Retromags Looking For Nintendo Game Guides!

Phillyman

Noticed you have Final Fantasy Tactics Advance on there, i have the guide for the original Final Fantasy Tactics, not sure if your interested in that or not

I don't think that list is correct anymore since the date change (Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is definitely a no no now, but the original may be ok-it was on PSOne right?).

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Super Mario Advance 4 guide I'd be willing to donate. Can't scan it, but I'd be more than happy to mail it. Drop me a pm with the mailing address :)

Can you look at the inside of the book, or it may be on the outside, but can you find the date it was published? It is possible that it is no longer allowed here due to the 1999 cutoff. I am sure someone may be willing to scan it for you but it would have to wait to be released.

• 1 month later...
As far as stuff you wrote in the mags, if you have time and don't mind, could you blot it out (mainly if it is personal info, like a mailing lable and such).

Most is game related. Stuff like, " I have this game" or where items are on the Zelda map. Maybe some Metroid or Kid Icarus codes as well. I'll see if I can't locate it tonight.

I found the guide and flipped through a few pages. The game listing pages have a ton of writing in them. I circled, checked, or colored in sections of games that I had. There's half a metroid password on that map, a kid icarus password on that section, and many, MANY item locations written in the Zelda sections. The Zelda section has the most writing in it.

I would call that one a judgement call really. I mean, you could scan it and if someone has the same issue without writing on the pages then that would save time as they would only need to scan the pages with writing on them (you could make a note of what pages have writing on them in the information area of the download page).

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

Well I'm new - but couldn't resist this topic. I have the Pokemon Gold/Silver guide - could I send you 5-10 pages worth to see if its okay, then to scan it and send it?

Also I know its sounds wrong but would I get the Premium membership for life? I have a load more guides to offer.

Btw I assume its the official one (a Prima guide with Nintendo's "Official Licence Product" stamp").

edit: wow the "NEWBIE" splashed below my name isn't patronising at all. Or maybe its a warning to others...

Edited by TyronW

• Retromags Curator
Hi there,

Well I'm new - but couldn't resist this topic. I have the Pokemon Gold/Silver guide - could I send you 5-10 pages worth to see if its okay, then to scan it and send it?

Also I know its sounds wrong but would I get the Premium membership for life? I have a load more guides to offer.

Btw I assume its the official one (a Prima guide with Nintendo's "Official Licence Product" stamp").

edit: wow the "NEWBIE" splashed below my name isn't patronising at all. Or maybe its a warning to others...

Welcome TyronW!

Take a look at the guide you have and make sure that its publication date is December 1999 or prior. If it meets that requirement, then by all means go ahead and scan a few sample pages for us to check out. As far as your status, if you scan the entire guide.....you will be bumped from Newbie to Team Member :)

The Newbie tag is only there until you reach your 25th post. Its meant to be a motivator so that you participate in discussions or the project :)

Hi there,

Welcome to the project. We are always glad to see new members willing to help out and participate in any way they can. As far as the membership upgrade, I will have to leave that for Phillyman to answer as I don't know for sure (my brain is frazzled at the moment).

As far as the guide, when was it printed? I am not familiar with Pokemon and when they released what. As long as it is printed before 2000 then it is ok and can be uploaded here. Checking the game guide download section shows we have no Pokemon strategy guides up yet so no worries about it being a duplicate.

Go ahead and scan a few pages so we can get an idea of how you are scanning. You may want to use a piece of black construction paper behind the page being scanned and a heavy magazine to hold down even weight so that everything looks as good as possible. Don't worry too much about keeping it straight, although it is appreciated, it is understood that it is not always going to come out perfect. Just make sure to get the whole page scanned.

Welcome to the project. We are always glad to see new members willing to help out and participate in any way they can. As far as the membership upgrade, I will have to leave that for Phillyman to answer as I don't know for sure (my brain is frazzled at the moment).

As far as the guide, when was it printed? I am not familiar with Pokemon and when they released what. As long as it is printed before 2000 then it is ok and can be uploaded here. Checking the game guide download section shows we have no Pokemon strategy guides up yet so no worries about it being a duplicate.

Go ahead and scan a few pages so we can get an idea of how you are scanning. You may want to use a piece of black construction paper behind the page being scanned and a heavy magazine to hold down even weight so that everything looks as good as possible. Don't worry too much about keeping it straight, although it is appreciated, it is understood that it is not always going to come out perfect. Just make sure to get the whole page scanned.

Thanks guys, a quick $20 soon sorted out the NEWBIE thing :P. Only joking, what you guys are doing is so amazing, and I feel strongly about what you guys are doing. I believe I can help, money and scans. I hate to see any form of media or knowledge disappear.

I have an Epson V200 Photo - and regarding the magazine is it easier to debind them? The G/S guide is kinda falling apart anyway, and only cost me 50p from a boot sale.

The guide says Copyright 2000 - but I'm from the UK - is the date 2000 an issue with copyright?

Also this guide is on the wanted list on the OP - so its dated 2000 and on the wanted list - confused? lol

Thanks guys, a quick $20 soon sorted out the NEWBIE thing :P. Only joking, what you guys are doing is so amazing, and I feel strongly about what you guys are doing. I believe I can help, money and scans. I hate to see any form of media or knowledge disappear.

I have an Epson V200 Photo - and regarding the magazine is it easier to debind them? The G/S guide is kinda falling apart anyway, and only cost me 50p from a boot sale.

The guide says Copyright 2000 - but I'm from the UK - is the date 2000 an issue with copyright?

That is a good question. Off the top of my head, I would say it is too new, even if by just a few months or more (depending on when it was printedin 2000). You could go ahead and scan it since it is falling apart before it deteriorates too much and has to be thrown away.

Thank you for your help (I take it you did donate money?), every bit helps in the long run.

That is a good question. Off the top of my head, I would say it is too new, even if by just a few months or more (depending on when it was printedin 2000). You could go ahead and scan it since it is falling apart before it deteriorates too much and has to be thrown away.

Thank you for your help (I take it you did donate money?), every bit helps in the long run.

Yeah I did donate, so lunch is on me tomorrow :P

Will send you the first 5ish pages by tonight.

Yet its on the OP's wanted list. Thats whats confusing me.

That list is way out of date, it was made prior to the date change (formerly it was 5 years back was the cutoff, rolling forward one year on January 1st-1994, 1995 etc). The cutoff date is now 1999 and holding there.

That list is way out of date, it was made prior to the date change (formerly it was 5 years back was the cutoff, rolling forward one year on January 1st-1994, 1995 etc). The cutoff date is now 1999 and holding there.

Oh I see, well can I still send you the 5 pages? Also how do I send it? Sorry I'm still learning.

Oh I see, well can I still send you the 5 pages? Also how do I send it? Sorry I'm still learning.

No problem. We are all learning, just some are a little more ahead of the others in the class. :) As far as sending the pages, just scan them at 300 DPI, zip them up and upload them to either rapidshare or megaupload and post the link here.

• Retromags Curator
Yet its on the OP's wanted list. Thats whats confusing me.

Yeah this is totally my fault, We were staying 5 years behind the current date......but that started pushing us into the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube era. So we made a change to not go past 1999. As such you will find posts around the forum that have not been edited yet, but our cut off is December 1999.

No problem. We are all learning, just some are a little more ahead of the others in the class. :) As far as sending the pages, just scan them at 300 DPI, zip them up and upload them to either rapidshare or megaupload and post the link here.

Here are my five Pokemon GS pages.

Uploads!!!

I won't do any more, unless its okay to publish this one.

But if its not accepted, then could you guys offer some advice on the quality of the work? I don't mind criticism.

The scans look great. Are you editing them by cutting the edges off of the scans? If so, when you scan, can you leave that grey or black area that the scanner puts there in there? That allows whoever is editing a little room for clipping after rotating the pages back to straight without removing much of the mag itself.

They look good though.

The scans look great. Are you editing them by cutting the edges off of the scans? If so, when you scan, can you leave that grey or black area that the scanner puts there in there? That allows whoever is editing a little room for clipping after rotating the pages back to straight without removing much of the mag itself.

They look good though.

Yeah I did, i previewed them and then cropped the area, and scanned the image. Thanks, I've done a few but they've always been with awkward angles. With the Pokemon GS guide falling apart it was so much easier.