Wario Land Shake

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah that's true. The new Castlevania fighter doesn't interest me in the least.

I'd kill for a real 2D Castlevania game on the Wii...

Wario Land is looking better and better. Hadn't seen the new clip before.

I really hope that this along with Megaman 9 will sell incredibly well so perhaps companies will take notice and give us some good old fashioned 2D gameplay.

Iga has already said that he's watching how Megaman will be received and has been thinking what could be next for Castlevania when it is popular enough.

• Retromags Curator
Yeah that's true. The new Castlevania fighter doesn't interest me in the least.

I'd kill for a real 2D Castlevania game on the Wii...

Wario Land is looking better and better. Hadn't seen the new clip before.

I really hope that this along with Megaman 9 will sell incredibly well so perhaps companies will take notice and give us some good old fashioned 2D gameplay.

Iga has already said that he's watching how Megaman will be received and has been thinking what could be next for Castlevania when it is popular enough.

Some games are just better left in the 2D world...

Castlevania = SHOULD ALWAYS BE 2D!

Mario = Can swing either way

Mega Man = Should be 2D

Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat = I say leave as 2D

Tekken and Soul Calibur = Leave as 3D

Zelda = Can swing either way, but always loved the LTTP lookdown view

Final Fantasy = 3D

Sonic = Can swing either way

Kirby = Leave as 2D

I agree with all you've said Philly. Even the Zelda comment was spot on for how I feel about the series.

The only one I disagree on is Sonic. It should stay 2D as well.

Both the Dreamcast games were very good, but somehow it wasn't really Sonic gameplay in the same way as Mario transitioned between 2D and 3D.

And after the DC things only went downhill sadly enough.

Even though these games can't touch the MegaDrive originals, or even the Mastersystem games, I prefer the 2 DS Sonic games above any console one that came out in the last 10 years or so.

I believe that Sonic would have been much better in 3D if they had continued in the same way they experimented in Sonic Jam on the Saturn.

It wasn't perfect, and not even a full game but it sure was fun.

These latest ones with guns and now with swords just make me sad...

If Wario Land Shake and Mega Man 9 are successful enough, maybe we'll have hope for new 2D revival games. I agree that a new 2D Castlevania, Zelda, Metroid, or Mario would be fantastic. I'm really amazed that Mega Man 9 is being made. I hoped for a true retro 2D sequel but never thought that it would actually get made.

Speaking of 2D Zelda games, did anyone play Zelda Four Swords Adventures on GC? I'm trying to catch up on some titles I missed on that platform.

• Retromags Curator

I am curious to see how Sonic Unleashed turns out, since half if not more of the action will be 2D with 3D surroundings and graphics. But I think they should take a page out of Capcom's book and make a brand new 2D Sonic game in the exact same style as the classic Genesis games. Not the crusty so-so GBA and DS games. Genesis sprites (old school style Sonic), colours and sound, like how Capcom is doing Mega Man 9 exactly how it would appear on the NES. I don't think anything would be better than that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Retromags Curator
I'm sure it's a fun game and all, but there's no way I would be willing to pay $50 for it. $20-30 DS game? yeah maybe, $50 Wii game? screw off

Most Wii games are $50, so what's the problem? Just because it's in 2D? Why should that matter? It's a hell of a lot more work to make a 2D game using hand drawn sprites and backgrounds than it does to make a 3D game. 3D doesn't automatically make a game better or worth more. I am very happy to finally see a 2D game on a home console. 3D is getting old and stale. I am happy to pay $50 for it as long as it's fun to play. Unlike some people, I can appreciate excellent 2D games and don't whine when not every single game is in 3D.

• Retromags Curator
Looks awesome! I honestly don't care that its 2D, I would rather it being 2D. I probably won't get it but its a "if I get the money" on my list

If money is a problem you can always sign up for Gamefly and have 2 games delivered to your door each month for $20. That could equal up to renting 8 games a month for less then half the price of buying a game

Most Wii games are $50, so what's the problem? Just because it's in 2D? Why should that matter? It's a hell of a lot more work to make a 2D game using hand drawn sprites and backgrounds than it does to make a 3D game. 3D doesn't automatically make a game better or worth more. I am very happy to finally see a 2D game on a home console. 3D is getting old and stale. I am happy to pay $50 for it as long as it's fun to play. Unlike some people, I can appreciate excellent 2D games and don't whine when not every single game is in 3D.

Did I say 3D makes a game better? no.

However, I've played most Warioland games and I can't say they're ever worth more than $30.

• Retromags Curator

All the previous Warioland games have been on the GayBoy and GayBoy Advance. So of course they aren't worth more than $30. Most handheld games aren't. Excellent Wii games, on the other hand, are worth well more than that. And this one looks like a real jewel. But the proof is in the playing.

• 2 weeks later...