Retromags Looking For Nintendo Game Guides!

Phillyman

Yeah I did, i previewed them and then cropped the area, and scanned the image. Thanks, I've done a few but they've always been with awkward angles. With the Pokemon GS guide falling apart it was so much easier.

While most people are not interested in "editing" a mag that is crooked, I for one don't mind, I mean, I would rather have the whole page scanned and spend time rotating rather than lose a lot of it due to clipping.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While most people are not interested in "editing" a mag that is crooked, I for one don't mind, I mean, I would rather have the whole page scanned and spend time rotating rather than lose a lot of it due to clipping.

If I were to send an unedited magazine to someone, who would be the best person?

I got some Playstation magazines before 1999.

I have an Epson V200 Photo - and regarding the magazine is it easier to debind them? The G/S guide is kinda falling apart anyway, and only cost me 50p from a boot sale.

Personally I always debind the magazines because the scanned quality is definitely better when you're just scanning a single page as opposed to flattening the magazine on the scanner. However, if you wish to keep the magazine afterward then I would suggest not debinding it. I've just gotten to the point where I'm tired of having hundreds of magazines taking up an entire bookcase, and once they've been preserved on the computer then I don't feel so bad that I'm destroying them. Also, I keep the original scans (@ 300 DPI) so in the future when monitor resolutions become so high that 1600 pixel wide images are considered lo-res I'll just rescale the original images and re-release. Just my $0.02 :D

Personally I always debind the magazines because the scanned quality is definitely better when you're just scanning a single page as opposed to flattening the magazine on the scanner. However, if you wish to keep the magazine afterward then I would suggest not debinding it. I've just gotten to the point where I'm tired of having hundreds of magazines taking up an entire bookcase, and once they've been preserved on the computer then I don't feel so bad that I'm destroying them. Also, I keep the original scans (@ 300 DPI) so in the future when monitor resolutions become so high that 1600 pixel wide images are considered lo-res I'll just rescale the original images and re-release. Just my $0.02 :D

I completely understand Waremongers point of view, it is valid 100% through and through. I just have a problem debinding for some reason (I have those debound issues you sent me in various states of safety, covers are in frames in my home office and I have the Zelda guide in one of those 3 ring binders with the pages in sleeves for my fiance to reference when playing the game-thank you).

I am getting to the point where I may have to debind, like my issue of NGamer #1, they printed so close the spine inside that it is impossible to get a clean scan out of it (the print is within 1/2 inch of the spine in some sections, I am not sure if I just have a messed up copy or not). I have a duplicate Gamefan here, one is perfect, as usual in print while the other everything looks like it was printed twice and you shifted slightly so it appears to "ghost."

After having the floor fall through in my storage area (where the mags were kept, they are all over the house now, distributing the weight) I have decided I will have to do something else.

I just have a problem debinding for some reason

Believe me, I feel your pain lol! I've been lugging most of these magazines around more than half my life so it was definitely a little gut wrenching to destroy them. I just put myself into the mindset that, in reality, I will look at these on the computer way more than I would ever pull them out of the book case and look at them. Not to mention that it is a very laborious process and I never want to have to scan these things again so I'm trying my best to make sure I do everything right the first time.

I have a duplicate Gamefan here, one is perfect, as usual in print while the other everything looks like it was printed twice and you shifted slightly so it appears to "ghost."

After having the floor fall through in my storage area (where the mags were kept, they are all over the house now, distributing the weight) I have decided I will have to do something else.

My girlfriend always teases me about that whenever we move but it's never happened yet. Ultimately, for someone wishing to keep their magazines in-tact this would be the best option (having two copies) but that can be expensive - not to mention a hobby in itself trying to track down the issues.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, I have a lot of german and english scans of "Instruction Booklets", "Gameguides" and "Comics".

How can I upload them?

I have the "Official Super NES Game Guide"

It's a PDF and has about 60MB.

I Have scans of Virtual Boy Manuals too.

snesgameguide.jpg

And here is my SNES Scan

SNES.jpg

Edited by diholli

This scans are made by myself

My apologies if I came off as rude there diholli, we had a certain member not too long ago that uploaded a bunch of scans that he downloaded from other sites similar to Retromags (but very focused either on a magazine or a system).  

Thank you for helping out with the project.  It is greatly appreciated.

Mario Paint Nintendo Player's Guide, incoming. I will apparently have to debind the mag to get a good scan. :o

I know I'm supposed to pm Phillyman a sample but he hasn't responded yet and I have a limited time which I'll be free to scan some mags for the time being. I hope my work is satisfactory. Up next is my GoldenEye Player's Guide, unless someone has already done it.

Edited by Tony_32

I'm new here and thus am not sure if this is where I'm supposed to post this.

But I have a number of NP strategy guides I'd be willing to donate if any responsible member/staff person wants to scan them for the site. I'm not sure what all you already have nor what your cutoff is as far as publication date. As such, I'll just list every one I have, and someone can tell me which ones I can donate. :)

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons / Oracle of Ages

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past / Four Swords

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (Player's Choice)

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

New Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Yoshi's Island DS

Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

(And yes, I'm pleased to report that the first Link to the Past guide listed above is the 1992 Super NES version guide. ;))

I apologize in advance that many of the covers, at least, are not in the greatest condition, being somewhat battered. (I got most of these guides online as used, so they came that way.) But if you can still use them, I'll offer them up!

EDIT:

Now looking back through this thread and the guidelines, it looks like the 1999 cutoff date goes for these kinds of guides too. In which case, that would make A Link to the Past and Super Mario World 2 the only guides I can offer. I actually think Oracle of Seasons/Ages should be valid as well. Technically, the games and the guide are 2001, but they're for the Game Boy Color, and I consider the GBC to be an extension of the original Game Boy and thus "retro" enough to count. What do you all think?

Edited by Rew

@Tony:  If you can post a couple of pages of your finished edit in the forums somewhere (maybe start yourself a work in progress thread here).  That way, other people that may have more time can check over your work to help facilitate things.

@Rew:  I believe a couple of those guides are past the cut-off of 1999, namely The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past / Four Swords, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (Player's Choice), The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.  Can't forget these either, New Super Mario Bros., Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Island DS, Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.

@triverse: Wait a minute, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island is from 1995, well before the cutoff date. That one can still be submitted, right?

Anyway, I'd like to donate Super Mario World 2 (the original SNES version), A Link to the Past (also from SNES), and Oracle of Seasons/Ages (since it's for Game Boy) if anyone is interested in scanning them.

@triverse: Wait a minute, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island is from 1995, well before the cutoff date. That one can still be submitted, right?

Anyway, I'd like to donate Super Mario World 2 (the original SNES version), A Link to the Past (also from SNES), and Oracle of Seasons/Ages (since it's for Game Boy) if anyone is interested in scanning them.

My apologies, I had a brain fart and thought that Super Mario World 2 guide was for the GBA version (which was released after the cutoff). 

Thank you for being willing to donate to the cause. We have a thread going where you can post what you have available and hopefully someone that is needing something to scan can get in contact with you there.  Just make sure to make it clear if you want the guides back after scanning or not before making arrangements with anyone.

That forum is located here.

Got another one upload here. It's just a small mag that was a bonus issue for NP. I didn't see it in with the other NP mags so I scanned it. Even googled and only see one reference to it from another site so it may be kind of rare on the Nintendo Power scale. I'm thinking it's from late '99 so it may be old enough to be in the Retromag library. Still kind of pissed at my soiling some of my Goldeneye guide pages. There's a few wrinkly spots on some pages but I'm hoping the scanner may flatten them out. I haven't had time to finish it yet but I'm still kind of busy atm.

Edited by Tony_32

Your editing looks wonderful, clean and clear.  The only thing I would request you change is the width your saving them at, your currently at 1280, is there anyway you can save them at 1440?  I will go ahead and start the upload of your Mario Paint guide and have the release information changed over to you on it.

Thanks.

Also, I will send you the info for the FTP so that you can just upload straight away without going through the extra hoops.

Wow I feel like a slacker with all these people doing work and me sitting here with out a job even. Though in my defense I still don't even have an apartment yet. Technically that makes me homeless. But we are staying with the in-laws (so as not to freak anyone out).

Oh and thank you Tony_32 your avatar for some reason gave me an idea to draw a new wallpaper.

I have you beat there Thor. I do computer work but here lately it has slowed down to a trickle (my ratio of free vs paid work is at about 90/10) and I am going to start looking for something a little more regular soon.

Your not slacking anyhow, just take care of you and yours, Retromags will be here when you get back. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All!

It all began with me digging out the old SNES. I started to play 'Secret Of Mana' again and remembered that my friend once had a guide to the game. I wondered if this could be found on the internet, I mean this is more than 10 years old. But hope dies last and i began to search for it. I DID FIND it HERE. So first of all, I'd like to THANK YOU all from the project for this.

I instantly liked the idea of your project, preserving those "treasures" for the future". And I am very interested in supporting you (a bit).

I have several N64 game guides, but they're all in GERMAN. Tell me if you're interested.

Here's the list:

- The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time (1998, bad condition)

- Banjo-Kazooie (1998)

- Donkey Kong 64 (1999)

- Perfect Dark (2000)

- The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask (2000)

I am also a former member of the CLUB NINTENDO Austria / Switzerland. If you are interested, I could try to find some old magazines (our attic is a gold mine, I'm always surprised when opening an old box down there).

I'd also like to help building the wiki, but I really don't know which information you want there (I haven't been looking yet though). Should I just transfer the Contents Table of the different magazines, or do you want an abstract of every article? Tell me how you do / want it.

At last, I'd like to ask some other questions:

- Are all the magazines in black / white and why is this so? (I just got the 'Secret Of Mana' Guide and this was b/w)

- Are all the mags in picture format? (Again I only have the mentioned guide for comparison) I think the pdf format would be much better for Navigation and Overview.

Thank you for replying.

Greets,

hds