Need Some Help With Photoshop Batch Editing

Waremonger

I've learned a lot reading some of the older posts here - especially the tip of rotating using the ruler tool. That is saving me a tremendous amount of time. What I need help with is to have Photoshop go through a folder of images and crop to a specified width (or height). Now obviously I know how to do this for an individual image. I was also able to create an action to do it, but it kept doing it to the same image - I couldn't figure out how to get PS to go into a folder and apply that action to all the images in that folder. Can anyone give me a hand?

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention is that I want the images saved losslessly (preferably PNG, but BMP, TIFF, or PSG would also be fine).

Edited by Waremonger

I've learned a lot reading some of the older posts here - especially the tip of rotating using the ruler tool. That is saving me a tremendous amount of time. What I need help with is to have Photoshop go through a folder of images and crop to a specified width (or height). Now obviously I know how to do this for an individual image. I was also able to create an action to do it, but it kept doing it to the same image - I couldn't figure out how to get PS to go into a folder and apply that action to all the images in that folder. Can anyone give me a hand?

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention is that I want the images saved losslessly (preferably PNG, but BMP, TIFF, or PSG would also be fine).

Open all the files in PS and then create an action for resizing, saving, and closing the image. This way it uses the currently selected image, which will change when the previous image closes. I used to use the ruler tool, but now I use the horizontal line crop option to figure out if I have to rotate left or right. Then I use actions that either rotate .2% clockwise or counterclockwise. Also, it is much easier, and faster, to use that horizontal tool to determine if the page even has to be rotated. Also, I can blaze through them about 1 every 5-10 seconds.

Open all the files in PS and then create an action for resizing, saving, and closing the image. This way it uses the currently selected image, which will change when the previous image closes. I used to use the ruler tool, but now I use the horizontal line crop option to figure out if I have to rotate left or right. Then I use actions that either rotate .2% clockwise or counterclockwise. Also, it is much easier, and faster, to use that horizontal tool to determine if the page even has to be rotated. Also, I can blaze through them about 1 every 5-10 seconds.

Unfortunately pretty much every page needs to be rotated. I have been using the horizontal and vertical line tools to do crops. I had no idea the horiz and vert crop tools existed until I read an earlier post here (which I think was yours).

Thanks for the cropping tip, it's working great.

Edited by Waremonger

Unfortunately pretty much every page needs to be rotated. I have been using the horizontal and vertical line tools to do crops. I had no idea the horiz and vert crop tools existed until I read an earlier post here (which I think was yours).

Thanks for the cropping tip, it's working great.

Another thing I found to save me TONS of time is to have the rectangular crop set to "Fixed Size" and use it for every page. This way you don't have to worry about scanning the page exactly the same. This saves time on scanning because you can just throw the page on and scan without aligning or putting into a template. Then, I just rotate later using the horizontal crop (called Single Row Marquee Tool). Another thing that makes the workflow faster is doing the same action for all pages. This eliminates the need for switching between the different tools for each page.

My flow:

1. Scan all pages

2. Rotate each page

3. Use rectangular crop at a fixed size (this sometimes has to be adjusted because the earlier and later pages in an issue tend to be a little wider. This probably is only the case for the staple bound issues)

4. Batch resize, save and close (go to File -> Automate -> Batch and then select the action)

Another thing I found to save me TONS of time is to have the rectangular crop set to "Fixed Size" and use it for every page. This way you don't have to worry about scanning the page exactly the same. This saves time on scanning because you can just throw the page on and scan without aligning or putting into a template. Then, I just rotate later using the horizontal crop (called Single Row Marquee Tool). Another thing that makes the workflow faster is doing the same action for all pages. This eliminates the need for switching between the different tools for each page.

My flow:

1. Scan all pages

2. Rotate each page

3. Use rectangular crop at a fixed size (this sometimes has to be adjusted because the earlier and later pages in an issue tend to be a little wider. This probably is only the case for the staple bound issues)

4. Batch resize, save and close (go to File -> Automate -> Batch and then select the action)

That's pretty much how I did it. I wasn't aware that the rectangular crop could be set to a fixed size so that was definitely a good tidbit to know. I appreciate the help!

• 4 years later...
  • 4 months later...

photoshop is a very complex image editing tool for new learners, i am new in image editor, so i am afraid to use it . instead i choose simple image editor library to manipulate my images, cropping rotating and resizing are its basic features. now i can make images as i desired.

i get photoshop is difficult, but there are also some video on the web that can help you complete resizing, cropping or rotating. please check out. i still think photoshop is what we should use.