Dell to Buy Alienware?

DealBot

An anonymous reader writes "Well, looks like rumors are flying, and Dell may have bought Alienware according to an article on cnet. It really would fit Dell well. They are the last big manufacturer not to use AMD, and this would fill that void. Acquiring this company would also help them grow their business to where they want it to be ($80 billion anually). One can only hope that Alienware support and hardware won't be ill effected by this acquisition."slashdot?g=4276

http://rss.slashdot.org/Slashdot/slashdot?m=4276

The Alienware machines do look really really good, and I have a friend who forked down the big bucks and got the $5,000 Alienware laptop that uses a P4 3.6 desktop processor! It likely is a great business move, but I doubt I'll ever see the effects of it considering I have no desire to spend that kind of money on a brand name. :)

It depends on how much Dell would want to personally affect Alienware's products. Dell is known for making it nearly impossible to upgrade your system (the one my brother purchased has major parts permanently adhered to the motherboard). I wouldn't buy an Alienware system (too pricey for me when I could just build one), but they have excellent products and a bold concept that I would hate to see compromised by Dell's need to make you keep buying a new comp every time you want to addon.

• Retromags Curator
It depends on how much Dell would want to personally affect Alienware's products. Dell is known for making it nearly impossible to upgrade your system (the one my brother purchased has major parts permanently adhered to the motherboard). I wouldn't buy an Alienware system (too pricey for me when I could just build one), but they have excellent products and a bold concept that I would hate to see compromised by Dell's need to make you keep buying a new comp every time you want to addon.

Alienware is nice for there Laptops .....but Dell is horrible for replacing parts .....I fix computers every day ....and most Dell customers end up leaving with there computer and a phone number for Dell :(

• 2 months later...

yeh... finding it almost impossible to add another fan to accomadate the THREE MASSIVE HARD DRIVES i wanna install... prob just goin to screw em onto the hard drive backs themselves... anyhow, this deal happened like 6 months ago... like back in the middle/end of 05!!!