Which Of The Following Is Better?

E-Day

• Retromags Curator

I have 5 issues of GamePro from 1995 waiting to be scanned. They are staple bound and a pain to scan, though I might do it anyways. I might even dismantle them.

Anyhow, when looking at some of my scans, I noticed that the colours are not as vivid as some other members' scans. Up until now I had been using the default colour profile that came with my 8-year-old scanner. Tonight I tried the colour profile that came with my LCD monitor and the scan looked more vivid. Then I tried some other profiles. In the light of the room I am in, it is hard to tell which is closer to the actual magazine. The Samsung is more vivid, but it's also darker than the actual magazine.

So which of the following would be considered best for future scans (none have been colour-corrected in Photoshop nor have brightness/contrast been adjusted on the scanner):

Default Canon Scanner Profile

DefaultCanonScanner.jpg

Samsung Natural Color Pro LCD Profile

SamsungNaturalColorPro.jpg

sRGB IEC61966-2.1

sRGBIEC61966-2.jpg

Adobe RGB (1998) Profile

AdobeRGB1998.jpg

Apple RGB Profile

AppleRGB.jpg

I find the first three to be the best. The Samsung is a bit dark and the sRGB a bit too light, but on my last scan, some of the colours seemed hazy using the default Canon profile.

Opinions? I am just wondering what others here prefer out of those 5...well, three, since the last two are almost identical and too pale :)

• Retromags Curator

So I take it that having the scan resemble the actual magazine as close as possible isn't necessarily desirable? I can understand that, as reading something on a screen is very different than reading something from a page.

So far number 3 is kicking butt. I'll eventually scan different kinds of pages with the first three profiles to get a definitive result.

For me its' a tossup between 1 and 3.

I'm using Canon Scangear software along with Photoshop for scanning and have all the image settings set to either OFF or NONE.

But comparing the actual magazine to the scan, I have to adjust the saturation by +20 to get the most accurate and vibrant picture possible.

A lot depends on the screen you have as well, compared to my new one, my old one only seems to show brown and grey shades. ;)