Torrent Anyone?

Blackhat

Hi, sorry if I'm out of line but if you want to share the mags than surely p2p is the obvious solution. You don't have to pay for the bandwidth because people are downloading from each other instead of from you. You only have to seed it once. It would take the load of your server and make downloads faster. Am I missing something?

The one file I was able to download turned out to be damaged (GameProMarch1992SWATGuide.zip). I'm using the newest WinRAR if you're wondering.

Edited by Blackhat

• Retromags Curator
Hi, sorry if I'm out of line but if you want to share the mags than surely p2p is the obvious solution. You don't have to pay for the bandwidth because people are downloading from each other instead of from you. You only have to seed it once. It would take the load of your server and make downloads faster. Am I missing something?

Agreed!

But here is the problem......up until last November this is how we operated......Our releases were put up on Mininova and we ran a private FTP server. Guess what the number 1 problem was.......Only myself and a few others seeded! Now it was fine for a while, but when I am running a FTP server and hosting torrents.....it kind of gets to be a pain in the butt when you see that people cant even seed for a day.....they immediately jump off at 100%. Plus every time I wanted to play on Xbox Live ....I would have to shut down everything! Which would lead to 10 posts about why downloads weren't working.

So last November we moved to hosting the releases on this site, and posting them to Rapidshare for people who don't wish to donate or participate in the forum. Now I have ABSOLUTELY no problem if a user wants to distribute the Retromags releases through Torrents, DC++, P2P or Newsgroups.....the only thing we ask is that you don't modify the releases and release them how they are presented.....For example if a release is coupled with a .NFO text file....we ask that you distribute them together.....and if at all possible when you create the torrent you put a click able link in the description field that links to this site.

If you back pedal through the last few months of posts, I have been actively looking for members that would be interested in creating torrents .....we would love to have a multitude of members that would take our releases and place them on Mininova, The PirateBay, [censor bypass], Demonoid and BlackCats......No one has really shown an interest helping out with this though.

That's the fairest answer imaginable. You're like an Internet Gandhi.

I believe you about people running off after 100%. Pity about that. You could run it on a private tracker with torrents having IDs which would force pople to maintain a 1:1 ratio. Some other sites do that quite successfully. In fact, I have found one yesterday with some mags releases. Don't know if I'm alowed to link so I won't.

If you back pedal through the last few months of posts, I have been actively looking for members that would be interested in creating torrents .....we would love to have a multitude of members that would take our releases and place them on Mininova, The PirateBay, [censor bypass], Demonoid and BlackCats......No one has really shown an interest helping out with this though.

I would like to help out ... B)

[censor bypass] :D , and maybe bit gamer if they think it's ok... :huh:

Demonoid is no prom... :D

plus on the side :D if anyone want some invites let me know also( all 3) looking for blackcat (if they still have invite????) ;)

Please let me know

• Retromags Curator
I would like to help out ... B)

[censor bypass] :D , and maybe bit gamer if they think it's ok... :huh:

Demonoid is no prom... :D

plus on the side :D if anyone want some invites let me know also( all 3) looking for blackcat (if they still have invite????) ;)

Please let me know

Go for it, Keep me posted on what torrents you create and where. :lol:

No one has really shown an interest helping out with this though.

You forgot about all the torrents I posted to [censor bypass] so quickly :(

Type Name Seeders Leechers

(Magazines) Club Nintendo Classics - Holiday 1990 (UK) 4 0 (0)

(Magazines) EGM Buyers Guide 1993 3 0 (0)

(Magazines) Electronic Gaming Monthly 1999 Video Game Buyer's Guide 3 0 (0)

(Magazines) GamePro Complete 1996 Issues 78-89 5 0 (0)

(Magazines) GamePro Issue 001 May 1989 3 0 (0)

(Magazines) Nintendo Power Flash 1988 & 1989 2 0 (0)

(Magazines) Official Sega Saturn Magazine (UK) 1995 Complete 5 0 (0)

(Magazines) PSM 1997 Complete (Issues 001-004) 5 0 (0)

(Magazines) Sega Visions 014 (Aug-Sep 1993) 4 0 (0)

(Magazines) Sega Visions Issue 001 (Jun/Jul 1990) 6 0 (0)

(Magazines) Sega Visions Issue 002 (Oct/Nov 1990) 6 0 (0)

(Magazines) Sega Visions Issue 003 (Winter 1990-91) 4 0 (0)

(Magazines) Sega Visions Issue 006 (Fall 1991) 6 0 (0)

(Magazines) Sega Visions Issue 007 (Dec/Jan 1991) 4 0 (0)

(Magazines) Sega Visions Issue 017 (Feb/Mar 1994) 4 0 (0)

• Retromags Curator
You forgot about all the torrents I posted to [censor bypass] so quickly :(

Type Name Seeders Leechers

(Magazines) Club Nintendo Classics - Holiday 1990 (UK) 4 0 (0)

(Magazines) EGM Buyers Guide 1993 3 0 (0)

(Magazines) Electronic Gaming Monthly 1999 Video Game Buyer's Guide 3 0 (0)

(Magazines) GamePro Complete 1996 Issues 78-89 5 0 (0)

(Magazines) GamePro Issue 001 May 1989 3 0 (0)

(Magazines) Nintendo Power Flash 1988 & 1989 2 0 (0)

(Magazines) Official Sega Saturn Magazine (UK) 1995 Complete 5 0 (0)

(Magazines) PSM 1997 Complete (Issues 001-004) 5 0 (0)

(Magazines) Sega Visions 014 (Aug-Sep 1993) 4 0 (0)

(Magazines) Sega Visions Issue 001 (Jun/Jul 1990) 6 0 (0)

(Magazines) Sega Visions Issue 002 (Oct/Nov 1990) 6 0 (0)

(Magazines) Sega Visions Issue 003 (Winter 1990-91) 4 0 (0)

(Magazines) Sega Visions Issue 006 (Fall 1991) 6 0 (0)

(Magazines) Sega Visions Issue 007 (Dec/Jan 1991) 4 0 (0)

(Magazines) Sega Visions Issue 017 (Feb/Mar 1994) 4 0 (0)

I meant lately :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Agreed!

But here is the problem......up until last November this is how we operated......Our releases were put up on Mininova and we ran a private FTP server. Guess what the number 1 problem was.......Only myself and a few others seeded! Now it was fine for a while, but when I am running a FTP server and hosting torrents.....it kind of gets to be a pain in the butt when you see that people cant even seed for a day.....they immediately jump off at 100%.

Yeah, that's what I DISLIKE about torrents, there have to be other users online at the same time in order for you to download the files. That can be a downside because in order to get a faster download speed for that file more people need to have it. However, no body is going to be able to download it for the first reason I stated and also because of slow the download speed.