Wipeout HD One-Year Anniversary Impressions

DealBot

wipeout_hd_impressions.jpgIt's been a year since we first went hands on with Wipeout HD, the (eventual) PlayStation Network release that acts as a sort of remastered greatest hits comp from the series' past decade. The SCEE developed racer may have looked pretty sharp the last time we saw it, but it looks light years beyond that now.

So, happy anniversary Wipeout HD! We got you the traditional gift — hands-on impressions!

The presentation has received a noticeable amount of polish over the past year, with a more informative heads up display, slick new menus, a feature rich photo mode and additional graphical effects. Lighting and shadows look softer and more realistic, with ships more layered in sci-fi eye-candy than before.

When we played Wipeout HD at the previous Games Convention, we were limited to just a few racing teams and tracks. This year, we had access to the first portion of the campaign mode, with a broader selection of vehicles and paint jobs.

The campaign is stuffed with opportunities to win medals, with challenges based on lonely time trials — full race or a single lap — and competitive races against a line-up of CPU opponents.

Splitscreen is also in, with both horizontal and vertical layouts that should make every Wipeout fan happy.

Gameplay was largely the same, given that the Wipeout HD is a remake. That said, the game feels like more of a full-fledged release, now that it's been given additional time in the incubator. It's looking like it's going to be worth the wait.

View the full article

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I downloaded this title recently and absolutely love it. The game is fluid and the controls are responsive (sans sixaxis since I never use it). I love how you can play your music from your HDD while playing the game. For those that have Wipeout HD, check out this link for some good tunes to add:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336451

It looks amazing but I have quite a lot of Wipeout games already on the Ps1 and Ps2 so I don't know if the graphical update is enough for me to get this game. Sure does look good though.

Oh it is for me. The first Wipeout game was the best Wipeout that was released.

[edit]

Damn it... I can't download it. I've tried 2 different types of cards and the PS Network wont accept either of the credit card numbers it says there is an error on the card number that I typed when there isn't. Man that sucks.

[edit, edit]

Ok went out and bought one of those prepaid Sony cards and that did the trick. Only now I have $0.01 in my online wallet that will probably never get used. But at least I'm downloading the game now and I also downloaded the Wipeout music pack that you posted. I can't wait to try this out.

No Way!

This game is great. It just like the original game only better. I can't believe how fun this game is :Yahooo:

I have not installed the music to play with it I've just been listening to the sound track that came with it and they did an amazing job. I think the music in this game is better than RR7. But man oh man by far the best thing about this game is the Zone Race that is so trippy! The one question that I have for you though is... HOW DID I MISS THIS BACK IN AUGUST WHEN YOU POSTED IT! AND YES I'M SHOUTING IT******