What Should I Get Next?

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

Ok so here is my list of owned systems and systems I still want. I cant imagine anything above and beyond this list. So if this was your list, what item would you get next?

Systems I Own

• Nintendo Entertainment System
  • Gameboy
  • Gameboy Color
  • Gameboy Pocket
  • Gameboy Advance SP
  • Nintendo Dual Screen
  • Super Nintendo Entertainment System
  • Nintendo 64
  • Nintendo GameCube
  • Nintendo Wii
  • Sega Master System
  • Sega Genesis
  • Sega Dreamcast
  • Sega Saturn
  • Sega Game Gear
  • Neo Geo Pocket Color
  • Sony Playstation
  • Sony Playstation 2
  • Sony Playstation Portable
  • Atari 7800
  • Microsoft Xbox
  • Microsoft Xbox 360

Systems I Want

• Atari 2600
  • Atari 5200
  • Atari Lynx
  • Atari Jaguar
  • Phillips CD-i
  • Panasonic 3DO
  • Nintendo Virtual Boy
  • Nintendo Game Boy Advance
  • Colecovision
  • Turbo Grafix 16
  • Sega CD
  • Sega 32x
  • Sega Nomad
  • GameBoy Micro

I'd buy more Japanese Saturn games and Dreamcast ones. :D

But from the list I would go for the Turbo Grafix 16, preferably the Japanese PC-Engine Duo-R as so many games only came out in Japan.

The 32X isn't really worth the money, even if I'm a huge Sega whore.

The Mega CD is, but it has a limited catalogue.

The Virtual Boy is something I really like. Again, it doesn't have many games but there are a couple real classics in there.

Pinball, Wario Land, Tennis,...

Never really had a problem with the headache thing most people like to throw around because they never even owned the system but read it online somewhere and want to look cool by bringing it up over and over again.

The GameBoys are always very nice, and I have several systems of every incarnation.

I'd grab an Atari 2600 while they're still functional, but that's because that was my family's (mostly my own) first console.

The Virtual Boy is a good choice if you want a complete collection for a system. The complete library of games, a dozen-ish, can literally fit in one hand. I saw the AVGN do it.

Edit: Ah, I just rechecked and saw you already have a 7200. That can already natively play 2600 carts, right?

• Retromags Curator

Get the Sega Pico. You'll score bonus points woman if she thinks you are into having kids. Meanwhile, you'll get it just to play Richard Scary's Busytown ;)

Get the Sega CD. There are some real gems on that system even though it didn't do all that well.

• 1 month later...

I'd get either a SegaCD or a 2600. If you look around you could pick up a 2600 with a bunch of games for really cheap. Every 2600 I've bought has included at least 10 games for under $15. The SegaCD did have a quite a few decent games and some others that just make you laugh, definitely worth it.

• 2 months later...

That's a great list of console's that you own. I actually used to own some of these myself but I stupidly sold many of them to fund my next generation console purchases.

Of course now I wish I had held on to them. The one console that seems to stand out to me that you don't own is the Neo Geo by SNK. I'm not sure of the price differences between the Aes and the Mvs or which one of these is easier to get games for but I think either one would be a good purchase.

Back in the day I really wanted one of these consoles, and while I may have been able to swing enough money for the console, the huge price of the games would have meant I would have only been able to get one or two games a year.

• 2 months later...
I'd go with . . . a life. This post just screams of you bragging about how much gaming gear you have and the fact that you have the funds to drop on more stuff. Nobody likes a braggard.

Eh, I don't view it as him being a braggard about his stuff and how much he can spend on more (for one thing, I don't remember seeing a value set for his spending limit). I mean, some people are going to be better off in life and able to spend more money on things than others. That is life.

But if what Phillyman makes you a braggard then I guess I should feel ashamed for some of my posts about my magazine collection or some of my financial excursions (meppi and e-day know what I mean).

Ah well.

Back to the topic at hand though:

From that list, I would go with the 3DO. I had one back when they dropped to $100 (you know right before they disappeared completely from most store shelves). Get Star Control 2 and the Shockwave games. Get Space Hulk on this system (not on PSOne or Saturn, if it was released on it) because the cool atmospheric heart beat (that speeds up as the action speeds up) is only in this version. There are a few other good games for this system you could play (if you like Tia Carrere, from Relic Hunter then get Daedalus Encounter). Kingdom the Far Reaches is another good game (also on the Halcyon).

Not on your list and just cool to have is the Halcyon system. Only two games were released for it and it was a laser disc only system from around 1987 or so.

• 4 months later...

I was going to say GBA or GB Micro, but you've got a DS and that'll play those games natively. With that in mind, surely the answer has to be a PC-Engine or a Neo-Geo? Mind you, actually affording any games for the NG will stop you in your tracks.

I'd go with . . . a life. This post just screams of you bragging about how much gaming gear you have and the fact that you have the funds to drop on more stuff. Nobody likes a braggard.

If you knew Philly a little bit better, then you'd realize how dumb that statement actually sounds.