1st Rpg Game You Ever Played...

ROCKSTAR6000

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was the 1st RPG game you played and did you beat it back then, beat it later on in life or have never completed it??

Mine was Crystalis for the NES and yes after a few hard months of playing it I did actually beat the game.

Although I don't really consider it a rpg, Crystalis was an early one for me, too. I'd have to say mine was Dragon Warrior. My best friend sent me the NP strategy guide to help me out. That series has had its hooks in me ever since. B)

Although I don't really consider it a rpg, Crystalis was an early one for me, too. I'd have to say mine was Dragon Warrior. My best friend sent me the NP strategy guide to help me out. That series has had its hooks in me ever since. B)

Ditto. Dragon Warrior on the NES. Great game, great series.

Though Crystalis and Willow were awesome action-adventure games back in the day too.

Well Zelda isn't actually an RPG, and the Dragon Quest games and FInal Fantasy ones never came out over here, my first one was Mystic Quest on the SNES.

Not the greatest game, but I loved it at the time because it was something that I never had seen before.

This was a couple of years before I started importing games. ;)

I have played many of RPG's...

1. Legend of Zelda

2. Legend of Zelda 2

3. Legend of Zelda 3

4. Legend of Zelda 4: Link's Awakening (Finished)

5. Soul Blazer (Finished)

6. Illusion of Gaia

7. Final Fantasy 2,3

8. Secret of Mana (Finished)

9. Golden Sun (Finished)

10. Golden Sun 2 (Finished)

11. Mario RPG

12. Others that I have tried (Terranigma, Earthbound, Secret of the Stars, Chronotriger, Robotek)

There is some debate as to whether Legend of Zelda is a RPG and I kind of lean towards those who say it isn't. However, if you do think it is a RPG then Zelda is my first. If not, Final Fantasy IV is the first RPG I played. At the time I played it they were still calling the US release "Final Fantasy II". I had a friend tell me about how great the game was during gym class one day and I rented it the next time my mom took me to the video store. How I miss the days when I could rent a game for $1...

There is some debate as to whether Legend of Zelda is a RPG and I kind of lean towards those who say it isn't. However, if you do think it is a RPG then Zelda is my first. If not, Final Fantasy IV is the first RPG I played. At the time I played it they were still calling the US release "Final Fantasy II". I had a friend tell me about how great the game was during gym class one day and I rented it the next time my mom took me to the video store. How I miss the days when I could rent a game for $1...

Some argue it is an ARPG, like the Oasis series or Elemental Gimmick Gear, which are normally regarded as ARPG. I say it isn't. In RPGs, your character has hit points and stats. Zelda doesn't have them, so I think it is an Action-Adventure game.

Some argue it is an ARPG, like the Oasis series or Elemental Gimmick Gear, which are normally regarded as ARPG. I say it isn't. In RPGs, your character has hit points and stats. Zelda doesn't have them, so I think it is an Action-Adventure game.

I think I am in agreement with you on that. While you collect and/or purchase items and their is a system of character upgrades you don't have the stats and points (hit, magic, etc) of a proper RPG. I did want to give a shout out to Zelda though. It's one of the games my parents bought us with the console and it holds a special place in my heart. I remember asking a friend at school about tips on the game. She knew the answers because her dad had beat the game already.

Zelda was unquestionable by everyone an Action RPG until the late 90s when every RPG newcomer that started with Diablo or Final Fantasy 7 became RPG elitists. You can go back to these magazines and see for yourself. You can also go back and see what an "Action / Adventure" game was too. Action / Adventure was a blanket term given to any game that wasn't a turn-based, sports game, or puzzle game. This would include everything from Zelda to Donkey Kong Country to Mario. The people that claim that the "Action / Adventure" is a real genre just take all the elements that make a Zelda game and apply it to the "Action / Adventure" genre. Action Adventure was never a real genre until the last few years.

108.jpg

RPG is a very very very broad term, there is no concrete definition for one. You also have to remember the Legend of Zelda came out in 1986 in Japan and 1987 here. In this time, there was only a handful of RPGs out. Dragon Quest, Black Onyx in Japan, and Ultima, Might & Magic and various other PC RPGs..

ggg.jpg

You also have to remember back then every game that wasn't an RPG was an arcade style game. Zelda, along with Ultima, and the other few RPGs out at the time broke this mold. There was no 1-1 stages, there was no dying and going back to the start of the game. Link is a character that continue to get stronger and stronger through the game with upgrades. From the start of the game to the end of the game Link is 20xs stronger. This only applies to RPGs back then. I know someone will bring up Experience Points, but why are experience points so important? I can name dozens of RPGs that don't use experience points, yet people don't give those games crap for it. If you think about it, experience points are a very outdated way to get stronger. When Link beats a dungeon and kills a boss, he is rewarded with another heart piece (HIT POINTS), later in the game he can get better armor that doubles his Defense, or stronger weapons that boost his Offense. How is this not an RPG?

hgvjnklm.jpg

While the combat in Zelda isn't totally stat based, why does it have to be? People today are getting way way to anal about their genres, especially when it come to Zelda, everyone has venom to spit out about that series, despite how important it is to the genre itself.

gg.jpg

Anyone remember the term "Zelda clone" and how it applied for every single Action RPG that came out after it?

I have one question for you deniers, can anyone name me a single more important game to the Action RPG genre than The Legend of Zelda?

jjj.jpg

Obviously, no gamer, anywhere, under any circumstance, truly thinks Zelda is a bad game. It's definitely one of the best games on the NES, and even of all time.

Well if there are people out there that believe Mario Galaxy is anything but amazing, then surely there are those that think Zelda is crap.

No matter how wrong they are. :P

Dragon Warrior was the first RPG I played and I didn't like it one bit. Not until I tried part 4. Then I went back and played part 1 and loved it. I think the RPG that is nearest to my heart is Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. It was something. It was from a time I was sort of on my own without anyone to play RPG's with. And it was great from beginning to end.