Nes Cart Tricks

perudon

Do you remember how everyone used to have their own special way of getting those troublesome NES cartridges to work on the orginal front-loading NES model? Do you remember what your trick was?

Mine was to blow air across the bottom slot twice, put it in the console, push it up and down in the console a couple of times, remove, blow twice, put the cartridge in again, and let 'er go.

I had a friend who only partially pushed the cartridge down into the machine and then lodged a Styrofoam cup in to kep the cartridge down. Weirdo...

Do you remember how everyone used to have their own special way of getting those troublesome NES cartridges to work on the orginal front-loading NES model? Do you remember what your trick was?

Mine was to blow air across the bottom slot twice, put it in the console, push it up and down in the console a couple of times, remove, blow twice, put the cartridge in again, and let 'er go.

I had a friend who only partially pushed the cartridge down into the machine and then lodged a Styrofoam cup in to kep the cartridge down. Weirdo...

Depending on which NES machine I was using I had a couple of tricks. (Funny, the original one I got when it first came out has never had a single cartridge issue). One of the old brick style machines required that I jam the cartridge in and then shove one of the controllers into it in order to hold the cartridge at the proper level. A different one (I had a big family so it was required to have more then one console to prevent death and/or destruction) you had to force the game in so that it barley went into the machine and rubbed up against the front. Then you had to lightly tap the outside to cause the cartridge to shift up slightly. If you tapped to hard you started over, if you didn't tap hard enough you would almost always get the sound, but no picture. It was more of a game getting that NES to WORK then actually playing anything.

I ended up taking the black plastic game cases and putting it on top of the Nes game to hold the game down.

Mine had the same hot spot, except as a kid I used a plastic white queen from a chess set we had in the basement. The woman did wonders.

Edited by Lock3r

• 4 weeks later...