Post=download

MathUser

That little promotion you guys got going now is great. I don't know if you guys wanna expand it but I think that you should do it again sometimes soon.

In the meantime I have a suggestion. You should do something similar at all times. Say 2 posts, or any set number gives a free download. If 2 is to small then set it higher, like 5.

That little promotion you guys got going now is great. I don't know if you guys wanna expand it but I think that you should do it again sometimes soon.

In the meantime I have a suggestion. You should do something similar at all times. Say 2 posts, or any set number gives a free download. If 2 is to small then set it higher, like 5.

Personally, I think posting just for a download ratio only really encourages those people who have no vested interest in the site either from a contribution or enthusiast point of view. By that I mean people sign up, post, download and move on. Is that what we want? Look at it another way ..... Phillyman made the total contributions to the site available via torrent on Mininova where the bandwidth is shared across all those downloading and is that still torrent still well seeded? Last time I looked it wasn't ....showing people generally just grab and run. So why make it even easier with the added "benefit" of a cr.pload of inane comments in the forums? I cant see this type of person contributing raw scans, completed magazines etc so it ultimately benefits no-one else.

Doesn't worry me one way or the other but that's just my opinion.

Yeah, but this promotion was to increase forum activity. I'm not sure how active it was before. But to me it seems fairly active. And it's more fun to converse with a multitude of people.

Yeah ... but conversing with people genuinely interested in the site & topics is completely different to talking to people saying any old thing just to get a download.

As I said before ... I dont care either way ... I contribute scanned/completed magazines so I dont need to bolster the forums with messages just for the hell of it. Although as someone who has asked for comments on whether it is worth scanning a particular magazine before and never receiving any feedback from anyone I do understand Phillyman wanting to get more participation from people .....

Well .... as long as they bring posts relevant to the site that's great.

Comments like "I agree" or This rocks" etc don't really add much to a post do they?

The problem is that the people who stumble onto the site and are interested in what it represents will end up contributing actively anyway. I can't remember how I ended up here, but once I saw the goals of the site it made me want to contribute, although I must admit the lack of comments on submissions threw me a little bit. But I'd rather have one comment from a Retromagger genuinely interested in my work than 10 from people who are just waiting for the next release and want to know when it will de done.

• Retromags Curator

I don't think any kind of promotion is needed. If someone REALLY wants access to the magazines, they'll sign up and be active, or pay the dirt cheap membership. That's what I did. I didn't think twice about spending a measly $5 to get access to the magazines I've missed over the years. I think it's in the site's best interest to attract those who are really interested in this geeky stuff and who will contribute in some way (posts, donations, scans, etc), as opposed to drive-by users who come to grab one item and never return. Plus those who are really interested will take the time to figure out the confusing navigation of the site.

• Retromags Curator
Well it can take a while before the money is actually transferred and the only one who can upgrade the account is Philly.

The donation box at the bottom does not automatically move members over. Its really there for people who wish to donate without signing up for an account here. I will move you over in a few :)

I think you get the same access to download limits if you scan and upload a magazine which I am sure would be preferable for the site but some people dont have scanners, magazines etc so the donation thing helps those people out.

Mind you ... upload a mag and you qualify for premium member according to the FAQ and yet here I am .... a lowly Team Member ... and I lost my nice blue Scanner button ..... sniff sniff ... whats up with that?

ROFL .... who gives a sh.......... as long as you can download a few files here and there eh :D

I think you get the same access to download limits if you scan and upload a magazine which I am sure would be preferable for the site but some people dont have scanners, magazines etc so the donation thing helps those people out.

Mind you ... upload a mag and you qualify for premium member according to the FAQ and yet here I am .... a lowly Team Member ... and I lost my nice blue Scanner button ..... sniff sniff ... whats up with that?

ROFL .... who gives a sh.......... as long as you can download a few files here and there eh :D

In all seriouslness, I actually do miss my "Premium Scanner" blue button. Also Philly, you better get that "Scanning God" button ready because I think Meppi is really close to 50 uploads.

• Retromags Curator
In all seriouslness, I actually do miss my "Premium Scanner" blue button. Also Philly, you better get that "Scanning God" button ready because I think Meppi is really close to 50 uploads.

Well I am really close to 150 scans :P

I think Meppi designed the buttons, maybe he can redo them

I'm at 48 right now according to the upload system. But I'm redoing most of my previous ones in between new scans, so it will go quite slowly to reach Philly's numbers. And then I'm not even taken into account the mags he'll be scanning in the meanwhile. ;)

Well I am really close to 150 scans :P

I think Meppi designed the buttons, maybe he can redo them

Not sure if I did those old ones. I think I might have done them last year on the old system with PhotoStudio.

I might be able to put something a bit more special in this time.

How about letting VIP members have a say in creating their own tag plate?

Just an idea.

Once I make a template for the new one it should be easy to fill in the text and create different ones.

What style should I go for?

If i could get an example of some sort it would make it even easier to know what to do.

I'm at 48 right now according to the upload system. But I'm redoing most of my previous ones in between new scans, so it will go quite slowly to reach Philly's numbers. And then I'm not even taken into account the mags he'll be scanning in the meanwhile. ;)

Not sure if I did those old ones. I think I might have done them last year on the old system with PhotoStudio.

I might be able to put something a bit more special in this time.

How about letting VIP members have a say in creating their own tag plate?

Just an idea.

Once I make a template for the new one it should be easy to fill in the text and create different ones.

What style should I go for?

If i could get an example of some sort it would make it even easier to know what to do.

You have way more creativity than me. Put together a few and I'll help choose. I think I am close to 50 anyways :Yahooo: