Sony: PSP key to owning the living room

DealBot

Sony's Jack Tretton has commented that the PSP is one of the keys to Sony owning the living room. The reason for saying this is the portable's role in transferring movie and TV content, not to mention the PSP has sold over 35 million units worldwide.

View the full article

What would the world come to if people actually started playing games on the thing. :o

Jeezz, talk about the higher-ups not understanding what gamers want...

What would the world come to if people actually started playing games on the thing. :o

Jeezz, talk about the higher-ups not understanding what gamers want...

They don't care as much about the "narrow" market of gamers, as they do about how much cash they can bring in from as many sources as possible.

• 2 months later...

If Sony wants to own the living room they really need to work on their stuff more. I mean, it is cool they did add neat stuff in the PS3 like wi-fi and such so that you can connect to the PSP without wires, they just need to do something about the price of the PS3, or more specifically, promote one version and be done with it, I am so tired of Sony and Microsoft offering so many versions of their systems then wondering why gamers are confused.

Mine is still king of the drawer, it's been in there for so long I can't remember.

Only playing it once in a blue moon for WipEout.

How I wish both games would get released on the PS2. :(

I liked the original wipeout but after buying it on the PSP I sold it shortly there after.

I liked the original wipeout but after buying it on the PSP I sold it shortly there after.

I must say, my favorite WipEout games still are the original and WipEout XL/2097.

I bought the original games on Pal format when they came out, and recently bought the Japanese Saturn versions which I had a tough time tracking down.

And just 2 weeks or so ago I bought the Japanese PSone versions of those as well. Still love them to death. I never tire of playing those 2. :lol:

I've got two PSPs so my wife and I can each have one and play multi-player. I think it's an amazing handheld, especially with custom firmware so I can emulate so many classic systems. I also legitimately own many PSP games. I even bought a Location Free box so I could watch video feeds when at a WiFi hotspot, great from when my wife is shopping and I'm just sitting around.

But owning the living room is different. I understand that Sony is trying to make it part of a gaming and entertainment synergy with the PS3, and it's a cool idea -- but also wishful thinking. As much as I appreciate the PSP, it's never going to convince me to buy a PS3 and takeover my living room.

It's odd that he would talk about the PSP's "role in transferring movie and TV content" to the living room. I thought that one of Sony's primary goals was to push Blu-ray adoption. Other than possibly serving as a remote control for the PS3, I can't imagine that the PSP could have any use when it comes to Blu-ray playback.