Release List & Other Release Tracking

sav2880

Here's my random organizational thought for the day (can you tell I work in business?)

I got on the newsgroups last night and noticed that the first PSM issue came out, I'm presuming that Phillyman just went ahead and uploaded it to newsgroups (with the move, I haven't been hitting the torrent thing terribly hard). Which is totally awesome, except when you come back to the site, you have no clue or knowledge that Retromags just made a great release.

Is there any kind of plan to list the releases that Retromags has and will do? This would of course also be a good way to add links for Rapidshare, Torrents, note last newsgroup posting dates, and pimp the fact that if you become a premium member, you can just download the files locally, no hassle, it might increase the subscriber base. It also will help the outside viewer keep track of what is coming out next and give people reasons to continually visit the site, and that returning traffic I'm sure is key.

What does everyone think? Make sense or not?

P.S. - With the PSM release being 133 MB, I'm gonna get it on Rapidshare.de today in two files. (Now done)

One last quickie thought ... I also noticed that there isn't a .NFO file. I'd be curious what people's views are of wanting to have an NFO file with at least official releases to help get the word out, or if people would make it seem to "scene"-like.

• Retromags Curator

Unfortunatly i cant see downloading the releases from this website to be an option :(

Given each release is between 80mb-120mb .......My hosting service only allows me 10gigs

140 issues of Nintendo Power

80mb a piece

Thats over 10 gigs right there ......Doesnt even take in the fact of the PSM mags

So that feature probably wont be available

But Yes I will create a Thread of Whats been released.....Probably on Saturday :D

On the subject of a NFO's .......Yes i would love to create some .....but i cant find a format i like ......Something simple is all we need

The Site name in Ascii at the top

The Release Name

The Release Date

The Release Size

The Link to the Subscribing page (to support the publisher)

The Scanner/Editor of that Mag

Something like that .......Be nice to have some fancy ASCII borders or something .....if someone wants to draw up a template .....i am all up for it

I should rephrase locally as to instead say by "clicking a link", instead of having to go out to a service to find the files, through using those services like Rapidshare. Yeah, hosting the files locally would cost a crap ton to do in both space and bandwidth.

If you did a mockup using Amazon's new S3 service, 10 gigs would only cost $1.50 to host a month, but if 1,000 people downloaded a gigabyte each of files (and that's a way low estimate), that's .20 * 1,000 = $200. :(

I am willing to host an occasional file or two on my 250 GB of bandwidth a month through my own domain

Very cool idea, although I've been reading that they had some downtime ... but hey, free is free, no matter how you shake it, not to mention that they have apparently had few problems with bigger companies complaining about the content.

P.S. - As a guide to how much bandwidth they have to push, replacementdocs isn't even in their Top 100!

• 4 months later...
Unfortunatly i cant see downloading the releases from this website to be an option :(

Given each release is between 80mb-120mb .......My hosting service only allows me 10gigs

140 issues of Nintendo Power

80mb a piece

Simple, do what I do:

Convert the images to PDF format. With Adobe, it has a "two-page" option, so you can view the mag like it's supposed to.Plus, the file size is small.

• 2 months later...