule we have here is that a magazine needs to be at least 5 years out of print before it can become eligible for scanning.

It's quite a big gap, but that's to make sure we don't hurt the publishers or writers/editors in any way as we don't want them to lose their jobs.

Since the first 30 issues of Retro Gamer are officially being sold in digital form by the publisher, the 5 year rule still won't allow us to start scanning the old magazines, as they are still bringing money in for them.

And €1 per issue is a very reasonable price for what you're getting. ;)

• Retromags Curator
No problem. :)

The first rule we have here is that a magazine needs to be at least 5 years out of print before it can become eligible for scanning.

It's quite a big gap, but that's to make sure we don't hurt the publishers or writers/editors in any way as we don't want them to lose their jobs.

Since the first 30 issues of Retro Gamer are officially being sold in digital form by the publisher, the 5 year rule still won't allow us to start scanning the old magazines, as they are still bringing money in for them.

And €1 per issue is a very reasonable price for what you're getting. ;)

Plus they were very kind to mention us in one of there magazines :)

Although last months issue mentioned Magazine collecting and we didnt get a shout out :mellow:

Plus they were very kind to mention us in one of there magazines :)

Yeah, in the NiGHTS issue with the Sega Saturn Magazine Special. ;)

Although last months issue mentioned Magazine collecting and we didnt get a shout out :mellow:

Noticed that as well. Found it a bit odd, but then again the articles are written by several freelancers...

The early issues of Retro Gamer, such as the bulk of the 30 on DVD, are from when Retro Gamer was published by Live Publishing. It's not that good, at all. Poor mashup articles and thoughtless design.

Since Imagine took them over, there's been a sea change in the quality. There are many in depth articles every month, and the thing has the look and feel of a quality publication.

• 1 month later...
Oh, thanks :). I'll check that out. I just assumed it might be among these ranks. I've read very little, and don't even live in the U.K., so I can't subscribe, but I didn't know DVD's of the issues were sold.

Actually you can subscribe from anywhere in the world.

http://www.imaginesubs.co.uk/ and click on the Retro Gamer cover. Then a subscription form will pop up. From there you can subscribe from anywhere in the world for a 13 issue subsciption. Mind you though. It will run you 70 pounds, which equals to:

$138.373 USD

or

$146.400 AUD

so yeah... but at least you can subscribe from anywhere in the world.

The early issues of Retro Gamer, such as the bulk of the 30 on DVD, are from when Retro Gamer was published by Live Publishing. It's not that good, at all. Poor mashup articles and thoughtless design.

Since Imagine took them over, there's been a sea change in the quality. There are many in depth articles every month, and the thing has the look and feel of a quality publication.

Yeh, the older ones are definitely not as good as the newer ones but there are a few good articles hidden among the rest of the crap.

I remember the first time I saw Retro Gamer magazine on the newstand in New Zealand and thought FANTASTIC!! Then I saw the price ... an astronomical $35 [approx 12GBP] and sadly put it back on the shelf as the price was just too steep. When you live on the other side of the side it was an opportunity to charge for the more esoteric mags like these as they only imported a few so it made the unit price wickedly expensive.

I recently got the 30 first mags off another site in PDF format and have to say that if the DVD for sale included the contents of the cover CD's then it represents great value in comparison to the original print copies and I'd happily buy it. If anyone here has the DVD can they tell me if the free cd materials are also included? I have the feeling though that isn't the case which seriously diminishes its value as a purchase.