To Re-scan Or Not?

meppi

Rescanning?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Should I rescan my old releases?

• Yes please, the quality of the new ones is much better.
    • Don't bother, they are good enough as it is.

I've got a question for all of you.

I have noticed ever since I switched over to my new system and have begone using Photoshop instead of Photostudio that my scans look quite a bit better than the did say a year ago.

This is partly because I can see the spots and discolorations much better now than I could on my 6 year old LCD screen.

But also due to the new program I'm using, which saves the JPGs at a better quality without doubling or tripling the file size.

I have just purchased another copy of the Official Sega Saturn Magazine issue 1, since my original copy had a huge amount of discoloration on the white pages.

So I've started rescanning the first couple of pages and I would like to hear if it's actually worth all the effort or not.

So here is a CBZ file of the first 10 pages side by size. First the old version from september 2007, and then the new page which I just did.

Rescan test

It's a direct link, so don't worry about the cats. :P

I believe there's a big difference in quality, but I'm a bit anal when it comes to these kinds of things, so I'm looking for more input.

It will take quite a while to rescan all my magazines which I have done over the last year, but if it's worthwhile, I don't have a problem with it. :D

My new releases won't suffer from the rescans, as they would still remain my nr.1 priority.

I would simply do a couple of pages here and there in between other issues, whenever I don't feel like continuing on a certain magazine for a couple of days.

Well, thank you.

The things I'm noticing a lot now on my old scans are the yellow smudges on white pages and lightened parts, dust and spots on especially black pages.

As well as the colors which are a bit to light and washed out compared to the actual magazines.

If you still have magazines which have not been scanned at all, I would make those your priority, over rescanning issues which are already very presentable. Honestly, I don't know why you'd even want to rescan them when the first versions look almost perfect already.

I've rescanned two Nintendo Power issues, but in both cases I did not scan the original one, and a horrible job was done on them (almost unreadable pages which are crooked or cropped wrong), so much that I wanted a replacement version ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...