1st Rpg Game You Ever Played...

ROCKSTAR6000

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I don't consider Zelda an RPG (more of an action/adventure) I think it was either FF1 or Dragon Warrior 1. Forget which I had first. Looking back on them both were hard as hell compared to today's RPG's. DW required way too much grinding. I beat the game eventually but it turned me off the series. FF was great at the time, although I probably can't play the original now since the battles are too frequent and it requires hours of time to make it to your destination and then get back to the inn to save.

Ugh. I am going to feel old, but I believe mine was a D & D game for the Commodore 64. That was the first REAL RPG. It was totally text based and required a 7-layer wheel to enter the proper password to start. Yeah. I was a young kid then so just working the wheel properly was an rpg in itself. I think eventually I learned enough to get out of town and fight a "monster" but at that point I just gave up and went back to playing games that were more fun...with less reading.

Ugh. I am going to feel old, but I believe mine was a D & D game for the Commodore 64. That was the first REAL RPG. It was totally text based and required a 7-layer wheel to enter the proper password to start. Yeah. I was a young kid then so just working the wheel properly was an rpg in itself. I think eventually I learned enough to get out of town and fight a "monster" but at that point I just gave up and went back to playing games that were more fun...with less reading.

Well, if we're going that way, then before I got Dragon Warrior, I got Gateway to Aphsai (that's probably spelled wrong) for the Atari 800. That game was probably my first introduction to the Roguelike* (though the dungeons weren't actually randomly generated) and, for that matter, exploiting the (nonexistant) pathfinding AI of the enemies for cheap kills (enemies went on a straight line towards you, meaning that if you interposed a corner between you and them just right, you could take them out without fear of retribution. It's, technically, the first RPG I ever beat too.

*Yes, I know it's not a proper roguelike - for starters the dungeons weren't randomly generated, but it's close enough for government work.

----------------

Now playing: 1UP.com Staff - Retronauts Podcast Episode 53

via FoxyTunes

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If Zelda counts as pure RPG (really more of an adventure game, but it works), that was my first back on the NES in the late 80's, otherwise it was Breath of Fire on the SNES in '94. I was really into platformers and fighters back then, but when I saw my cousin Illusion of Gaia and Mystic Quest I knew I had to run out and get one for myself. Had absolutely no clue was I was doing and just kept dying on the first boss repeatedly. I thought the correct procedure was to just keep rushing him since I was doing a little better each time when gaining levels along the way to his room. When I finally discovered healing items, it was smooth sailing from then on, and it soon became my favorite genre.

Mine was Super Mario RPG. At the time, I was most definitely not an RPG fan, but I was a Mario fan, so when I saw it up for rent, I knew I had to try it. And, boy, did I have no earthly clue how the hell I was supposed to play it.

Well, that's not entirely true. I kinda was able to wing it, until I got to the Hammer Bros. At that point, I promptly lost. I tried many times, and lost to what was arguably the easiest boss battle in the game (and certainly the first one, as Bowser didn't count for anything ;)). I returned the game, feeling a bit disappointed (I think, it was an eternity ago, really!)

Much later on, I decided to give that game another chance, especially since I had a dream telling me to do so (yes, you heard that right. A dream told me to give Super Mario RPG another go-around. Though, to be fair, it was a pretty standard dream, not like those BS lines of dialogue in Paper Mario where characters talk about oracles visiting in their dreams, but my dream's message to me was clear all the same). Well, at that point, I couldn't rent any Super NES games anymore, as we were already well into the 5th generation (32/64 bit era), so I had to buy it used. Naturally, I did just that, and found out I couldn't stop playing it. Well, that's not really how it was, as I got stuck at times, but I loved it all the same. I think it was at that point I realized I liked RPGs. Though I don't really remember when it was, actually, now that I think about it, but I think that was it.

Well, in any case, I can definitely say SMRPG was the first game of the genre I played.

Oh, and yes, I beat that game after a few years (Pathetic, huh?). Currently playing through a hard type hack of it called SMRPG Remix, as I consider myself fairly knowledgeable of the ins and outs of that game, but...yeah.

Well, that's not entirely true. I kinda was able to wing it, until I got to the Hammer Bros. At that point, I promptly lost. I tried many times, and lost to what was arguably the easiest boss battle in the game (and certainly the first one, as Bowser didn't count for anything ;)). I returned the game, feeling a bit disappointed (I think, it was an eternity ago, really!)...

Super Mario RPG : The Legend Of The Seven Stars

And just like EarthPhantomTS, it was very hard for me to win against the Hammer Brothers.

Of course my lack of experience with RPGs did count a lot, but I partially blame this on the

fact that it was the japanese version (the only one available to rent), thus I had no idea

about what was going on and even though Toad teaches you how to do timed hits right on

the beggining of the game, it was all in japanese and I had no ideia of what he was talking

about. All I did was to keep hitting A and eventually I got out of the tutorial. And facing the

hammer bros without timed hits is painfull, at least for me it was, but eventually I got through.

I remember reaching the second boss, but then it was too late, it was time to return the game.

Some time later my neighbour found another place to rent games and they not only have

a bigger SNES collection, but 99% of the game there were the US version, including SMRPG.

Then, finally, I was able to finish it.

All I can say is: FANTASTIC GAME!!!! If you haven't played yet, you don't know what you're

missing!

Super Mario RPG : The Legend Of The Seven Stars

And just like EarthPhantomTS, it was very hard for me to win against the Hammer Brothers.

Of course my lack of experience with RPGs did count a lot, but I partially blame this on the

fact that it was the japanese version (the only one available to rent), thus I had no idea

about what was going on and even though Toad teaches you how to do timed hits right on

the beggining of the game, it was all in japanese and I had no ideia of what he was talking

about. All I did was to keep hitting A and eventually I got out of the tutorial. And facing the

hammer bros without timed hits is painfull, at least for me it was, but eventually I got through.

I remember reaching the second boss, but then it was too late, it was time to return the game.

Some time later my neighbour found another place to rent games and they not only have

a bigger SNES collection, but 99% of the game there were the US version, including SMRPG.

Then, finally, I was able to finish it.

All I can say is: FANTASTIC GAME!!!! If you haven't played yet, you don't know what you're

missing!

Agreed on all accounts. Super Mario RPG was the first I played as well and absolutely loved it!

When I fianlly got a Snes the first RPG I played on that was FF II (IV) and up until now it has been one of the best RPGs I ever played. And the only one I've finished more than 3 or 4 times.

Well... FF IV was the first game I played on an emulator. It was like:

"Lets see if this ZSNES thingy really works. And, if it does, let see who

is that Cecil fella everyone keeps talking about"

The emulator did work and the game... WOW!

What was the 1st RPG game you played and did you beat it back then, beat it later on in life or have never completed it??

I'd have to go with Legend of Zelda when I was about 4. I made it surprisingly far for a 4 year old, I remember playing through level 5(with mom's help, I'm sure)! Then I moved to Zelda 2 and a few other games that I can't quite remember anymore. Anyhow, Zelda opened the door for me. Since the NES and those unknown RPGs I started with the best console RPG platform IMO, the SNES. From there in chronological order, I played-

1. Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past

2. EarthBound

3. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

4. Final Fantasy II

5. Final Fantasy III

6. Secret of Mana

7. Secret of Evermore

8. Chrono Trigger

I mainly played all the classics from the system, I didn't deviate very much because I didn't like what I found. I could never get into Ultima or Phantasy Star, though I tried. I just didn't like how they looked and played.

Edited by Mister Zero

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Zork

and then Zork 2

of course, if you mean graphical rpg, it was probably CastleWolfenstein... is that an RPG? we had that on my dad's Apple IIe... i guess thats not an RPG though, so if that doesnt count... then probably The Legend of Zelda or Dragon Warrior for NES

Edited by benjamindlevin

• 2 weeks later...

I think my first three were all Ultimas:

Ultima IV for Apple IIc in 1987 - it took me about 6 months to realise that the little dagger-looking icons were actually doors, so I didn't get very far prior to that.

Ultima V for Apple IIc in 1988 or 89

Ultima VI (again) for Master System in 1991 - which I finally finished about two years later!